ElkNut1 05-May-16
Jaquomo 06-May-16
Jaquomo 06-May-16
ElkNut1 06-May-16
cnelk 06-May-16
Jaquomo 06-May-16
cnelk 06-May-16
23-Apr-16
Here is another video I took a couple years ago while out messing around.

This video is geared for someone that would shoot a cow elk.

The scenario:

You spot this elk is coming in to your calling. Watch the video and hit 'Pause' when you would shoot. Reply to this thread with that time - min/sec

Obviously when hunting we cant 're-watch' the scenario so here is your chance to see if you selected the best time.

I hope these videos are helpful

23-Apr-16
1:38

23-Apr-16
3:23

23-Apr-16
I meant 1:06, not 3:23....read the screen wrong.

23-Apr-16
1:31 spot, she walks behind something I might of been able to draw my stick bow, one of the reasons I like decoys so much, keeps their attention off you and easier to draw

23-Apr-16
1:37

23-Apr-16
Without a doubt at 1:38, the way the cow is acting there is no reason not to wait for a the right moment to draw, as soon as she cleared the tree and her legs stopped the arrow would have been on its way.

23-Apr-16
3:23 as well

23-Apr-16
1:11

23-Apr-16
1:11 with the stickbow. Perfect.

23-Apr-16
1:38,draw when she walks behind the tree.

23-Apr-16
Probably would have drawn at 1:11 but she started walking again likely before I was settled. When she started walking again, I would have cow called to stop her once she was in the open again.

23-Apr-16
1:10. I wanted to beat Mike and Jaq to the punch!

23-Apr-16
There are a couple of good opportunities...I would probably quickly draw at 1:33, and let the air out of her at 1:38.

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Apr-16
:24. I have to think when she is broadside there you could move right 6 inches and shoot from behind the tree in front of you.

23-Apr-16

23-Apr-16
2:00

23-Apr-16
1:10 or about 1:38

23-Apr-16
I guess I'm jumpy. Took her at :50....

23-Apr-16
Waited too long enough times. Take first good shot so I release at 51. A little quartering to, but a dead elk.

23-Apr-16
Good stuff cnelk. These scenarios are very informative. That was difficult for me without the benefit of being able to scan ahead and look for openings...as that dictates my shot as much as anything.

I say 1;40.....but in real life that may have been too long to wait as it might have been really thick past 1;10 ish....you just don't know what it looks like to the left.

Good stuff though.

24-Apr-16
lots of shots once she clears, but 1:40 looked best to me

24-Apr-16
To be totally honest, I most likely would have drawn at 1:05 and passed on the shot at 1:11 as she was a little close to that tree for my liking. My next opportunity would have been at 1:39. Dead elk! Good stuff Brad. Thanks for posting.

24-Apr-16
I would have shot at 1:11 the first time she stood still and had near leg forward to open up that chest area.

Video watching for a choice is a little more difficult for me just because I couldn't foresee if clearance for a shot would get better or worse as she progressed to the left. Being there in person may have influenced my decision to continue to wait a little longer for a shot as other's chose.

eta: read other's responses and see beendare had my same thought regarding the ability to look ahead on her path for what might have been a better shot opportunity.

24-Apr-16
No shot for me because I don't believe in shooting cow Elk unless you are a beginner, a youth or senior citizen hunter. To many factors working against our Elk herds now to be shooting the producers. Ironically the worst of the factors are the game and fish departments and the cattleman's assoc. in conjunction with hunters ignorant enough to believe if they will print the tag and sell it to you, there is nothing wrong with filling it. That being said, if it were a Bull, 1:40 is were I would have killed him... (What kind of camera is that? SUPER shaky???)

24-Apr-16
Elkman

There are many units in Colorado that are over herd objectives. And the CPW gives a lot of cow tags to help with that situation.

As far as shooting cow elk is for beginners, youth or seniors that is your opinion but Im sure many on here would shoot a cow.

In most units in Colorado, spikes are illegal to shoot. They are stupid, IMO cow elk are lots harder to shoot than spikes.

These are the elk that should be shot by beginners, youth or senior citizens

24-Apr-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
BTW

This is a really nice spike you shot here :)

24-Apr-16
In the units cnelk hunts, where I used to hunt, the bull-cow ratio is so out of whack that you can get an either sex archery tag, plus a couple antlerless tags if you work the seasons properly. The CPW begs people to shoot cows. Extra cow tags are OTC for archery, half price for NRs.

The big ranche$ outfit for bulls but rarely shoot cows, and in the past 20 years it's gotten out of hand. Not unusual to see herds of 80+ cows with 5-6 bulls during the rut.

24-Apr-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This photo was taken mid-September. I tried to hunt the herd bull in this mess. There were five satellites hanging around, bugling nonstop, and the poor big guy was running himself ragged.

24-Apr-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This photo was taken on public land where I hunted in an OTC unit next to cnelk's the week before archery season started. Two days after the bow season started the whole shebang was on a big adjacent outfitted private ranch where they don't shoot cows, only bulls. Drives the CPW biologists nuts.

The herd (this is only the part that would fit into the camera frame) broke in two and stayed in two herds of @150 each during the whole archery season. We could see them from high points, just couldn't hunt them.

24-Apr-16
1:10

24-Apr-16

24-Apr-16

25-Apr-16
1:37

25-Apr-16
1 :38

I'll shoot a cow that doesn't have a calf any day.

27-Apr-16
Released at 1:39 I let her settle into the stop.

28-Apr-16
I hit the pause button at 1:12. The 1:38 mark was definitely the best shot.

28-Apr-16
The thing about hindsight is that at 1:11 one doesn't know what will happen at 1:13, much less 1:38. By then the whole opportunity may have blown up with a wind shift.

Always take the first "best" shot.

29-Apr-16
Exactly what Jaq said! Don't force a shot that's not there, but when it is, take it. You may not get another opportunity.

29-Apr-16
I agree with the 1:11 although I would have been getting itchy.

Do you guys stop a cow like that with a little mew when after you've drawn or do you just wait it out until they stop?

29-Apr-16
I never use a mew anymore because it often doesn't stop them on a dime. They hear mews all day long and if every elk stopped every time they heard a mew, they'd never get anywhere.

Instead I use a soft voice "bark" on a cow if necessary, made by sucking in air though my throat and palate. You can also do it with a diaphragm if you have good control. I'll do it louder and sharper for a bull, and it stops them every time. I wait until their eyes are just starting to go behind the tree, then hit the "bark", and draw when they can't see me.

With a wheelie bow you can draw earlier and hold for the shot, but it's still good to stop them where you want to release.

29-Apr-16
Thank you. I'll store that for future reference :)

05-May-16

05-May-16
1:37 is the shot I would be looking for. She stands for plenty long enough to take her out. The 1:11 time she stands for aprox 2-1/2 seconds,not long enough, not many if any hunter could settle their pin on her even if at full draw as she stops there. That 1:11 shot has gut shot written all over it as she moves forward on ones release.

ElkNut1

05-May-16
Any experienced elk hunter would know how to stop her at 1:11 for the shot. That's a no-brainer. At that point you don't know what will happen a few seconds afterward, much less a half a minute

05-May-16
I would also stop her at 1:11. It's a good shot if she stays and you never know what will happen next. I believe in taking the first good shot you get.

05-May-16
With all due respect it's a tough go there, most hunters are not experienced elk killers. At full draw trying to settle a dancing pin when she stops out of no where takes a bit of time & then she moves fairly quick,most hunters if they even thought of calling at that exact moment would do it as they saw movement out of nervousness which could lock her up behind the tree. She's now locked on your calling & is on high alert as she sees no elk & her vitals are covered, tough situation & I speak from experience not hind sight. Choose what you may but as an experienced elk killer I'm waiting!

I will say I was very tempted at 1:11 but when I saw her move so quick I did not like that! I would have held & hoped like hell I didn't prematurely let the arrow fly because bad things would have happened!

ElkNut1

06-May-16
With a compound you draw at 1:03, track with the pin, settle and release at 1:11. Easy. With a trad bow hunting solo, as many of us do, that 1:11 shot is a piece of cake when we freeze her head behind the tree.

Even without any freeze sound, 2.5 seconds is plenty of time, and if she doesn't see you draw she will lock up at the sound of the release until the arrow hits home. In real life you don't know if she's going stand there for 2.5 seconds or 25 seconds. The shot is there.

I've killed many in that exact same situation. In fact, that's the situation I try to create. Stopped, vitals exposed, head behind a tree. I've also waited for a more "perfect" shot and had everything go haywire, kicking myself for passing the opportunity.

Where Brad shot that video, at that time of of day, the wind could shift instantly.

It's good to teach inexperienced hunters when to take advantage of the "first best" opportunity. That's what real video scenarios like this are all about.

06-May-16
1:38 is also a great shot. Problem is, in real life we don't have the luxury of seeing into the future as we do on video.

I suspect some answers would be different if she had winded Brad in the video and bolted at 1:16, or turned and walked straight away.

Nothing wrong with passing "iffy" shots, and it should be encouraged. But I don't see anything iffy about 1:11 for a hunter who is prepared to shoot then.

06-May-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Lou, I know you're not advocating risky shots at elk. I was offering an opinion on the clip & the time frame that seemed to suit myself there. No doubt with many trials & errors on my part over the years I've come to appreciate more patience these days. Doesn't mean an animal needs to be broadside or shots are passed as there are many angels that are extremely deadly on elk.

But when an elk stands for such a short time & a tree is right there to contend with as we try to slip an arrow into the vitals & not hit the tree & the elk moves just as we want to release we seem to get that rushed mentality or maybe even instinct takes over to hurry & shoot before it's gone. That's where issues can happen with even experienced hunters.

This is a photo of Paul II (my son) with an elk he shot & we didn't find until several days later. Now Paul is an experienced elk hunter, that was his 23rd elk with a bow. The shot was 30 yards with a compound. I called this bull in away from his cows & Paul was setup perfectly for this guy to pass in front of him. Paul sees the bull's antlers coming through the willows & draws ahead of time, 10 seconds later the bull is broadside & stops to look in my direction where I'm bugling from. Paul settles his pin straight up his leg & is getting ready to release when the bull steps forward, he tells me I don't know why I shot but it was like now or never & there was no time to even think about it.

He pulls the trigger & shoots too far back & high right over the liver as we found out later. -- He told me he should have never shot, I know better! (those were his very words) Once that bull took a step he knows he should have let him do it & then stop him with a nervous grunt then take him which he's done so many times before.

Maybe I'm getting a bit gun shy in my older years but it seems to have payed off OK in the long run, I cannot recall any elk once in range where waiting a hair longer has cost me a shot on an elk! Fingers crossed! (grin)

ElkNut1

06-May-16
The results are pretty close between shooting early [1:11] or later [1:38] with a little edge going to the early time.

An experienced elk hunter probably will have drawn at 1:03 and followed her with no pin dancing.

At 1:11 the arrow will be on its way. As an experienced elk hunter knows that an arrow traveling 300fps will get there before she can move.

Then the experienced elk hunter has another dead elk on the ground.

There is not a problem with waiting for the shot that best accommodates your abilities. Just realize that there may not be another opportunity after the first one passes.

^^^^ experienced this first hand more than once ^^^^

06-May-16
elknut, my point was that I would hold the cow there with her head behind the tree at 1:11. No need to rush the shot then. We solo hunters must learn to do that because we don't have the luxury of having one or more "angels" calling and decoying to move the elk into position for us to shoot.

Solo hunters develop different skill sets, especially solo trad hunters. We must learn when and where to stop an elk so we can draw and shoot without the elk bolting.

Perhaps you are more accustomed to team hunting, and in that case the the other guy can "joystick" the elk into a great position for the shooter. I've only shot one elk that someone else worked in for me so I can't relate. My partner and I used to team-call bulls that we passed (we called them "sport bulls") and I've done it for hunters I guided, and its no great trick to pull an elk past a shooter to give him a great shot. But solo calling and creating the shot is a different skill level altogether.

I don't particularly like shots like the one at 1:38 where the elk is locked into the shooter. One step and its a gut shot. A "crouch" at release is a high shot.

06-May-16
BTW.

This cow elk came into a call sound I named "Stoned Jealous Hooker' - unique to Colorado.

It can only be used in other elk states but only where legal.

Idaho, not so much...

• Sitka Gear