midwest 25-Apr-16
Bear Track 25-Apr-16
Bear Track 25-Apr-16
Bear Track 25-Apr-16
Skippy 26-Apr-16
25-Apr-16

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Last Monday I woke to this sunrise and our guide Pat and I headed north to start our baiting ritual of spring

25-Apr-16

In the shaded places far back from intruding sunlight, we still found an inch or 2 of snow.

25-Apr-16
Aww man, now I'm going to have to look at this for two weeks? You're killing me Ron! Ha! You and Pat stay safe up there and best of luck with your baiting. Looking forward to seeing what shows up on camera! See you guys in a couple weeks!

25-Apr-16

We also found we were not the first ones to be headed down my trails last week.

25-Apr-16

This is our guide Pat. My right had man and friend. A few of you have met Pat. He's a very knowledgable woodsman. The bait he's pouring is our secret super bait. I'll go through 300 of those pails of bait a year, besides all the other offerings we use.

25-Apr-16

That picture of Pat actually happens to be a bait site we call Pat's Bait.

For those of you that have been to the end of the Indian Trail, this bait site is what we call naturally "The Third One on the Indian Trail". If you've been there, you'll see the stand is now 3 or 4 yards back in that shaded spot. It's a 21 or 22 yard shot, but I am happy where it is now. The stand was on the tree to the right.

25-Apr-16

This is the "Paddle Bait". Again I wanted a change to it and Pat and I moved the barrels back a bit. They were too close before, but guys on here like Bushbow, thought it was just fine the way it was.

25-Apr-16

We were able to get baited 21 bait sites in the 4 days we were there. We'll be headed back this week to bait 3 bait sites I have not been able to get to in 4 or 5 years. This is way down the "Trap Line" where I've taken 2 - 7" bears in one night. It's a long ways back but worth it. Our other job will be to place my 5 boats on the 26 mile long river that I hunt. I place them across the river from my bait sites. It's way more convenient and works for me and the guests. The ice should be off our lake this week with the wind we're having in Winnipeg today, so by the weekend, all baiting will be completed. Sorry Pat, after finding that super killer spot across from the first one on the "Indian Trail", we'll be moving it to the new spot, high and dry.

25-Apr-16

Though the bear on the left in the picture with the 2 bears is not with us any more, the one on the right is and so is this one.

25-Apr-16
Have a great season, Ron. Hey to Pat and Jeannine.

25-Apr-16
Oh man! I'm so excited to take our guests down the "Trap Line" where the last 2 pictures were taken a few years ago on "Trap Line #4". The "Trap Line" was a 13 mile atv ride with baits every 2 miles. Many times I've brought out 2 and 3 bears from there in the past in one night. In the recent past, I have not been able to get down there due to flooding but after finding a new dry route, we're back in the game down there. Makes me want to head up there now.

25-Apr-16
Sounds like you had a bear under you Nick! That's Trap Line #2. We keep moving that barrel from tree to tree because they roll it making holes in the ground and the water pools with the barrel stuck in it.

25-Apr-16
Sounds like you had a bear under you Nick! That's Trap Line #2. We keep moving that barrel from tree to tree because they roll it making holes in the ground and the water pools with the barrel stuck in it.

26-Apr-16
Thanks for the update Ron, makes it hard to wait till June. Love the trap line!

• Sitka Gear