Blacktail Bob 10-Apr-16
CDogger 10-Apr-16
Blacktail Bob 10-Apr-16
Deathmoan 10-Apr-16
g5smoke21 10-Apr-16
Deathmoan 10-Apr-16
Frank Sanders 10-Apr-16
09-Apr-16
I was originally looking into hunting blacktail on kodiak and the guide that I have been talking to has informed me if I wish to do so I may add a kodiak bear if drawn for an awesome price. My question is this. For guys that have hunted kodiak bear which fall week would you pick. October 25 through Nov 1 or november 4 through Nov 11

09-Apr-16
Correct it will be 2018. I already have a goat hut booked in BC for 2017 sI that probably is out. I know that the hunts are not the ideal length but the price is right for it so there will defiantly have to be a bit of luck. I was just worried about bears going into dens early. Also the full moon that year is October 24 do I don't know how much that will affect

09-Apr-16
I agree with Maverick, not enough time. I've never heard of anyone booking a 7 or 8 day Kodiak Brown bear hunt. You might kill a bear on the first day, but I hope you're getting a really good price.

Especially if you plan on Bow Hunting, if I had my choice, I'd pick the earlier hunt.

09-Apr-16
My 15 day period will begin opening day, the 25th of October, this fall. Really looking forward to it.

09-Apr-16
It's a very good price from what I have seen. He is a good guide with good reviews on BS. He told me he doesn't remember anyone who did not have a shot opportunity on a fall bear. Please keep info coming. Nick good luck on your hunt!

09-Apr-16
Thank you Maverick I really appreciate the advice / info!!

09-Apr-16
Maverick pm sent!!

09-Apr-16
I got it Mav...thank you

09-Apr-16
Earlier is typically a little better. I am an Outfitter/Guide there, if you have any questions I can help with send me a message. The area I hunt is tough in the fall, I do primarily all spring hunts

09-Apr-16
Frank pm sent thnks!!

10-Apr-16
Hi Frank,

I have the tag for at my cabin in Bumble Bay next spring. I'm thinking about going early, April 1, to target bigger bears. Would you go that route or would you wait till the end of the season when more bears are out?

This past March I saw a giant bear while Goat hunting before the 20th of the month. But, I only saw one bear over the ten days we were at the cabin.

10-Apr-16
No way I would commit to only 7-8 days. Not enough time when you factor in the weather. I've hunted in the fall 3 times and have spent more than half of each 15 day hunt weathered in, unable to hunt. Not saying you couldn't get lucky and hit the weather perfect. But its a huge gamble. I'd ask for all 15 days starting the 25th. Bears may still be picking up the last remaining salmon early on in the hunt.

10-Apr-16
Thanks for that advise. Thats kind of what I thought. I can sit at the cabin and glass that bowel and the beach from the cabin to beyond where your talking about.

That said, the only bear I saw this past March was over toward the Old Red River.

10-Apr-16
Maybe your outfitter could add a couple days for you, sounds like bear is the add on and not the deer? I've yet to meet someone who could tell me x amount of days won't work and actually know that for a fact. Had several clients wrap up and be done in one or two days. If 8 days wasn't enough, might as well sleep in the tent till day 9. But hunting doesn't work like that. Make the most of what you've got, even if it's only two days. If you tell yourself something isn't going to work, you've already mentally handicapped yourself. Brown bear can be a mental game, but if your there dropping deer carcasses on the ground things might unfold smooth for ya. You didn't say, rifle or bow?

10-Apr-16
Deathmoan you are correct the bear is the add on. I had not even considered it an option until now. And yes I will ask to see if possibly it could be a 10 had hunt. As far as weapon I would love to use a bow but that is up in the air right now

10-Apr-16
If the bears a add on and days can't be added but the price is right...7 or 8 days is a lot better than hunting deer and seeing some sweet bears but not bothering with at least trying for the tag!!

10-Apr-16
Bob. send me a text or call. That is tough, with clients I try and go in late April, so that we can target multiple bears/increased opportunity. If you know the area well enough then you could be in good shape, problem I've had is over the years bears do what seems like erratic behavior (I'm sure if I watched it year in and out it would make more sense) when they come out of the den. I've had them lay up for a week to 10 days and I've seen them leave and never come back! On even years I have to be out by May 5th to catch the Peninsula opener on May 10th and then hunt through May there, or I would hunt later. Definitely see more rubbed bears later though

• Sitka Gear