Mathews Inc.
Silk Bag Iiner worth it? Wash bag often?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
bowcrazyJRHCO 18-Apr-16
Stickhead 18-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 18-Apr-16
bowcrazyJRHCO 18-Apr-16
Stickhead 18-Apr-16
Tundra Monkey 18-Apr-16
smarba 18-Apr-16
IdyllwildArcher 18-Apr-16
APauls 18-Apr-16
Royboy 19-Apr-16
oldgoat 19-Apr-16
orionsbrother 19-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 19-Apr-16
Z Barebow 19-Apr-16
bowcrazyJRHCO 19-Apr-16
LungBuster 19-Apr-16
Beendare 19-Apr-16
hntnbo 19-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 20-Apr-16
glunker 01-May-16
GDx 09-May-16
Paul@thefort 09-May-16
huntingbob 10-May-16
weekender21 10-May-16
ASCTLC 10-May-16
bowcrazyJRHCO 11-Oct-16
Jaquomo 11-Oct-16
Matt 11-Oct-16
18-Apr-16
I purchased a quality down sleeping bag 2 seasons ago. Now thinking of buying a silk liner, not for added warmth, but so I don't soil my bag as much. Questions: Is the silk liner worth it? What Brand? Lastly how often do you wash your down bag? I have used mine about 40 nights over 2 years and have yet to wash it - too afraid the washing will ruin it. Thanks

18-Apr-16
I have a down bag from REI, I have maybe a dozen sleeps in it. I bought a silk liner for the exact reason, to keep the bag clean. It was worth it, and I bought it at a high price backcountry store. I wanted to support the local business. I paid about $35 for it, light weight, pure silk "Sea to Summit" brand. Do it, you won't regret it.

18-Apr-16

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I have a Cocoon brand silk mummy liner and I would say that yes, it is worth it if nothing else just to keep your sleeping bag clean.

I wash my down sleeping bag with Sport Wash (see my link) probably once every 2-3 years or so.

Since I've been using the liner about the only part that gets dirty is around the edge of the hood from my breathing condensation and in the hood from my hair. Lately I just wash the hood by hand in cold water with the sport wash and it has worked well.

18-Apr-16
Thank you for the input. $35 is a great price. All silk liners I find are about $70. I see a variety of brands, just wondering if they are all created equal. Also question if I can use a regular liner in my mummy bag, as regular is cheaper than mummy version.

18-Apr-16
It has been a few years, could of been more. The one I got is just a big rectangle, it scrunches up in the bottom of the mummy bag, without issues.

18-Apr-16
I went a different route. I had the Minister of Finance sew a liner out of one of our sheets. Makes for an interesting conversation when I mention that I sleep in 800 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets on our mountain hunts. Yup....we're roughing it!!!!!

18-Apr-16
Yep, love the liner as it keeps bag clean and I don't feel as sticky as when against the nylon inside of the sleeping bag.

A mummy liner won't have the excess fabric of a rectangular liner, hence will be lighter.

They do help keep you a little bit warmer than the sleeping bag alone, but to me it's not a huge difference. It's the comfort of sleeping and cleanliness of the sleeping bag that makes the liner worthwhile.

Carl

18-Apr-16
I have a synthetic liner from REI. It's great. Doubles as a pillow if not used. Doubles as a sleeping bag when it's not cold.

And it adds a good 5-10 degrees to your bag if it's cold.

18-Apr-16
I don't think I could sleep in a sleeping bag after it's been soiled.

19-Apr-16
I use a silk liner also. Cleaner bag and lightweight way to make my 20 degree bag warmer

19-Apr-16
Just bought a couple from camofire, looking forward to trying them out this year!

19-Apr-16
I use a liner as well. I have heard (and it makes sense to me) that soaps can degrade the water resistant qualities of treated down.

My jury is still out on treated down, but I'm trying to make sure that it's there if I need it.

19-Apr-16
Maverick, I just purchased a Big Agnus 17 degrees down bag and the down was treated with a "water resident" solution to prevent the down from getting wet. I also use a bivy sack to put the bag in while packing in and sleeping.

The silk liner is next.

my best, Paul

19-Apr-16

Z Barebow's Link
I don't have a silk liner, but I have the following.

Same reasons as above. I have a BA Lost Ranger and I want to keep the oils off of my bag.

https://www.rei.com/product/705534/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-mummy-bag-liner?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-7055340017&CAWELAID=120217890000875689&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

19-Apr-16
Thanks for your insight, I will look at silk and some non-silk options.

One question wasn't really answered - Do you wash your entire down bag? If yes, how often or do you simply wash as needed by inspecting it.

Thanks!

19-Apr-16
I just bring a silk long john top and bottom in lieu of the liner. I only use them at night after hunting so they are not stinky going into the bag. So it keeps my bag clean and warms you up a few degrees.

19-Apr-16
i like the idea of something inside your bag....just getting in there bare skin on a hunt makes them pretty funky quick.

I bring and extra thin shirt and longjohns to wear when i sleep.

19-Apr-16
I use a sea to summit silk liner I got from REI. I love it. Adds extra warmth and reduces the rustling noises that wake you up at night. Feels a lot better than the nylon of the bag too.

20-Apr-16
I responded above to your question about washing...

01-May-16
If weight is not an issue I have a flannel liner that is warm to the touch compared to silk, washes easily and adds extra warmth. It is maybe 15 years old and is still very functional. Also costs less.

09-May-16
never understood the liner concept. get a bag that fits your temp and weight requirements. take care of it and it will last a long time. I wear my base layers to bed so no different than a liner. not carrying the extra 8 oz. I have washed my down bags by hand and by washer.

I guess if weight is not an issue I would carry a big synthetic bag.

09-May-16
There are special soaps to use to wash a down sleeping bag and I wash mine at the end of each season and then place it in the dryer at med heat to tumble dry.

10-May-16
I do not wash mine as of yet. While sleeping I wear base layers. A separate set for the bag and a merino cap on my head so the oils from my hair don't soil the bag. Bad thing is I never keep the thing on my head all night. I tried the Sea to summit liner and I always had a tough time crawling out of it to take a whiz in the middle of the night so I just layer up before crawling inside. Good luck! The liners sometimes do add additional warmth but I just swim in them all night.

10-May-16
I wear merino base layers on mountain hunts, can't seem to justify the extra 8 ounces on a backpack hunt. I only wash my down bags as needed, once a year or less. As stated above, special laundry soap is available for washing down bags and clothing.

10-May-16
I wear a base layer instead of a specialty bag liner too. I have good silk base layers and take 2. While it doesn't necessarily save weight over the dedicated liner, the extra set of base layer serves to keep my sleep system cleaner, the extra set lets me sweat up one set for hunt and keep it out of my bag, I can hand wash the hunt or sleep layer and dry for the day while still having the needed set for hunt/sleep use if needed, and last, safety should I need to get out of dangerous wet clothes.

The flexibility of the 2 sets vs a set + bag liner just works more logically for me.

Andy

11-Oct-16
I took the advice of many of you and purchases a Sea-Summit silk liner. I used it for 18 nights elk hunting - it was beyond "heavenly". No more cold bag when I rolled over in the night, the liner worked perfectly as a sheet with taking a nap on top of the bag during warm afternoons, it felt "oh so good" when I climbed in it each night. The bonus of it keeping my bag clean and being EZ to wash actually became secondary to the other pluses. Oh, and the part about no zipper was no problem - easily got out of bag to pee at night. Thanks for everyone's advice, definitely the best item I added this year.

11-Oct-16
When you do wash the bag, it's worth the money to take it to a laundromat and use a commercial-sized front-loader. Never, ever wash a. down bag in a top-loading agitator machine if you value the bag. Way less wear and tear on the bag and the internal baffles that separate the insulation layers. If one baffle separates, the bag is basically worthless after that because you'll have a major cold spot. Learned that lesson the hard way with my trusty North Face backpacking bag.

11-Oct-16
Nope. I'd wear thermals if I wanted to keep my bag clean.

• Sitka Gear