brianhood 14-Apr-16
brianhood 14-Apr-16
Rock 14-Apr-16
Glunt@work 14-Apr-16
WV Mountaineer 14-Apr-16
brianhood 14-Apr-16
WV Mountaineer 14-Apr-16
14-Apr-16
Turkey season in New Mexico doesn't open until Friday and I'm already feeling frustrated. I have a spot I've been hunting with my bow for a few years, but haven't taken a bird yet. I've had encounters, but I couldn't connect.

This year I was told I would get a chance at some birds in a private ranch that we always camp, but never hunt. The person with the key kept putting scouting off until just today. We found sign and I started feeling confident I could get a good chance at some long beards. Then he tells me he was worried about rain so we wouldn't hunt it.

I think "big whoop" at least now I knew what my plan was at this point' I'd hunt the spot I always hunt. Then I get a text from a buddy that shotgun hunts. "We saw 6 toms today we are going to hunt." I thought "awesome!" And asked where. . My spot!

Now I have mentioned birds in the general area to them kind of assuming they'd stick to their spot they always hunt. We seemed to have an understanding that we stayed away from each others areas. They were usually successful in the area they hunted. They even told me the spot they planned on hunting a couple weeks ago.

I told him that I was hoping he didn't find my exact spot and that "it's bad luck to hunt a mans spot" jokingly, to be somewhat non confrontational but still get my point across haha. he just said "well it happens".

This is public land and I completely understand that I messed up by telling them anything. It's just a shame that people are like this, especially those I thought were good friends.

Sorry for the long complain fest. I think I just needed to vent to anyone about it. There's a chance they are further off from the spot, but it still grinds my gears a bit. I suppose it'll feel even better when I put an arrow through a Tom out there now.

Have you guys ever had to deal with anything like this? How'd you handle it?

14-Apr-16
Yep. Wish them luck, go hunt, have fun. Hunting should be all on the positive side as long as no one gets hurt, rolls their truck, etc.

Don't let little stuff like this put a rain cloud over what should be nothing but fun, especially over a turkey. Set your alarm a little early and be where you want before anyone else gets there. Continue to be respectful of others while hunting public. Sometimes it will be reciprocated, sometimes not. Since they won't be using their usual spot and they aren't concerned about folks sharing areas, you might want to head to their old spot, shoot a bird and attach a pic of it when you text them to see how they did after the morning hunt :^)

14-Apr-16
Loose lip sinks ship....on public ground anyways! Plenty of land out there though. Go hunt and have fun.....good luck!

14-Apr-16
"This is public land and I completely understand that I messed up by telling them anything. It's just a shame that people are like this, especially those I thought were good friends."

Lesson learned.

14-Apr-16
Been there, done that ONCE. That's all it took for me to learn a valuable lesson. Don't do it anymore. Now I don't give out any helpful hints on hunting spots.

14-Apr-16
Money, women, and hunting spots make men do stupid chit.

If you are anywhere near Mt Taylor PM me and I'll tell you about a bunch of turkey that I always see when we elk hunt.

14-Apr-16
Oh boy do I feel your frustration! I had the a very similar, maybe even worse experience but it was for elk.

A friend had a daughter get a bull rifle tag in an area I archery hunt elk. He asked if I could help them. I told them yes so long as he kept my hot spots to himself. I took them to all my spots and of coarse he GPS'd it. That year, his daughter took a spike bull and they were extremely happy.

Fast forward, the following year I see him in my areas during archery season, he wasn't hunting but what was even worse is he brought 2 others that I also know with him.They were in all my hot spots, I ran into them every day. Frustrated I turned and walked away at each sighting.

I've done nothing, he/they have the right to be there and I screwed up big time, I trusted the guy. I have seen his buddies in there every year after as well. I will say that I have not talked to him sense and Im sure he knows why. He hasn't bothered to apologize either. IMO he ought to be ashamed of himself. Maybe he is.

This will not stop me from helping people in the areas I know. I will just be a lot more selective and they most likely wont be a local resident.

14-Apr-16
Thanks for the replies guys! It definitely sucks when your stress relief starts being a source of stress.

I'm still going to go up and hunt it. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

14-Apr-16
There's a special hunting place in hell for "friends" that steal other guy's hunting spots. Good luck to you Dyjack, you've got some good karma coming your way I think.

14-Apr-16
Dyjack, I definitely understand. It hasn't happened with turkey but it has happened with waterfowl. A prime waterfowl spot is hard to find.

But...

Take it as a blessing. Check your spot and hunt it if he isn't there. If he is there, go look for other spots. You will probably find a few other good spots. The end result is that you have plans B, C, and D for future years...

14-Apr-16
I had a similar experience with two CO game wardens for elk. They were ML hunting and stopped by our bow camp to talk, wanted to make sure they weren't conflicting with us because they knew we'd hunted the place for many years.

Seemed like nice guys, we talked for quite awhile. They promised to stay far away from us and said they would hunt a couple miles away from the valley we were hunting.

That evening I heard my bull bugling as the herd came down the valley as they had been the previous two nights. The wind was perfect for once, and they were getting close. Then the bugling stopped and I heard elk running through the timber. You know what happened.

I hurried up the trail and here were these two orange guys coming out of the valley UPWIND from where the elk were, and smoking cigarettes. I read them the riot act about honor, ethics, trustworthiness, etc.. and how they should be setting examples instead of being slob hunters. They had nothing to say except 'sorry", but the next morning they packed up their camp and moved someplace.

14-Apr-16
You guys definitely helped ease my mind. In the words of Joe Dirt "gotta keep on keepin on" 'm getting my stuff together now and going up to my spot until Sunday or Monday. Maybe I'll do some live updates depending on service.

Thanks a ton guys,

14-Apr-16
I've dealt with it before. Told a guy where we elk hunted. He promised just him. He now brings a team of horses and two other people.

Had a buddy in high school, bring a friend along to OUR own property. He didn't even call and invite us!!!!!!!! That was an eye opener.

Dealing with what is sure to be an ugly event soon enough. It was caused by the wonderful web and a friend trying to help a dad and son get established hunting big woods deer. They have followed our success online on another site. Stuff I don't post. My bud does. They have been coming for 3 years now. They have stopped looking and are hunting closer to our beloved honey holes. This year, it went as far as them hiding along the trail in and following us to see where we each left the trail. Would have never known about it had the dad not fessed up about doing so that night at supper. A supper they were invited to the night before. And, the last one they'll ever be invited to.

People are funny. I was part of one lease in a bowhunting only area. I killed a bruiser in a spot everyone in our group over looked. For 10 years every one parked, got dressed, and proceeded to drive their atv's right by this area. I would listen to them talking in the morning if I was already on stand. Drug a 150 inch deer out of there and the following year, had 4 stands within 300 yards. These stands belonged to my buds I grew up with and joined this lease with!!!!! Not strangers.

The moral of the story is this. Keep your mouth shut. Don't tell anyone about your honey holes. Redirect them to a totally different area if need be. People are greedy. Jealous. Will invade your privacy. Do anything to make them happy. All at your expense. and, whatever you do, never, ever, ever post pics of your kills on the Internet if you have ever mentioned an area you hold dear to your heart. People will research until they could tell you where you are hunting! No matter how many want to see them. Who doubts it. Etc.... I promise you someone is lurking, looking, trying to eat your slice of pie too. I promise you that. God Bless

14-Apr-16
About 20 years ago I killed a nice gobbler in a neighboring state. I was sitting on the tailgate of my pickup at a popular Vista enjoying the spring morning. A stranger stopped and asked WHERE I killed the bird. I told him I would rather have him sleep with my wife than divulge that information. He stepped back and and gave me that look. He said you must really like your turkey hunting. I told him I really like my public land spot.

14-Apr-16
Hey WV mountaineer

Ever hunt notellum creek? It's my favorite tributary to the potomac river.

14-Apr-16
Had a guy ask me once where I was hunting and I told him he then said I thought you were hunting such and such a spot and I then told him I never tell anyone where I hunt and always tell a different spot everytime. He asked if anyone really cared I said yes some do so I always lie about it. Lessons learned the hard way like everyone else, you learn over the years who you can trust and who you cannot.

14-Apr-16
I usually share the decent public spots I have found pretty freely. Yes, it has caused more pressure sometimes but life is short and there is some satisfaction that comes from helping someone put together a memorable hunt. Many times its resulted in a guy turning me on to a good spot and even invites to some nice private land hunts. Each time I do it, I know the risks so its never a surprise if I pull in next year and the guy is there with 5 other guys from a TV show (true story) :^)

14-Apr-16
Nope. Or, did I?

If that was a serious question, no I haven't. God Bless

14-Apr-16
I was kidding

14-Apr-16
I'm stupid too.

• Sitka Gear