Contributors to this thread:
Knife2sharp 12-Apr-16
Brotsky 12-Apr-16
Zebrakiller 12-Apr-16
OFFHNTN 12-Apr-16
Bear Track 12-Apr-16
Knife2sharp 12-Apr-16
12-Apr-16
I was invited to go on a spring bear hunt in Manitoba. My buddy is friends with a taxidermist and licensed guide. He is working out the details with him and he'll be acquiring our tags.

My question is about the hunter safety program requirements. I have a Bowhunter Education certificate from MN and we plan on bowhunting for our bears. Is this an equivalent certificate for Manitoba or not? I also have a firearm safety certificate from MN as well, but it appears these aren't valid.

It does look like we can take the written test online, but there's also a hands on portion. I'm just curious how much time we need before we can start hunting. Do we need a day or two to get this all sorted out?

I looked at their regulations and it states "all hunters" are required to have the hunter safety certificate and it doesn't exclude foreign residents from what I can tell.

12-Apr-16
Knife, I believe any NBEF certified course will suffice for Manitoba. My NBEF certificate from SD worked just fine last year. I'm sure Bear Track or one of the other outfitters will be along shortly to answer your question definitively but I think you're fine with what you have.

12-Apr-16
on bottom of your license is a box you check that you hold a valid hunter education certificate I always check yes but I also carry my Wisconsin one

12-Apr-16
I been on a half a dozen spring bear hunts in MB, the last one being last spring, and have never needed a bowhunter ed cert. I do have a firearms safety cert but don't remember ever being asked for that either.

12-Apr-16
I became a hunter safety instructor for the convenience of my guests in camp that do not have a hunter safety. Though you do not have the required "Hunter Safety" certificate, I'd like to see them battle it out in the courts. When issued your hunting license, the question is: "Do you possess a valid hunter safety?" check yes, and in my opinion you have enough, an I would check the Yes box.

12-Apr-16
Thanks, I was curious about the archery one, since bear hunts typically don't have separate archery and firearm seasons and/or tags.

• Sitka Gear