milnrick 15-Apr-16
rdohn 15-Apr-16
Shot 15-Apr-16
Bear Track 15-Apr-16
rdohn 15-Apr-16
Bear Track 15-Apr-16
Bushbow 16-Apr-16
14-Apr-16
Can I fly into Canada with a Thermacel and canisters?

14-Apr-16
The butane cartridges are illegal for either carry-on or checked baggage when flying anywhere in the US/Canada. Check airline restrictions on items considered flammable or explosive. You could take your Thermacel without fuel cartridges and then buy them in Canada. Other option would be to ship fuel cartridges to your outfitter in advance.

Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials aboard aircraft in your luggage or on your person. A violation can result in five years' imprisonment and penalties of $250,000 or more (49 U.S.C. 5124). Hazardous materials include explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids and solids, oxidizers, poisons, corrosives and radioactive materials. Examples: Paints, lighter fluid, fireworks, tear gases, oxygen bottles, and radio-pharmaceuticals.

14-Apr-16
nope!Ollie is correct... theres a cabelas in saskatoon i will be stoppong there on May 28 for just that ..im calling ahead to reserve mine ...they go fast up there...so i hear WOUNDER WHY HAHAHAHA MikeC

14-Apr-16
Ok, can I buy them online and have Amazon ship to outfitter?

14-Apr-16
Yes, you can. Provided the outfitter agrees to have them shipped to his address and provided there are no restrictions on Amazon shipping the cartridges into Canada. Should not be an issue if sent by ground shipping.

14-Apr-16
"Ok, can I buy them online and have Amazon ship to outfitter?"

This is a great idea. I'd think this would work great, check with your outfitter.

14-Apr-16
Good answers! Bought mine last year at Saskatoon Cabelas but never needed them as there were few bugs. We left the canisters at the lodge for others! Good luck! C

PS: If you wear a Sitka Hoody you have a "mostly" bug proof outfit! Love the Hoody!

14-Apr-16
You can take the pads as well. Just not the butane canisters.

When I went to NB several years ago I was very glad I took the pads as well. It was hard to find the Thermacell refill kits and those that had them were closed (I flew in on a Sunday).

You can however get the butane cartridges at most any drug store... and they were open on Sunday. They sell them for "cordless" hair curling irons. The same exact cartridge. If I recall somebody told me the same company makes both the irons as well as the thermacell. I've never verified that, but I do know the curling iron cartridges worked great. I'd bring some extra pads from home too if I could. Just in case.

14-Apr-16
Your guide may have some for sale cheap - or give you some. They have chitloads - everybody leaves them from the week before -same with bear spray - scent free shampoo...

15-Apr-16
Many guides/flight services have tons of odds/ends like salt, bug dope, etc left behind from prior hunters. I'd start by asking them, then my next step would be your suggestion of shipping them direct to the outfitter from online vendor.

15-Apr-16
There's a Cabelas in Edmonton too. We always fly with the thermacell unit, but buy cannisters and pads on arrival.

15-Apr-16
Leaving for Canada next month. I called customs and TSA and asked if thermacell butane could be in checked baggage. The answer is no per airline safety rules. And if you do carry it and get caught its the agents discretion on what happens which is a hefty fine and possibly being on the no fly list. With that being said I have carried the butane cartridges before with no problem but I will not be pushing my luck anymore.

15-Apr-16
Nate

Going to Canada in May myself. I had the canisters shipped to my outfitter.

Asked around, couldn't find a legal way to fly with it.

15-Apr-16

Bear Track's Link
We've had guys fly in to Winnipeg, not knowing they weren't supposed to have the canisters with them, and I've had a few guys ship them to us to have there for them. I found the most convenient thing for our guests, was that having them up at camp, and if needed, they just buy them from us right there.

15-Apr-16
Bear Track good idea the hunters would appreciate that convenience.

15-Apr-16
Thanks rdohn. We also have coolers up there too for them to purchase rather than flying with one both ways. There's other things we supply for the guests flying in to keep room for their own hunting gear.

16-Apr-16
Wow. I have been hunting w Ron and bear track twice and broke the law 4x flying in and out of Canada. Now I know?? Next time I will just make sure you have some in camp before I come up Ron. I hope the spring hunt is awesome this year. I love tracking it on Bowsite when I cannot be involved myself.

• Sitka Gear