BLACKBEAR 10-Apr-16
Owl 10-Apr-16
Canuck 11-Apr-16
grape 11-Apr-16
grape 11-Apr-16
Ibow 11-Apr-16
Jersey Todd 13-Apr-16
09-Apr-16
I just booked a cancellation hunt in Manitoba for black bear. I've never hunted bear and I'm looking for advice on shot selection and execution. I'm using a recurve bow and will be hunting over bait and less a spot in stock opportunity arises and I will take it.

10-Apr-16
Stay away from the front shoulders and stay 4 inches behind the front leg not to low and not to high u will be eating bear steak. Good luck

10-Apr-16
Same as shooting a deer, half way up the body, behind the shoulder, broadside or slightly quartering away. When a shooter bear comes in I shoot him ASAP as this is the best time for a broadside, once they get comfortable at the bait and start working the barrels they tend to twist, bend, lay down, stand up, and sit making a shot risky.

Good luck

10-Apr-16
First...good luck on this hunt. You're going to a very special region and the bears in there are almost beyond comprehension.

Lots of thoughts on shooting bears. One that comes to mind is that really big bears often don't hang around bait sites long and it's advisable to take the first GOOD shot you get as long as you know it's a big bear. That can actually be as a bear approaches the bait slowly and before they sit or lay down to feed. Once they get in, they often are in weird positions where a shot is not advisable.

Bears often rattle first-time hunters. They walk in slowly looking at you. They feign as to leave, then return. They bluff, growl and chase each other. You can have bears in your tree or the next tree over. When the action gets cranking or a bear is 'playing' you, it's hard not to feel some pulse-pounding excitement...and it can last hours. Get ready.

Go up one post and read what carcus said....again. Very good succinct advice. Don't overthink things and DO blow off any pressure to shoot. Take the shot when YOU are ready, and not before. The bear I killed last June was on the bait nearly 30 minutes and chased off several other bears. I was ready to shoot, but the bear just didn't offer the position I wanted. Something alerted him (likely another bear) and he suddenly stood up fully. When he started moving and got broadside I punched his ticket with a rib-shot...the arrow thudded into the poly barrel and snapped as he bolted. I watched him crash and burn a few seconds later.

10-Apr-16
Ask your outfitter to have a stand for you that is very low & very close to the bait. Keeping it low increases the odds for catching both lungs, which is something you'll want to do with a bear and keeping you close decreases the odds for a marginal shot.

Good luck on your hunt. Manitoba is an amazing place and you'll have a great time for sure! Be sure to post picts!

10-Apr-16
ibow what is "very close to the bait"?

10-Apr-16
Three feet.

10-Apr-16
Dear Lord " I pray that this thread not be overwhelmed with the ridiculousness that most bears threads on shot placement do. Only with your power Lord will Middle of the Middle or Over the Hip not be argued as anything other than unethical. We are thankful...Amen"

10-Apr-16
My past 3 bears , 2 with compound bow I was 12 feet up in stand and shot was no more than 10 yards does this mean anything! maybe ,maybe not.But all 3 bears I let settle down as well as myself and were quartering away with front leg extended

10-Apr-16
Carcus x 3. Take the First good shot You get. Best of luck . Hunt

10-Apr-16
Michael if you can have guide lay barrel down so bear will be quartering away from you as the bear enters the barrel to get bait it worked for me 7 times have fun and good luck.

10-Apr-16
Be sure to take a double lung shot. Double lung bear typically die quickly - faster than deer, imo. Lethally but marginally shot bear are recovered at a very poor rate.

11-Apr-16
NOT bragging, just want to establish that I have bear hunted. I have taken 20 with a bow. All of the above is great advice, EXCEPT the 3 feet distance. This far too close. I did take a shot at a lying down bear, BAD idea. We found it, but only through a grid search. Never again!

11-Apr-16
If your hunting with a bow the best advice is "Patience"...Do not take any shot but the one that you have not practiced, pictured in your mind, and are very comfortable with. Hunting bears over bait is as exciting as it gets. The bears know you are there. Wait until they settle down and turn the way you want with their front leg forward. If they run off at some point...in all probability they will be right back or the next day. There is no quicker way to ruin a hunt than to take a shot that you do not have complete control over.. Good luck to everyone this spring...

11-Apr-16
correction I just reread my post...It should read.."Do not take any shot but the one "you have practiced"..oops

11-Apr-16
Thanks David... Yeah, I was joking but not joking about being low in a stand and as close as you're comfortable with to the bait.

LOL David, what was that stand we named? Grandpa Jack's? Now that was close and low. 8~) That was such a fun spring. I think about it all the time.

Grape's advice was very good - "Do not take any shot but the one you have practiced, pictured in your mind and are very comfortable with."

13-Apr-16
I know a couple of these guys have taken lots of nice bear and rattling_junkie is right listen to your outfitter/guide. Always practice and only take ethical shots as Manitoba Bohuntr said. 3D targets have the sweet spot on them. Practice with your hart pounding then practice more.

• Sitka Gear