>>>---WW----> 12-May-16
stagetek 12-May-16
MichaelArnette 14-May-16
Mike Vines 14-May-16
Kevin Dill 15-May-16
Jaquomo 15-May-16
Orion 15-May-16
21-Apr-16
According to Reuters News, Tuesday, BP is preparing to make a bid for an undisclosed amount in cooperation with Goldman Sach's, a private equity firm to provide the financing.

The merger possibility has the people of Sidney scared to death. The population of the town is 6,800 and 2,000 of them are employed by Cabela's. If the sale goes through, it is likely BP will move all operations to their headquarters in MO.

I can't see this as being of any benefit to the outdoor community. However, at my age, it is not something I am going to worry about. I used all my Cabela's bonus points yesterday on a new dpeth finder that I simply cannot live without. Every boat needs four.

21-Apr-16
Will be interesting to see how this plays out....I live in Dallas, and we have 2 Cabela's and 2 Bass Pro stores in the area. I would hate to see any of them close.

21-Apr-16
Meh. Not impressed anymore with the inventory carried in the physical stores of either. I enjoy checking out the mounts. I have bought gear from both online but have shifted to Amazon or direct from the company for most of my recent gear purchases.

I grew up in a small town so feel bad for Sidney. Perhaps some of the staff will get offers for Springfield and that is a nice town with milder winter weather. The economic impact will be similar to when a military base shuts down. Jobs go away. Housing demand and value falls. Car dealerships close. Grocery stores, etc, close. Schools lose kids. If Cabelas sponsors a local parade or sports teams or the United Way, etc, then that support dries up.

The mental impact will be devastating. No way to replace the jobs. Denver will be a likely destination as the jobless move away. Some cities rebound if build a relationship with a nearby university and incubate tech startups with low cost of living. Sydney is a bridge too far for that since need a nearby airport with non-stops to key cities and a university to supply the needed talent as the company grows.

My hometown slowly spiraled downward in population for 4 decades since WWII then a bit faster since the 1980s. Is bittersweet when I go back for visits. I try to see people and places based on their best moments rather than the low spots. Lots of low spots as homes and buildings are torn down after neglect. Tough on those who stay. Tough to see on those who did not since we notice the changes since are not gradual for us when we visit once a year or less.

21-Apr-16
Sad to hear of it. From this consumer's perspective it will have little or no effect on me. I haven't spent anything more than nickels and dimes at Cabela's for years. The employees are always the ones to get hurt when these things happen.

21-Apr-16
20 years ago this would be a bummer for me. Losing the current Cabelas doesn't bother me. I feel for the folks that will have their lives changed. I have been through losing a lifer job due to a buyout. As far as losing an option as a consumer, my guess is they will retain some of what separates Cabelas and BP so it may not be a big change. Cabelas isn't the same as it was and I find myself shopping elsewhere more often lately.

21-Apr-16
Cabelas quality has gone down a lot over the past decade. I have some excellent items I purchased 10 or so years ago that I wanted to replace but they do not make anymore. Guess they were too well made and expensive to sustain...

21-Apr-16
I have always preferred Cabelas catalogs for hunting gear over Bass Pro. I would hate to see the merger or takeover, whichever form it becomes. I think that internet shopping has taken a bits off of any brick and mortar store, even if its a storefront of Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Locally in central NYS, I have a Gander Mountain and a Bass Pro in Utica. I shop them both, but rarely spend any big dollars at either.

I'm rooting for Cabelas staying as Cabelas.....

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-16
Just my thoughts: Maybe it is because I own a small hunting supply company but I love to see people shop at local stores. Some of the best and most useful products are not sold in the big box stores. They have a tough vetting process that precludes small companies from supplying these companies. Your small stores are very important to many communities. On the other hand, I sure like their display mounts in the big stores.

21-Apr-16
Cabelas has gone downhill. I used to be a Black Card holder and now have let it drop to Silver status because the points aren't as valuable to me as they used to be. The prices are not competitive anymore so I can usually find the same items cheaper on Amazon or other vendors.

It used to be nice to call Cabelas Visa and have someone pick up the call within a couple rings and take care of you. Now you have to sit through a maze of automated options that haven't been related to my issue just to get a person on the line. Once you finally have a person on the line they ask you the same questions you just answered in the automated maze.

I hope they stay Cabelas but was once the best outdoor store out there is now losing a lot of my business as they try to nickel and dime their loyal customers to death and the perks are going away.

21-Apr-16
I remember looking forward going to the old Cabela's in downtown Sidney as much as a kid at Christmas. We used to call it a "Cabela's run". The old bargain basement was packed with incredible deals. Clerks were friendly and knowledgeable, and if you saw an item in the catalog, it was in the store. Customer service was second to none. Unfortunately, like any business that transforms from a mom & pop operation to a mega-corporation, things change...and not for the better for the consumer.

Although this won't effect me personally, I truly feel for those that will be effected, which includes darn near the entire population of Sidney.

21-Apr-16
Two buddies and I "took off a day of work" when the Cabelas in Owatonna, MN opened (175 miles away, each way).

....Just one of those events you had to be a part of!

Mark

21-Apr-16
14 bass pro stores in FL(a couple under construction) I'd still rather shop on the interweb. I wish they'd build a Scheels down here somewhere, that place is awesome.

21-Apr-16
bigswivle...Scheels started up in my backyard here in the Dakotas. They've become no better or worse than Cabela's or BPS over the years, just a little different. I know our local store is way to focused on yoga pants for soccer mom's to be of any real use to this bowhunter.

21-Apr-16
Brotsky...Yoga pants are NOT just for soccer Moms...Just ask Mark! :):):):)

21-Apr-16
Yeah I ain't gonna lie, yoga pants worn by the correct wearer are a gift from God. Not worn by the correct wearer, not so much.

21-Apr-16
Brotsky;

I've only been to the one in Springfield,Il. I can spend hours in that place. Yoga pants are just a bonus!!!!

21-Apr-16
I've heard that yoga pants are THE must-have gear for turkey hunting! Plus, they are so very sexy

21-Apr-16
I still like going to Scheels in Rapid better than Cabelas. Really liked going into the OLD Sioux Falls store when we were kids. Many great deals there, same with the Cabela's in Sidney.

As far as Cabela's/Bass pro goes, I drive right by our Bass pro every day. Might go in a couple of times a year around the holidays, or if I have a gift card.

Either I am getting to be an elitist or they just don't have what I want any more, but have been in "local" Cabelas a couple of times in the last year and have walked out empty handed. Not much there I can't find cheaper elsewhere.

Would rather shop at REI to be honest with you...

21-Apr-16
I live 3 miles from Cabela's and I am in their store several times a week. I purchase most of my everyday clothing from them. I don't shop BPS at all. If BPS takes them over I will start shopping at the new Shields that headquarters out of Fargo that is suppose to open up in FT. Collins.

I have approximately $700 Cabela's points at the present time.

21-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Come on guys, you know it's true.

21-Apr-16
have neither here in New Mexico so it don't matter.

21-Apr-16
Went to college and then worked for a few years in Springfield MO so I frequented BPS more than once back then. Still go there once in awhile as the main store has a pretty good array of reloading supplies.

Cabelas on the other hand opened a store about an equal distance away in Rogers AR a few years back. It is a nice store with great mounts but the prices always seem higher than BPS and goodness knows they're high enough!

Hate to see the buyout as competition is most often good for things.

21-Apr-16
competition is good. but, they all have high prices. i used to buy a ton of stuff from cabelas, now i just buy what i have points for from my credit card.

22-Apr-16
It's not the Cabela's I grew up with in the 80's.

22-Apr-16
agreed. Hard to believe how 30 short years can change a business.

22-Apr-16
The first time I went to Cabela's, I flew a charter out of Denver to Sydney for a contractor that I think was setting up their computer system at the downtown store in the late 70's or early 80's. We also really enjoyed going to the original store in downtown Sydney. When they first opened the big store on the outskirts of town, it was really cool. You could watch people walk in, and everyone would get a big smile on their face with their first glance around. The uniqueness and quality seemed to diminish the bigger they got. Kinda reminds me of some other institutions. I hardly buy anything from them anymore.

22-Apr-16
I prefer Sportsman's Warehouse over either one.

22-Apr-16
I agree with Wyobullshooter. The Cabela's of 20 years ago was a different store. I haven't shopped there in years, and don't plan to.

I feel bad for the families that it will affect. I do my shopping at the local archery shop, small business online dealers or the local REI store.

22-Apr-16
I usually buy all my archery equipment needs from Lancaster archey online. Other shopping from Amazon etc. not really into the big box stores.

22-Apr-16
Headed to Sidney this weekend, and of course, we'll stop at "The Cathedral" ... maybe it'll dry up now, which is sad

22-Apr-16
Camouflage Wal Marts are merging ?

Support your local Pro Shop

22-Apr-16
Like most of the people above, the business I have given Cabelas has slowly dwindled over the years. To the point I haven't purchased anything in probably 2 years.

However, what concerns me the most with this possible acquisition/merger is some of the specific cabelas brand offerings that are basically the best available option. A few items I put in this category their XWT tent, wooltimate windshear clothing, and breathable bootfoot waders. It will be interesting to see what happens to some of these particular product lines.

22-Apr-16
All of Cabelas product are made by someone else, the product lines will continue, just under a different name

22-Apr-16
I agree with a lot of what has been said. I've been a black card member for years and could not wait for the new stores to open in NC/SC. I have been horribly disappointed in both the service and selection. Cabelas used to set the standard for what customer service should be, now it's just like any other retailer. Once I change credit cards (soon), they will have lost a 30 year loyal customer for life.

22-Apr-16

stoneman's embedded Photo
stoneman's embedded Photo
Back when this catalog was printed, Cabelas and Herters was all we really had for some equipment. However, as stated, they have changed over the years since those days in Sydney. Some things don't improve with age...

22-Apr-16
this will likely ripple through the entire outdoor industry.

lets say you're a company that makes camo or targets or bows... Cabelas and BP are probably 2 of your biggest customers.

Now instead of each of them buying 10,000 units or whatever, the combined business maybe only buys 18,000 because they can better track inventory and figure out how much they really need.

when they buy 18,000 instead of 10,000 at a time, they probably ask for a lower purchase price too, so the folks that are out there making the goods that are sold at cabelas and BP sell less items at lower prices...

in theory anyway.

22-Apr-16
None of this is any surprise. Over the years I used many name brand pieces of gear and when I'd go back for another one I'd find it was no longer available but there was a Cabela's copy... that sucked.

With all of the specialized high tech gear these days I don't buy much from the big box stores anyway. I cannot imagine ever going to one as a replacement for a real archery pro shop. There's a Gander 15 minutes from me for most things. Cabela's is an hour but I hear they are building one in Cranberry Pa which will be really close.

Funny.... even the deer and turkeys have changed living downtown these days.

22-Apr-16
Laughingwater ... um ... supply goes down, price goes UP. You have it backward.

It's a BAD thing to have fewer retailers.

I'm surprised, really, about reading about the folks who don't like this company.

I've got to say that I've been pretty satisfied, overall, with their stuff. Microtex is great, for instance. But overall, I find that I can get reasonable prices for decent goods at Cabelas, and they offer a much wider selection than my local spots.

23-Apr-16
Yep. I agree w/ John H.

Cabelas is the first place I look to buy or research gear.

They seem to be the 'baseline' for outdoor gear for me.

BassPro? Never spent a dime there

23-Apr-16
Perhaps there is a shareholder with say 12% ownership of the Cabelas stock acting as the "tail wagging the dog"?? Follow the money!

23-Apr-16
Wonder how long before the New York Money insists they stop selling guns and ammo? All that free space will be perfect for bird watching supplies, Go Pros and Eco-tour mountain biking equipment. Remember Sports Afield? I rarely shop at either. I make my own arrows from full length shafts and buy my bows locally. In fact, the Columbus store is across the street from the Costco we go to twice a month and I think I've been in Cabbala's once in the last year (and they didn't have what I was looking for, but the young lady was happy to tell me I didn't understand what I was after and suggested something they had in stock). I left chuckling and haven't been back since.

23-Apr-16
Long time client of the big C but only catalog/internet. When the Hamburg PA store opened 1.5 hrs away I was excited to make a trip there with my best hunting buds, we made a day out of it.

In retrospect, it sucked.

The inventory was terrible, they had almost none of the products we wanted to buy in stock. There were a ton of mounts there and the trophy quality was outstanding in some cases, but the taxidermy work was a joke. And the place was so packed we couldn't wait to get out of there.

Been back once or twice and the crowds were thinned out a bit but the people working there were not very knowledgeable or helpful. And the stock on hand was still terrible.

Cabelas is, and likely always will be, a mail order business. The stores are for casual outdoorsman and their families but the serious outdoorsman that I know do their own research and shopping online. Retail really has changed forever.

The move from Sydney to Springfield will hurt jobs in one place, but help in another, but at least they're not moving to Mexico...

23-Apr-16
I only shop at Bass Pro anymore if I receive a gift card. Their model is definitely to be more of a "tourist" destination than purely gear sales in which that model works for them. I grew up in NE Oklahoma about 2.5 hours from Springfield, MO (Original Bass Pro) so it was the equivalent for me as Sidney has been for others.

There is definitely a quality difference in the name brand gear from Cabelas. With an acquisition, I hope they retain that quality.

23-Apr-16
It is funny how I can walk through Cabelas and not buy a thing but my wife can come out with a bag. Remember when Scheels first open back in 70, it was basically a hardware store with a few guns and rods, ended up buying a Charles Daily o/u, but got the rest from the Holiday Gas station even my archery stuff, those were the good days for the dollar.

23-Apr-16
Mule Power, That's funny, I have the same issue with them.

"Over the years I used many name brand pieces of gear and when I'd go back for another one I'd find it was no longer available but there was a Cabela's copy... that sucked."

I can't remember the last thing I bought from Cabela's that wasn't a complete piece of crap that I didn't return (the exception being shotgun shells, or fishing lures). Their size models must be giants; you'd have to be 6.5' tall and 300 lbs to fit in their "medium". I think I have a pair of their camo pants kicking around that my dad bought me when I was 14, that I still haven't "grown" into.....in 25 years. In fairness though, BP also seems to excel at selling crappy stuff, so it should be a good fit and an easy transition; best of luck to BP if they have the money to buy them.

23-Apr-16
Well I hope this doesn't go through. I once worked at Cabela's in Owatonna, MN in the late 90's. I drove 60 miles one way for a part time job to get the employee discount. I made $2900 one year and spent $2800 at the store. I needed some gas money;-) They had the best customer service I had ever seen, they set the bar really high and wherever I shopped I never seen anything compare to it. People returned boots that were shot and we gave them full price if they were not satisfied, I knew this was not sustainable.

I will never forget Jim and Dick Cabela coming all the way to MN to give us our Christmas bonus check in person with a hand shake, a smile and a Thank You.

Now I will admit the stores have gone downhill, but it is still one of the best and I love getting the points for using there credit card. Pay off your monthly balance and it is like a Christmas present, free gear.

My kids love the mounts and aquariums. It still is a treat to visit these stores as a family.

The stores may not carry much but you should be able to call them and have them order the stuff to the store and get free shipping and see if you like it.

I also love the bargain cave, you can get some pretty good deals there. Man I hope Cabela's doesn't close.

01-May-16
I have had my Cabela's Visa card for over 25 years. It expires in June of this year. In previous expiration years,I always received the new card 3 to 4 months before the June expiration ,usually in Feb. or Mar. Today is May 1st,still haven't gotten the new one yet. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the impending sale to BP? Has anybody else on here noticed the same thing?

Bob

01-May-16
Just used my points on a new Cabelas Alaskan Guide six person tent that is $100 off currently. I very rarely pay full price, and for the current price, you will not find a better tent. I bought one 20 years ago and while it still works decently, just couldn't pass up the deal on a new one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/top-deals/camping%7C/pc/105625080/c/905214780/sc/580933980/cabela-s-alaskan-guide-174-geodesic-tent-with-fiberglass-poles-150-6-person/1546762.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D580933980

This won't be a tent you pack in, but for hunts where you drive to the camp, and for family camping trips, I love it.

Their customer service is still hard to beat. I just sent back a 10 year old pair of Meindl boots (lifetime gurantee) because the tops were still great, but the sole separated. They gave me full credit for what I paid toward another pair of boots. BP better not mess with that.

01-May-16
Cabelas customer service about set the standard years ago on how to treat a customer. I still have about 6 to 7 pieces of their clothing line from 15 years ago that are still in great shape. I hope this doesnt happen

01-May-16
I went to the Allen, Texas store yesterday to look at and sit in a blind chair that I was thinking of buying. They were $20 off online and I figured the gas money would offset the shipping on two blind chairs, hence the 130 mile drive. They honored the online price and I picked up a thousand LR primers and a pair of shoes. Just about used my points up. If it goes through, and changes much, I'm gonna miss them, but I don't buy near as much " stuff " as I did when I had a paycheck coming in :)

01-May-16
All three of the three big box stores are suffering from online shopping. It has become simply cheaper to be a mail order company. I've shopped in store at all three over the years. I stopped doing so because many of the stores quit offering in stock what was available online. Plus, quality has drooped as clothing was outsourced over seas. I still have some USA made cold weather clothing from both. Some of it is 20 years old. Looks and functions brand new.

I really could care less as I shop very little at any of them anymore. If Sportsman Warehouse has it, that is where I buy it. Or, preferably local. Other than the lost jobs, it is a cycle whatever way it goes.

Prairie Wing is my new best friend. God Bless men

02-May-16
I just called Cabela's to find out what would happen to my gift cards and Cabela's points if the BP deal went thru. The operator there told me that the BP rumor was not true.

02-May-16
a buddy of mines cousin in law said he saw johnny morris in sydney ne looking at new houses. just sayin.

02-May-16
I was told a rumor about a place I worked was false. A week later a team of suits with preprinted severance checks showed up and watched us pack up our belongings :^)

02-May-16
Actually saw on Fox Business a week or two ago that trading of Cabelas stock had been halted because of the offer from BP. Don't know how much stock (no pun intended) can be put into that but it's out there.

02-May-16
JTV - Glad to read that someone else likes the Primos Stacked 2 reed mouth calls. Those are my go-to mouth calls.

When I couldn't find them locally or in most catalogs, I found them at Midwest Turkey Call Supply. Think I ordered 3 of each last year.

02-May-16
Have always been a big Cabelas shopper. The best customer service in the biz. One thing about today's shopping options - if Cabelas goes downhill, you just shift your shopping somewhere else. Love the megastores, the smaller ones not so much. Either way, trying on clothing before you buy it is a welcome alternative to the internet guess and return.

02-May-16
What he said ^^^^^^^^

02-May-16
A quick check indicates that the stock is still trading. In fact it was up today. The company has requested offers dating back to at least December. Several big financial firms have expressed interest in the credit card business which brought in over $500 million last year. Bass ProShop has also expressed interest. Cabelas may sell the credit card business, the on-line, the catalog, the retail stores, all of it or none of it the way it sounds. With that said the stores will probably stay open and I would guess that the name will stay the same. Changes may be slow and there have been slow changes since the beginning, some good and some not so good.

02-May-16
This is truly going to suck for those unlike myself who do not reload. Cabela's has had THE best prices on ammo especially HG ammo than ANYONE else in my area and WAY better price than BP. Without doubt BP has THE highest ammo prices of any retailor in my area. Often$2-$3 more per box of 50 for 9mm. If BO buys Cabela's that will IMHO end.

03-May-16
Never had a problem with Cabelas. Customer service always helpful when I had to return something. There's alot of choices out there for gear but Cabelas is still in my line up.

03-May-16
If they shoot and don't reload, the extra couple dollars won't equal a hill of beans to them. Because they aren't shooting much to start off with. If so, they'd be reloading. God Bless

03-May-16
Took a hint from bowriter and just spent my Cabela's points on some gear I didn't really need. Got another Revo Inshore. I only have about fifty reels. I noticed when browsing through shoes and clothing that they have limited stock and sizes. Looks like they are shrinking inventory.

03-May-16
I don't know, But Like Twanger said above I believe BP will leave the stores open and stay under the Cabelas name. I don't think they would close the store in Sidney or anywhere else. They are buying them out to kill the competition. It would be foolish in my opinion for them to buy Cabelas out and shut the stores down.

03-May-16
Last 50 times I've been to Cabelas there was nothing but crumbs in the .22 isle anyway, so won't probably notice any negative difference if BP buys them out...who knows, might be better!?!

04-May-16

CurveBow's Link
See the link for some information. Not a rumor....

>>>>-------->

05-May-16
Going to be interesting how this all works out. There is a Cabela's about 9 miles from where I live and I pass it on my way to work. A BPS is supposed to be built (the original plan was for it to be opened last year) 3 miles in the opposite direction from my house. Work was still going on for the BPS until a few months ago. Perhaps it was stopped until the powers that be decide how this merger is going to play out.

10-May-16
I received a Cabelas employee pricing sale card in the mail today valid May 13-16. It does not say anything about how much of a savings this is. Who has worked at Cabelas previously and can let me know? It's only valid on in store merchandise. It says discounts will be taken at the checkout.

10-May-16
hunt'n addict,I got the same card in the mail today. I knew somebody that worked at the Wheeling W.VA. store when it first opened. His discount back then was 30%,I don't know if it is still the same.

Bob

10-May-16
I got the same card and called today. You will get 10 to 40 percent off depending on the item. You can find out by asking before you go the register. I am going to pick up a pair of 600 dollar binos and called and they told me I would get 95 dollars off them.

If you buy "Cabelas" brand items you will get a larger discount.

11-May-16
Made a special trip to Owattona Cabelas for ladder stands. They never had any in stock. Went to a cabelas off of 59 near Elgin Ill, again they have stands on display but none in stock.

Found what I wanted at Gander mountain though in Eau Claire, for a much lower price than Cabela's displays. Cabela's has lost my business.

Brady needed his bow restrung and thought he could get it done in the states at a Cabelas store. They all said it would take 2 weeks. Found a small bow shop near St. Charles and got it fixed up. Cabelas instead tried to sell him a new bow.

11-May-16
Will they still sell caramel corn out front?

11-May-16
Corn will be allocated to the fishes in the tanks:)

11-May-16
I stopped in the Kansas City Cabela's and it was bare bones. No tree stands, bargain cave was half empty, a lot of the bigger items like furniture were gone. ????

12-May-16
I placed a phone order two days ago just to burn all my points. The lady told me there was nothing to the BP rumors. I wonder if they are instructed to say that when ask???

The KC store was very nice several years ago when I stopped by. What a wonderful deer display! And those pork tenderloin sandwiches were great as well. But as I said, that was several years ago.

12-May-16
Not the store it used to be. My credit card is paid off. All gift cards used up. If it heads in a different direction, so will I.

14-May-16
I'm from Oklahoma so bass pro shops land. I've gotten to where I never go there anymore unless I'm in a pinch. They don't carry a lot of the equipment I want and more importantly they rarely if ever have sales and don't have very good pricing. I know of 2 local pro shops that I can get better deals at and better archery selection.

The merger does go to show you that demographics are heavily slanted to the eastern half of the nation where bass pro is king.

14-May-16
I live 3 miles from a Bass Pro Shop and rarely go there. When I do visit, I'm reminded it is just a Camoflaged Walmart.

15-May-16
I'm not particularly negative, but have been to a number of both stores (Cabela's and Bass Pro) and neither is much more than a mass retailer of sporting gear. I get the same little pitter-patter walking into a Home Depot. I find more to like at Panera Bread, and the service is better. My wife likes Bass Pro Cinci store with their selection of outdoor cooking, patio and related stuff. I used to hit the Cabela's in Dundee, MI with regularity and now I don't even consider it. The last 3 times I drove past it I felt smarter!

I get as much or more bang for my sporting buck going to higher quality - lower volume retailers.

15-May-16
One of my good friends is a senior executive with Cabelas. As with all possible mergers and acquisitions, things happen behind the scenes with the finance guys from both sides, with input from the big shareholders (who are pushing this from the Cabelas side).

If the BOD votes to accept Bass Pro's per share offer it will happen. If not, it won't. Until then, it's status-who for both sides.

15-May-16
I hope it doesn't happen. While BPS has always seemed to have a better variety of fishing gear, Cabelas has always had more and better hunting gear, especially for waterfowl hunting.

• Sitka Gear