cnelk 21-Apr-16
Hoot 26-Apr-16
coyote 27-Apr-16
Ermine 27-Apr-16
Hoot 27-Apr-16
Hoot 27-Apr-16
Cazador 27-Apr-16
20-Apr-16
I've not hunted pronghorn for several years but have the desire to do so in 2016. My prior hunts were near Belle Fouche and Broadus for a nominal trespass fee. However, I've lost those contacts.

I've gained a new contact in Weld Co., CO who says he ranches there and there is a decent population of goats. It appears the archery license, although a bit pricey ($376) are over the counter. Weld Co. is in in the northeast corner of CO - apparently closest large town is Greeley. Can anyone provide feedback for this area. Reasonable chance at success if I make the 1,000 from Indiana ?

Thanks in advance

20-Apr-16
If you know private access, you'll have a good chance. We have reasonable success in that unit on public land, which is far and few between. I'd say my buddies do about 50/50.

20-Apr-16
A Big Depends!

East of 25, is mostly if not all draw although you may be able to get a voucher from said ranch.

West is OTC.

Chance of success? Depends if we getthe ever present 2 days prior floods like we see most years in that area.

There is alot of water in Weld County, so the property is key. Lack of terrain features is also a negative. If you drive out the first week and we get rain, call it a loss, get a fishing license and enjoy Colorado. That, or make sure you have a 100 yd pin (kidding on that one).

Better places to hunt by far.

20-Apr-16
Its my backyard. There are good bucks to be had if you've got the right access. I believe Weld county ranks 2nd or 3rd for all time P&Y entries from CO. You may have stepped on the lope gold mine. Let me know if ya need someone to take a look for ya ;)

20-Apr-16

DIYHuntingMaps's embedded Photo
DIYHuntingMaps's embedded Photo

DIYHuntingMaps's Link
Crazador, The majority of the state is OTC for archery.He's probably talking unit 951.

20-Apr-16

20-Apr-16
951 has some good goats in it as does 95 both are at least partly in weld county. And farmers ranchers hate them iv been asked to wipe out herds more than iv been turned away when asking permission to hunt them in those units.

20-Apr-16
I just spoke with the rancher for the first time tonite. He said he ranches south of Briggsdale in Unit 951 south of Hwy 14. He indicated there is a creek running thru the property - some summers it dries up, some summers it has water in it. Obviously if the creek retains water it will be tough to pattern the goats. If it's hot and dry he said I would be able to set up on stock tanks.

21-Apr-16
Well then...... not the first time I lost a bet.It is a huge county. That crick would make me a bit nervous. Water is not your friend and many of those crick will dry up, but water remains on several areas.

Try it out, there is always a fishing license.

21-Apr-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
In my experience of East of I25, is that if you get permission, so do many others. Did you ask the rancher about that?

The 2 creeks in that area are Coal Cr & Crow Cr. There is also some public access near Hwy 14.

I dumped my Antelope PPs this year across the road of there in 87.

Good Luck if you go, you'll need it

26-Apr-16
Depending on who it is, I probably work on his ranch frequently (oil)

There are a few antelope in that hwy 392 corridor but not a terrible amount...

Pm me your number and I can text you some more info, if it is a ranch I frequent I can even keep an eye out for you and keep you posted...

27-Apr-16
The rancher I talked with was Randy Cass. He said he ranches south of Briggsdale. Said there are antelope on his land - and did say there is a creek that runs thru his ground. Freely admitted that if the creek held water during hunting season it made it tought to pattern the goats which I fully understand. I tried to spot and talk once without success. The lopes Ive taken were from sitting a blind over a stock tank or pond.

If I drive from Indiana I'd like to take an antelope - and I'd really like to put my friend on a goat since he's never shot one. Any info you can pass along will really be appreciated. Once of the reasons I am researching Colorado is because of the over the counter license. I don't have any preference points so drawing in Wyoming or other states I assum would be tough. I thought about South Dakota but I've heard the past winters have decimated the herds. I hunted around Belle Fourche years ago and killed a 14" inch goat but the landowner moved in to town and sold the hunting rights to an outfitter.

So . . . . . . . any info you can provide will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Noel Kendall

27-Apr-16
I used to hunt out there, but north of the hey. Used to be a lot antelope.

Then a bunch of oil rig stuff came in and antelope moved away

27-Apr-16
His is not a ranch I frequent but I know the piece of property, I'll start keeping an eye out for them when I'm driving by.

Crow creek does have a lot of water lately, most of the antelope that I see are not on his property but up on the ag fields...

There are other units with better public access IMO, if you put your eggs in that one basket you might be disappointed...

27-Apr-16
As I say that there was a nice buck and a dozen does right off the highway on his place this morning...

27-Apr-16
Seeing antelope out there isn't the problem. It's killing them and I'm not saying that to be negative at all. The fact that the rancher is saying the crick might have water in it tells me you may have a better chance of catching a trout out of said crick vs. killing a buck.

If the name of the game is waterhole, you want a place that is dry, real dry. You want a place where the shoreline of the pond is beat down with tracks. If I don't see that these days, I don't have the will to sit days on end watching antelope water in other locations.

I don't remember if you mentioned how long you will be out, but another thing to keep in mind is your blind. Putting a blind up same day for me out East just hasn't worked. They need time to "Soak". Trust me, there is nothing worse than sitting in a blind getting cooked to have a buck see it from a hundred yards away, and walk off.

I'm a resident, and have options and I too will be out that way this summer looking around, but I will turn my tag back instantly if we get big rains prior to the season.

Send me a PM and I can fill you in on what I know. I've been hunting out there since 2001. Go Trump!

• Sitka Gear