Z Barebow 22-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 22-Apr-16
Z Barebow 22-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 22-Apr-16
Z Barebow 01-May-16
midwest 01-May-16
Z Barebow 02-May-16
10-Apr-16
What type of targets will hold up to broad head target shooting????

10-Apr-16
The Rinehart 18 in 1 is my personal favorite.

10-Apr-16
I know a guy who fills a plastic paint bucket...with the lid on...with spray foam insulation. Packs it in, screws the cap back on, lets it set up, and good to go.

I like it better than my old dirt bank...waaay easier on my Grizzlies.

10-Apr-16
Regardless of target, one might dull the fixed blades so that they do not cut up the target so fast.

10-Apr-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Would love to have one of these....

10-Apr-16
Big hurt, what kind of target do you have?

10-Apr-16
If you want to just buy one, get a Rinehart. I shoot a lot of arrows with BHs and have used all the major brands. Rinehart stands up to BHs the longest.

Once you start losing the foam with the paint on them, just take white spray paint to make new spots to shoot at. You can make them 1/2 inch to 3 inches in diameter for different distance shooting.

10-Apr-16
Rinehart

11-Apr-16
Rinehart

11-Apr-16
pile of sand or dirt...

11-Apr-16

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Best target ever 20 years

11-Apr-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here's mine. Lasts a long time and easy to replace layers when they get shot out.

11-Apr-16
i now use a cheesehead mike stand per his recommendation.. it is cheap, durable, and long lasting.. best I have used to date

11-Apr-16
What kind of styrofoam is that and what are the dimensions?

11-Apr-16
Hey, Mike,

What are the dimensions on that again?

11-Apr-16

Each layer is 2" x 32" x 16".

The target is 32"W x 16"D x 36"H (not counting wood)

You can get 9 pieces out of a 4' x 8' sheet so you need 2.

Owens Corning pink, I think it's called Foamular.

After using it for several years I don't see ever using anything else. I might even make a small version for out-state hunts.

11-Apr-16
X2 on cheesehead a design. Have one for home and one for deer camp. Made them last year and still looks great with no pass thoughs

11-Apr-16
Do you shoot field points in this target as well?

Do you recall what the price of a sheet is?

11-Apr-16
Hey Mike pretty cool thanks for the info. Can you shoot field points too and how hard is it to extract the arrows from the target with either field and broadheads. Thanks

11-Apr-16
Get that name patented...'The Cheesehead Mike Target'

Genius and much cheaper than the £150 [$180+??] I've just paid out for a new Rinehart Rhinoblock...

11-Apr-16

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it!

Yes, I got tired of spending big money on broadhead targets and having them wear out so fast. Also, this target is big enough that you don't have to worry about missing it when shooting extreme long ranges.

I don't normally shoot field points at it but you could. I haven't shot many field points into it but I don't remember them being overly difficult to pull out. I might shoot a little tonight and I'll try it again and let you know.

Broadheads pull out relatively easy, I'd say easier than most commercially made targets I've used. Usually when the broadhead protrudes out the backside I'll make sure the blades are lined up with the slices so it's easier to pull out or pull them all the way through.

The only negative is you may get a little pink residue sticking to carbon arrows but it scrapes off. I shoot mainly FMJ's and it doesn't stick to the aluminum.

If anybody is interested you scroll to the end of the thread at the attached link, it shows how I built my field point target. This is an awesome target too which lasts a long time and is extremely easy to pull arrows out of.

11-Apr-16
Mike,

Great info. Thanks so much for sharing

11-Apr-16
Around here the 2in foamular is 34 a sheet

11-Apr-16

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo

11-Apr-16
mine is a little different same concept though...

i wanted it a little smaller and deeper.. no pass through on this one and i can shoot the other side as well

11-Apr-16

11-Apr-16
Is it necessary to compress with threaded rod?

I thought I saw a picture of one a few years ago that was held together with packing tape, it looked smaller, maybe 16x16.

11-Apr-16
i did a duck tape one once... it works but not nearly as well as the rods...imo

11-Apr-16
Thanks

12-Apr-16
'Also, this target is big enough that you don't have to worry about missing it when shooting extreme long ranges.'

Tell me about it Mike...very windy conditions on Sunday morning saw my 60 yard shots at least 12" adrift due to the cross wind, which on a Rhinoblock meant some 'close quarter grass examination and projectile excavation' i.e. diggin' arrahs out the durt ;-)

12-Apr-16
I just checked online and Menards has the 2" Foamular 150 for $30 a sheet. That's a little more than I remembered but it's still worth it.

Toby, I don't think the threaded rod is necessary but it probably keeps the target tighter which may help stopping power if you hit a seam between layers. The rod also makes it easy to take the target apart.

Barty1970, every year I would shoot just fine out to 60-70 yards shooting my field points at my big field point target. Then as hunting season approached and I switched to broadheads I would develop target panic as I shot at my small broadhead target at 60 yards. My big homemade broadhead target has helped a lot with the target panic issue and reduced time spent diggin' arrahs out the durt!

12-Apr-16
I copied Mikes target design last summer. The only change I made was to put wheels on it. I need new foam now but it's held up nice. Just had a couple pass thru shots. I've even packed it up in the back of my Expedition to shoot broad heads at long range (can't in my back yard).

The Reinhart 18:1 is a good target too.

No matter what...do not buy "The Block". Horrible and expensive broadhead target. Wish I had that money back.

12-Apr-16
Get briadheads and field points to hit the same. Which we all should be doing and why shoot s lot of briadheads at hat point.

12-Apr-16
Bou' lol.

12-Apr-16
A billion times huh ? Let's do some math. Two hundred arrows a day for twenty years is a liitle less than a million and a half. Either you are very old or you're full of chit TBM. I'm giving odds on the latter.

12-Apr-16
Bou, the block I have-had- was the original open layered style. Within 2 shots, if they were close, you would already be pulling out slivers of foam. Plus if you had a planing BH or arrant shot catch the plastic wrap forgetaboutit, that bock is about to come unravelled. I went so far as to bind it w/ a ratchet strap.

12-Apr-16
This is great guys thanks for all the info!!!

13-Apr-16
Mike, any experience with single bevel broadheads on your target? Those things eat up a target like nothing else. I might change broadheads just because of the target issue. I am in desperate need of a new target and your design looks like a winner.

13-Apr-16
I made one out of Foamular a while back, just duct taped and wrapped in plastic-the kind you wrap furniture in for moving. It worked well but the pink residue was difficult to get off the carbon arrows. I got to the point where I would wipe the front third of the arrows with a paper towel wetted with vegetable oil before shooting. Then the residue either did not stick or came right off. Got a bit messy on the rest though.

Believe it or not, termites invaded the target and made a big mess! Stupid termites must have thought it tasted like wood! I threw it away and got a Rhinehart.

13-Apr-16
AndyJ, No I have no experience with single bevel heads.

Bullshooter, I shoot mainly FMJ's and have no issue with the pink residue. I also shoot a few Beman MFX carbons and I get a little residue on them but it's not bad and can be scraped off with my thumbnail.

I've heard that you can make the target out of the much cheaper white Styrofoam and supposedly it works well and leaves no residue. I haven't verified that though and I have a hard time believing that the white styro would be very durable.

13-Apr-16
To the guys with the foam layer targets. Do pieces of foam go every where? I would think little pieces of foam would be littered all over the ground

13-Apr-16
There are some Justin but it's not that bad. It gets worse as the target gets shot up but it's easy to replace or reshuffle the layers.

14-Apr-16
Gotcha Thanks! I like the idea! Might have to make one

14-Apr-16

HawkI's embedded Photo
HawkI's embedded Photo
My new cheesehead Mike target next to an easy pvc bow stand I made. Works great! Thanks for the idea!

15-Apr-16
Awesome Travis, glad you like it!

I like the bow stand too!

I guess that's my legacy, a broadhead target named after me... LOL!

15-Apr-16
I've always used the same type of foam for targets - just used shrink wrap or tape to keep em together. One day I'll take the time and make a nice one. Also started shooting FMJ's several years ago and never had to worry about anything sticking to arrows. Was thinking of going back to regular carbons this year, but now this reminds me of that issue...

I find field points more difficult to take out (thought not bad) broadheads are easy, and yes as it gets shot up you get little "foam chips" laying around when you're done.

22-Apr-16
OK. I am getting ready to build my own BH target and I have been researching formular.

It comes in different densities. (Mike's picture shows "250" which would be 25 psi density).

Owens Corning also makes more dense versions (All the way up to 100 PSI)

My local warehouse has densities up to 60 PSI. (Of course more dense =more $$$)

Would there be such a thing as too dense?

I am thinking instead of threaded rod I might use ratchet straps. (I have those on hand). I likely won't leave it outside so UV shouldn't be an issue.

22-Apr-16
I don't know much about the different densities (maybe I'm too dense) but if cost isn't an issue, I don't think you could go too dense.

I would think that ratchet straps would work just fine.

22-Apr-16
Thanks Mike. I am not too worried about cost difference. Like many, I have thrown away more money on crappy BH targets than Quaker has oats. Like other gear, I would rather lean toward buying the better material straight out of the gate vs low balling it and wish later that I should have spent a little more to begin with.

22-Apr-16
I hear ya Z I used to drop $$ every year on a broadhead target but haven't now for about 4 years (other than the one sheet of foam I bought last year to replace shot out layers).

I'd much rather spend $35 every four years (and have a better target) than spend $100+ every year.

01-May-16

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
TTT.

My version of the MTCH target.

Thx.

01-May-16
Nice work, Z! I have the materials....just need to put it together.

I wonder, with the denser material, if you could use narrower cuts (say 12" instead of 16") and build a taller target.

02-May-16
Nick,

Menards website said they had denser formular on hand (They were wrong!) So I used the 25 lb density (Same as Mike) So I stuck with same dimension cuts.

I am shooting just shy of 60 lbs (59+ depending upon the capture on my scale). Get this, my FMJ 340's with 125G BH penetrate consistently less (~1") than my FMJ 400's with 125G. This is one of the reasons I wanted a big target with consistent stopping capacity. (It has taken me a few years to figure out I am overspined!)

I would estimate arrows are penetrating 11-12" with current 250 material.

I will be experimenting with adding brass HIT's (This week)

• Sitka Gear