320 bull 27-Apr-16
CurveBow 28-Apr-16
Ermine 28-Apr-16
trophyhilll 30-Apr-16
CurveBow 02-May-16
CurveBow 05-May-16
CurveBow 05-May-16
21-Apr-16
I'm planning a CO elk hunt this September. Our style of hunting is to pack in about 2 miles and set up a spike camp and hunt from there daily.

In the past, I have used a Kelty Super Tioga frame pack AND strapped my Badlands Superday pack to it. This practice results in at least 5-7 extra pounds just for the weight of the empty pack.

I'm interested in getting opinions on a one pack to "do it all" concept. My criteria is as follows:

* enough volume for carrying all gear for the hike in/out; * tough enough to pack out boned out elk meat (I hope!); * doesn't weigh a ton; * Is compressible and compact enough to also work as a day pack;

I know that there are options out there, what do you recommend? Pictures would be helpful...

Thanks!

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-16
The only pack of this caliber I personally have any experience with is the Eberlestock J34 "just one" pack. No pics for you but check it out on their website. I'm sure their are better (and more expensive) packs out there. But I like mine.

21-Apr-16
Kifaru....many, many options to do exactly what you want.

21-Apr-16
KIFARU!

I'm currently using a EMR 2 bag on a duplex frame. Very versatile system

21-Apr-16
I was looking for the same thing and ended up with a Kuiu Icon 5200. I can't believe how little this thing weighs empty. It compresses pretty well so I can use it as a day pack too - not too much bigger if any than your superday. at 56 I really didn't want to spend a lot of $ for gear I will only get a few years out of, but I'm glad I did. this fits my style of hunting and will for a while anyway. Check it out.

21-Apr-16
Kifaru X3! I run a Timberline 1 and Timberline 2.

21-Apr-16
For what it's worth my Cabala's Alaskan Pack (with the external frame) has been with me for 15+ years now. It has been on many a pack trip, hauled out a ton of meat and is still going strong.

21-Apr-16

21-Apr-16
kota-man to the rescue??

21-Apr-16
Bison Gear Elk Hunter. I believe it will do as you want. Shawn

21-Apr-16
I love my Kifaru Late Season, BUT it just isn't big enough to cary My home for a week, much less two, so I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab off the used market. Just need to add load lifters and I should be good.

I believe this pack will do all that I can ask of it, and probably more. Lots of great packs out there. Find some people, close to you, that have multiple or different packs and give them a try and see what: fits you; will haul what you want; and most importantly...comfortable.

21-Apr-16
I run the Kifaru T2 on a bikini frame. It's just enough to carry my entire spike camp, clothes, etc. It will really compress down nicely for a day pack that has the ability to carry that first load without going all the way back to camp for a hauler.

21-Apr-16
I have an older Kuiu Icon 5200 with the carbon frame that is amazing for doing it all. I can put nothing in it and it's light enough as day pack at 5.5 lbs and will then expand out to hold all my gear and an 75 lbs boned out elk hind quarter.

I've given up on all the day packs and just use the kuiu for everything.

Cheers, Pete

21-Apr-16
Sold my Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. It squeaked and the load-lifters were ineffective.

Bought a Kifaru TB2 with Duplex frame. love it.

21-Apr-16
Kifaru....Mountain Warrior

6,000cu/in w/guide lid....add pouches if necessary Compresses down nicely for daypack mode.

21-Apr-16
Eberlestock. Have packed in, hauled meat, and its a great daypack. I also strap a lone wolf climber to it and use it deer hunting. Won't break the bank either. Sent it back to have a strap repaired over 3 years after purchase with no problems and no paperwork.

21-Apr-16

kota-man's Link
First off, there are a lot of decent packs that will "do the job". However, some will do it much better than others. After testing SEVERAL packs the past 10 years, I've settled on EVERYTHING Kifaru. The big difference in load hauling comfort is the Kifaru belt. They have it figured out.

I currently run 3 different sizes of Kifaru packs:

*Kifaru 22 Mag on Ultra Lite Frame for daypack,

*Kifaru Bikini frame with an EXO Mountain 3500 bag for 3-5 day hunts.

*Kifaru Mountain Warrior on the new Hunter Duplex Frame. This is my "Do All" pack. With over 7000 ci with lids, pockets and pouches, it will get everything "in" and everything "out". Cinch the pack down and you have a front pocket and lid to use in daypack mode. After trying upwards of 20 some packs the last 10 years, this one is my favorite by far.

Since the review in the link above, I've tried several other packs from the STone Glacier Talus, Mystery Ranch Marshal, Kifaru High Camp 4800 and more. The Mountain Warrior is the most versatile, comfortable load carrying pack I've ever owned.

For those that don't already know, the "secret" with Kifaru packs is in the waist belt. I simply cannot use anyone elses waist belt comfortably.

21-Apr-16

kota-man's Link
And if you get bored...Here's another one of my "pack threads"...

PAV...I like the way you think!

21-Apr-16
x3 on the Mountain Warrior.

21-Apr-16
I've been very happy with my Mystery Ranch Metcalf.

21-Apr-16
I had a Kifaru and personally didn't care for it. The frame felt very stiff, like having a piece of plywood on my back.

I switched to an Exo 5500 and really like it. Good functionality pocket-wise, I like the meat shelf, and the fit is great.

21-Apr-16

huntabsarokee's embedded Photo
huntabsarokee's embedded Photo
As a previous owner of a Kelty Super Tioga and a Kifaru I will recommend a Stone Glacier pack. Packs are some what like boots and that fit is important. My buddy and I both have the SG 5100 model and hunt with them compressed down each day with just our day hunting gear. We both shot our bulls last year with the packs on. Depending on how many days you are packing in for the 5100 may be the ticket. You can leave the lid in camp during the day. If you need more space they have a larger size. Quality and materials are top notch.

Best pic I can find of the pack in day hunting mode.

21-Apr-16
I have a Stone Glacier 5100 and highly recommend it. Compresses down to nearly nothing and will carry more than I can handle. Pretty minimalistic as there aren't many pockets on or in the pack.

21-Apr-16
Another vote for stone glacier sky 5100... so far I love mine

21-Apr-16
Kifaru, cry once and cry a lot!

21-Apr-16
Thanks to everyone, including Kota-man!

I'll start looking over the more highly recommended packs. I am somewhat shocked at the prices on some of these packs....

Question - a do it all pack will have a longer frame. Is that longer frame length a hinderance when using it in daypack mode in timber?

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-16
The longer frame can be an issue in the timber, however the trade off for the ability to carry a heavy load comfortably is worth it to me.

21-Apr-16
Thanks again Kota-man....

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-16
I'm going to use an EXO 3500 this year. Enough room for 5 days and more if you really want and packs down small for daypack use.

Titanium frame that twists with you as you move, but very ridged vertically. Check them out.

21-Apr-16
I would consider used as well since you have some time on your side. Lots of gear junkies out there that go through all the new offerings plus some packs from guys back east that only use them 1x per year. I found my buddies SG on a forum which looked like new for more than $100 off the new price.

21-Apr-16
I agree on buying used. There are good deals floating around if you are patient.

21-Apr-16
I drank the Kirafu Koolaid long ago. But I bought once. I bought a Siwash when they were switching to Gen2. (Siwash is no longer made). It would handle about 80% of the Longhunter.

I use this pack as my backpack hauler, day pack, and hauling my first load of meat. If I wanted to, I could haul all of the meat with it. But I prefer a solid packframe for the big stuff. I grab this after first trip out.

I don't chase trends. If I researched and settle on a solution, the same logic I used to make the initial purchase rarely changes (IE I don't chase marketing!)

21-Apr-16
Stone Glacier. Great pack and will do what you need.

21-Apr-16
Kifaru EMR2. please lock the thread, no more answers needed after I gave the correct answer.

21-Apr-16
I know I am going to sound crazy, but my old army large ALICE does all of the above, from on patrol in an elk movement to contact, to hauling over 200# of boneless elk meat and hide. Mine is over 30 years old and has almost 60 jumps, 3 tours in the middle east, once a week ruck march for twenty years, plus hauled out 4 elk.......

21-Apr-16
This is t going to be the most popular post on this thread. Because I'm fruge when I need to be. But, I'll spend e tea with no concerns once I figured out that is the best deal for me. So, take what I say as a utilitarian post by understanding I won't own something that puts me out. Or sacrifices function for cost savings.

Check out the gen Ii able pack issued by the marine corps. It's a dandy and can be had for next to nothing. If you can haul it so can the pack. Comfy. Cozy. On par with weight with the $600 private industry packs. And, if you look, you'll see the same engineering, the same style as some high dollar offerings.

If I couldn't get that, I'd buy an Alps Commander X. God bless men

21-Apr-16
I was about to start this same thread. I'm looking at the more "buy once, cry once" packs. But I'm also looking at Z BareBow's comment that even though he has the expensive pack, he still opts for his packframe after the first load.

This makes me wonder why I spend so much on a pack that only hauls one big load. My current Tenzing or previous Eblestcok can do that - maybe not as comfortably - but for one load, those are good enough packs. Plus they are solid packs for the hauling up gear and using as day pack.

For those of you that are using high end packs, are you using it for ALL loads or just the first load then switching to packframe.

I definitely appreciate your insight and it would affect my decision.

21-Apr-16
Mountain Warrior for all loads and honestly works GREAT in daypack mode due to the configuration.

21-Apr-16
I combined feedback from Kotaman and otcWill and went with the Kifaru Mountain Warrior with their older duplex frame. I was really, really torn between the EMR II and the MW.

This past season I only had the frame and it worked awesome with an older bag attached to it. Actually preferred packing out elk with the duplex frame over my usually dedicated Kelty Cache Hauler for meat only loads. With the duplex frame and the MW, I am comfortable hauling all loads from now on (meat, camp ect). I'll keep the Kelty in the truck in case I can bribe somebody else to help with the chore.

Now I have the MW and couldn't be happier. It's a relatively simple bag with just the right amount of pockets to stay organized. It's also bigger than I thought which was a big reason I was leaning to the EMR II. I was afraid of the MW being too small. My 11 year old kid can fit in this bag! Taking it out for a third trip this weekend.

With the bag aside, the duplex frame was the ticket for me. Having adjustable straps and load lifters that actually work are awesome.

21-Apr-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

21-Apr-16
I've got a couple of those too (133# and 112#)...if they don't wanna go, take them with you. HA!!

[URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/miklvines/media/1121151203.jpg.html][IMG]http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/miklvines/1121151203.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/miklvines/media/1121151202a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/miklvines/1121151202a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

21-Apr-16

Mike Vines's embedded Photo
I'm not to computer savvy=weak mind and a strong back

112#

21-Apr-16

133# on a Cabela's pack frame.

21-Apr-16
i think stone glacier is excellent and fits your requirements and is worth looking into.

21-Apr-16
Exo, is the best pack I've used! At present using the 3500. Best purchase I ever made! With over 140 elk packouts this is hands down the best used to date!

ElkNut1

21-Apr-16
Kifaru, worth the money if you can afford one!

21-Apr-16
The higher end packs do seem expensive, but when you compare them to buying mediocre bags every 5 years or so, they're actually not that bad. I'm currently running a Kifaru DT1 and like it a lot. It packs down really small, if you only need a day pack (although it is a little heavy for just a day pack) and I could easily go for 10 days out of it. The pack I bought the DT1 to replace was a Dana Design Alpine, which I bought in the early 90's. The Dana I have is still better than anything you can get from REI that I've seen. When you can get 20 years out of a great pack, they're actually more affordable than they seem initially. If you don't believe me, buy a Badlands and in 5 years, I bet you're not using it and if you do use it in that time, you'll have used their warranty; which they do a pretty good job at.

22-Apr-16
Many thanks to all the posters! I'm glad to see that at least one other person was interested in the results.

I am intrigued by the specifications of the "buy once, cry once" packs, but am equally dismayed at the high $$$!

I spent quite of bit of time (OK, at work!) looking over packs and had 12 tabs open for searches and looking over Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, EXO, Eberlestock, Stone Glacier, etc. Even made a summary sheet of models, volumes (collapsed & max. expanded), weights empty and retail prices.

My current thinking is this "do I really need to spend $500+ for a pack for a 7 - 10 day elk hunt every 2-3 years?" My current day packs - Badlands Ultraday and a Sitka work fine for the majority of NYS hunting and when I'm way back in the NYS Adirondacks, I have boned out deer and put the meat into the hide and dragged it out that way. Of course, my ADK successes usually involve snow and a rifle - a la Benoit style.

I'm still studying and will be for a while. If I want one, I can afford one. I will post my action or inaction when I reach a conclusion....

Again, thanks to all for sharing!

>>>>-------->

22-Apr-16
Absolutely the Kuiu Ultra! For what your talking about I would probably do the 3,000 bag, but you just pick your size and you will not be disappointed. The lightest weight, and best value in the hunting pack industry BY FAR...

22-Apr-16
CurveBow- If I were in your shoes, patience is your friend. The packs from the high end mfg's are built to last. But there is a subsection of hunters whom chase the latest/greatest gear and they are will unload there "old" stuff. (Which isn't that old)

Settle on the packs that meet your needs and wait (Like a vulture circling!)

Today's "must have" pack will be sitting in storage next year.

22-Apr-16
Kifura t2 on a bikini frame. I love it. Packs heavy loads . Hunt

22-Apr-16
Check out Classifieds on Rokslide and Kifaru...bargains to be had.

22-Apr-16
Nice thing about Kifaru is they are modular, you could piece it together, used and new and the must have pack for years past, Duplex and Bikini, are available used at a considerable discount but still carry their warranty. Some of the packs are fairly economical to.

22-Apr-16
I had an Eberlestock "Just one" and have since bought a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. Wow what a pack is all I can say. Very happy half the reason I bought it was from reading Kota's reviews. I wasn't in the $1200 for a pack club.

22-Apr-16
FYI........ incase you are interested in the EXO packs, I'd suggest giving them a call or email and ask about their demo packs. Brand new packs, functionally perfect, that are discounted in price.

Steve is a great guy to deal with.

22-Apr-16
I agree with some of the others, watch the classifieds on Rokslide, etc.. I think I picked up my D2 timberline for $300, including some pockets, etc

23-Apr-16

snellpastor's Link
I've tried a ton of packs and will list them in this order:

1. Kifaru new style duplex. Amazing! Worth the money. 2. Exo. As comfy as the Kifaru, but the load lifters are not as tall as I would like for being 6'2". Good choice. 3. Horn Hunter Full Curl. Stiff as a board, but well made and will do what you need. Also cheaper. 3. Badlands and Eberlestock. Wouldn't go with one of these unless hunting from a camp by a car and just doing day-hunts.

I would strongly recommend you check out the posted link prior to deciding on a pack. He pretty much covers the things that are critical.

I took a friend on a backcountry hunt last year - his first. He bought a $250 of-the-shelf pack despite my advice. He came to regret that decision. Because it couldn't carry weight, it caused him some extreme pain when he had it on. The truth is, that is a wasted $250. It would have been far smarter to pick up something for $400 - $500 used and been done.

One more thing ... if interested, I have an Exo 3500 pack for sale for $399 and some accessories for some additional $$. PM me if interested.

23-Apr-16
Lots of really good packs mentioned. Many are great haulers for sure. But making the same pack work for day hunts is tougher. It can be done, but usually some compromise to make everything work anywhere in all conditions.

IMO most of the better haulers are poor hunters. Too tall. Any pack very much over the shoulder is going to get in the way unless you hunt some really open stuff, no brush, low limbs, or you aren't doing any serious stalking. Many of the tall packs if you are on all fours you can't even lift your head to look in front of you. My pack comes off as a last resort on stalks, if at all.

Height/length is great for hauling, load lifters like a good angle to work well. Sucks for hunting. Just be aware when/if you start trying them on.

I use a Kifaru MMR duplex frame. I run it modular (no bag) with a cargo panel, top lid/fanny pack and various pockets attached. It's the shorter duplex frame (24")and IMO is barely short enough to hunt with, there are times it's even too tall. But it still can haul more than I can carry, have had a few #100+ loads of meat and gear in it. Hauls camp in dry bags, dump the dry bags, roll up the panel and go hunt. It's taken some time to get dialed in as it's very "flexible" and takes more tinkering than most folks want to deal with, but I've got it down pretty well now.

Also fits inside most airline rules for carry on at 24". Fits real easy in the overhead.

24-Apr-16
Horn Hunter Full Curl - There is a youtube video that shows it well. 3 packs in 1.

24-Apr-16
Snell, your buddy's experience is pretty much what I've seen. If you waste $250-$300 a couple times on marginal packs, guess what you're actually at the price of a fantastic pack, except for that you don't have one. Some people have scored buying used, but the used packs I've seen are only $100 or so less and not worth it IMO; you could get lucky though.

24-Apr-16
STONE GLACIER packs are strong, lighter than some, and comfortable.

24-Apr-16
Eberlestock packs are the best I have ever use. They do it all. I have never had a failure of any kind.I have about 6 of them. They all have it s purpose. They are good priced I think compared. Good luck!

24-Apr-16
I have a kifaru bag and two frames, bikini and duplex. I am not brand loyal per se and would like to try an exo and a stone glacier but its tough to pull the trigger without trying them out...the one downside to the high end packs...

25-Apr-16
The last couple of years I've hunted with a KUIU Ultra. I backpacked in using the 6000 and brought a 3000 bag. After setting up my camp, I switched out to the 3000 for my day pack. That was an awesome system. Packed an entire mule deer on the ultra and it worked great. Certainly not the best super heavy meat hauler. But a very versatile system...day hunts, spiking out, etc. Can do it all.

26-Apr-16
I have used several different brands and keep going with Kifaru. Go with the tallest frame you can if planning on a heavy load ever. I use a 26" frame and have NEVER had a problem in the brush or timber elk hunting.

26-Apr-16
Z, Barty, Snell - thanks and , yes, I do shop used stuff - a LOT! I am trolling both Bowsite Classifieds as well as Hunt Talk. I have not verntured to Archery Talk yet. I have recently scored a Big Agnes tent and some more SItka Gear from Hunt Talk forums. I have seen several Mystery Ranch items appear there, but haven't known enough about what constitutes a good deal not what I should want/be looking for. But, I'm getting educated.

snell - thanks for the Exo offer, I'm keeping it in mind.

>>>>-------->

26-Apr-16
Don't forget Kifaru Classifieds and Rokslide. Lots of Kifaru stuff on those two.

26-Apr-16
I sent you a PM, there's a couple of good setups on rokslide and Kifarus forum has a classifieds section too

27-Apr-16
As far as a "do-it-all" the Kuiu Icon Pro packs are also sold bag only and are very reasonable. If you buy a 5200 or a 7200 and also want a day pack you're looking at another $100 for the 1850 and you've got two different sized very capable packs.

27-Apr-16
Eberlestock Just one! Not the lightest but very robust. That's important when your coming off the mountain with a 100 lbs of meat on your back.

27-Apr-16
TD - "IMO most of the better haulers are poor hunters. Too tall."

You described me to a 'TEE'!

I did what APauls suggested. I got the Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 and 7200 (bag-only). I used the 1850 last year to haul out 3 boned out mule deer and 1 boned out antelope without having to go back for another pack. The bag will separate from the pack about 4" and you can put the boned out meat there. Will work for about 100 lbs of meat (maybe more - I work for about 100 lbs of meat). The large frame fit my 6' 3" frame well. Don't have long-term data yet.

27-Apr-16
Ive had a few, never tried the Kifaru. Hands down Stone glacier has been the best of them. My hunting partner had a Kuiu the first year I had my SG and now he has a SG. Tough zippers well made very functional and really comfy. The people at SG are great to work with also. I think mine is a solo and does everything I need it to.

28-Apr-16

CurveBow's Link
I read a great report on how a pack is supposed to fit, how load levelers should work, etc in a link recommended by snellpastor. The link is attached once again.

Thanks snellpastor!

Still, have not made a decision, but am getting educated!

>>>>-------->

28-Apr-16

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru!

30-Apr-16
My Kifaru BT1 fits the description you're looking for plus some.

02-May-16
I saw that on Saturday, Camofire had a sale on Mystery Ranch Marshall. I agonized over it, but passed as the pack weighs over 7#; they were 2015 models....

But, they were 41% off, sold at $359.95.....

Back to shopping.....

>>>>-------->

05-May-16
Stay tuned, a purchase is nearing!

>>>>-------->

05-May-16
OK, purchase is done!

I bought a used EXO 3500 from an ad on Rokslide. It is Multicam camo and comes with a load shelf and an extra mesh pocket.

I chose the EXO for the following reasons:

* Light weight - just under 5#. I passed up a Mystery Ranch Marshall new on Camofire for $359 because it was 7#...

* Is expandable and will crunch down for daypack use.

* Is rated well and recommended for being able to handle heavy meat packing loads (I hope I get to test this feature!).

* EXO only makes 2 packs! This makes choosing easier. While I do not doubt that Kifaru packs are great, the options made me dizzy. From where I am and what my needs are, the EXO should suffice. If not, well I can try to emulate Kota-Man! :)

* Finally; I grew weary of shopping, comparing, having 10 tabs open all day at work and on my iPad at night.

I should have the pack some time next week. Once I get it and get it fitted, my plan is to load a 40# bag of wood pellets in it and take the 3 dogs for a walk!

A heartfelt thank you to all who contributed advice to this thread and to those who sent me PM's...

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear