Cazador 08-May-16
Steve H. 08-May-16
TEmbry 08-May-16
Cazador 08-May-16
brunse 08-May-16
bigeasygator 09-May-16
LKH 10-May-16
28-Apr-16
Question for our online experts.Draw odds, can anyone weigh in on a couple questions I have?

Lets say you have 5 tags available to draw, and 10 people apply which equates to 50% odds. Is there a better chance at drawing with 10 tags available with 20 people applying?

In the above example, there are no weighted points here, it's a straight draw.

Same goes, if you have 500 tags, and 1000 people apply. You're at the 50% odds. What if there are 600 tags, and 1250 people apply? The raw percentage is less, but more tags are offered. Do you have better odds?

I've seen units that only have one tag available, and others with 5, but the percentage of people applying vs. the tags available equals the same percentage.

Thanks

28-Apr-16
No.

And I am not a math guy. :)

28-Apr-16
What am I missing? Odds of drawing are the same (assuming you met 1200 vs. 1250 in last example).

28-Apr-16
Just trying to confirm. I too think odds are odds, but it seems I'm always on the other side of the odds.

28-Apr-16
The percentages are the percentages. Which gives you the odds. More tags doesn't increase the odds if the # of applicants has the same corresponding increase.

28-Apr-16
I hear you Caz.

When I flip a coin, I have a 75% chance of being wrong!

28-Apr-16
ummm

28-Apr-16
I would still have 100% chance of not drawing. either way. lol

28-Apr-16
I know people say that they are the one who is always on the other side of the odds. I believe it because that is normally me too. I believe mostly though because I know those other guys that put in for tags with ridiculous odds and always seem to be the guy walking away with the tag.

28-Apr-16
I put in in every state for sheep for 13 years. It was expensive and very disheartening to watch "unsuccessful" come up over 100 times.

But I drew a NR Arizona desert sheep tag in 2014. Was it basically a miracle? Yes. But it is true that "someone has to draw."

Hang in there.

28-Apr-16
Caz, assuming that the methodology of the draw is truly a randomized process, yes your odds to draw will be the same at 50%, in the first of your side-by-side comparisons.

In your second comparison, once again assuming a true random process, your odds will be less in the 2nd scenario with the 600 tags and 1250 apps, meaning 48% odds to draw.

You could also calculate the odds of drawing in back-to-back years, three years in a row, & etc.

Or more interestingly, you could calculate the odds of not drawing for 3 years in a row, 4 years in a row, and etc. For example, the chance for an individual to go several years without drawing in a 50% (coin toss) draw are:

2 years 25%
3 years 12.5%
4 years 6.25%
5 years 3.1%
6 years 1.6%

Meaning for a 50-50 type draw with about 1000 applicants per year, there will be, on average, about 16 guys who will go six years straight without drawing. No doubt those are the guys who'll swear the system is rigged against them. But in truth, it's just a normal expected result in a random draw ;-)

28-Apr-16
If you use Sitka Gear I would venture your odds are slightly better:)

28-Apr-16
Lets say you have 5 tags available to draw, and 10 people apply which equates to 50% odds. Is there a better chance at drawing with 10 tags available with 20 people applying?

I know you said you're not a math guy but this has to be a trick question right?

28-Apr-16
Only a slight improvement Charlie? Sitka will come out with a newer model next year that will improve your odds even more! (And people will buy it!) LOL!

28-Apr-16
In a completely random draw state your #'s are right. In states with bonus or preference points, that would not be the case; you'd also need to factor in how many points all the applicants went into the draw with.

28-Apr-16
50% of the time you'll get drawn every time.

28-Apr-16
"Meaning for a 50-50 type draw with about 1000 applicants per year, there will be, on average, about 16 guys who will go six years straight without drawing. No doubt those are the guys who'll swear the system is rigged against them. But in truth, it's just part of the normal expected result in a random draw ;-) "

The opposite would be true as well, 16 guys would draw the tag every year for 6 yrs in a row and you would swear they were cheating!

28-Apr-16
The most common mistake I see guys make in calculating their draw odds is to simply add their % chances to draw in each state and calling that their odds. In other words, thinking being in 5 draws at 2% gives them a 10% chance to draw a tag.

There is a slight increase in draw % if you are in multiple draws as in the above example. But only slight.

28-Apr-16
I just figure it's always a 50% chance, I either draw or I don't!

28-Apr-16
I hear you Caz, I feel better about my odds when there's 15 tags and 150 guys applying, than when there's 1 tag and ten guys applying. I know the percentage is the same but it feel my luck is not good enough to be the first one out of the hat. If you'll quit applying for 16D, 16D& 16A your odds will go up.;) 3 NR tags and 1200 applicants doesn't bode well.

28-Apr-16
If you apply as a group would that improve your odds? I believe in Colorado everyone in the group has there app in the drawing and if any of you draw then you all draw unless there are not enough tags left for your whole group.

28-Apr-16
If you apply as a group would that improve your odds? I believe in Colorado everyone in the group has there app in the drawing and if any of you draw then you all draw unless there are not enough tags left for your whole group.

Your odds go down. Here's why, group of 4, only the group leader is in the draw. The other 3 are "attached" to his app. 50 tags available, he must be one of the first 47 drawn for the entire group to get tags.If he's drawn 48-50th his app gets passed over because there isn't enough tags for the whole group.

28-Apr-16
sticksender,

I would agree with you if those "16 guys" and everyone else had the same number assigned to them for 6 years in the sequence of total applicants. But, that number changes every year (as in application number) so, the real outcome is that 16 guys in general won't draw, and those 16 won't necessarily be the same every year.

On a different note, depending on the state and how they conduct the draw, it varies on how you can figure your odds of drawing. When it is by applicants for a particular unit competing against themselves and not others, it's pretty cut and dry to figure your chances, and they likely are always better than if it is by chance when your application comes up among ALL the others.

29-Apr-16
I personally know Caz and I swear he's NOT a retard. He always mumbled about liking French fried taters however....

29-Apr-16
That's another common fallacy. People that think they should draw a tag with, say, 20% odds once every five years. You're odds are still 20% every year and they don't increase if you don't draw from one year to the next.

29-Apr-16
Well if you use democratic math then if 20 people apply and there are 10 tags everyone will be reported as 100% success in drawing a tag.

UNLESS there is a republican in charge then they (The Democrats) will report that it is an unfair system that all illegals were not given equal opportunity to draw a tag so there for there will be protest rallies held on the freeway that runs thru Colorado to stop all the hunters because that is the new way to protest! so in 2017 all illegals will be given a permit for free which will put a strain on the local herd therefor due to your income you will be no longer entitled to draw for a tag

I hope this solves your math question.

29-Apr-16
If a draw is a 50/50 chance, there is a 90% chance I won't draw.

29-Apr-16
It seems like you do have better odds the more tags there are. If there are 2 tags and 4 applications, you have 50% chance at the first tag, then a 33% chance at the second tag.

If there are 1000 tags and 2000 applications, you have 50% chance at the first tag, 49.9% chance at the second tag etc.

Maybe I just confused myself haha

29-Apr-16
It seems I used all my luck years ago on a Bighorn tag. I can still remember that conversation " You didn't draw your goat tag, but blah blah sheep" What was that on the sheep? "You drew"

Can't draw a goat tag to save my life. Have watched everyone around me draw though. Hell one year dude walks up to my desk "what goat unit should I put in for" Me, well, I shouldn't say this but 15, first season....draw comes out, dude draws!

I'd move to Alaska but I'm afraid of the men up there, that and Bigfoot that works for the Forest Service.

29-Apr-16
The increasing odds deal over multiple years is a complicated algorithm. As I said, there is some slight increase over 20% in the above "20% odds every year for 5 years" example that you will draw - but this is a function of being in multiple draws over time. The odds each year are indeed 20%, but the overall odds of drawing a tag in the 5 year period are greater than 20% since you have multiple chances (draws).

There is an algebraic formula for it, but I'm not that smart.

29-Apr-16
Yogi said it is 90% half mental anyway.

29-Apr-16
Quote: "The increasing odds deal over multiple years is a complicated algorithm"

txhunter, not overly complicated. Just first realize that the answer is related to the "binomial distribution". It'll be fairly straightforward to calculate. I won't show calculations, it'd take up too much space ;-)

So, take the 20% annual odds scenario that you cited. Assume there are no waiting period requirements and no points. So with 5 years worth of draws, for any particular individual there are 6 possible outcomes, with roughly:

40.96% odds to draw 1 tag
20.48% odds to draw 2 tags
5.12% odds to draw 3 tags
0.64% odds to draw 4 tags
0.032% odds to draw 5 tags
32.77% odds to draw zilch

Seems that I'm usually a member of that last group ;-)

29-Apr-16
If you really want to get picky, you don't have a 50% chance of being drawn, but rather 50% of the people in the draw will get drawn. Close, but not really the same.

10 people 5 tags: 50% of the people will get a tag 9 people 4 tags 8 people 3 tags 7 people 2 tags 6 people 1 tag

So for each "draw" that you don't win, your odds actually go down. So the odds of any one person drawing a tag are actually slightly lower than 50%

29-Apr-16
Thanks sticksender. It's still hard for me. :)

29-Apr-16
Steve H.

"Ought not to talk to the boy like that um hmm"

08-May-16
Well it looks like I may have been on the right side of the math.

08-May-16
Cazzie, you finally draw a goat tag?

08-May-16
"That's another common fallacy. People that think they should draw a tag with, say, 20% odds once every five years. You're odds are still 20% every year and they don't increase if you don't draw from one year to the next."

This is flawed thinking. Ignoring bonus points and other rules that complicate things, as Sticksender pointed out... a straight draw for 20% each year over a 5 year period doesn't guarantee a tag in 5 years, but you do have greater than a 67% chance of drawing atleast ONCE during that 5 year period. (around 90% chance of pulling the tag over 10 years).

You can't look at each year individually, you must look at the odds that you continually DON'T draw (.8 x.8 x.8 etc etc for each year you put in).

08-May-16
Looks like a BH steve.

08-May-16
I have a friend that has drawn a 40-50% tag without points, 8 years in a row. wont buy a damn lottery ticket though.

09-May-16
TEmbry,

Yes, when looking ahead multiple years, that's how you would calculate it. That being said, your odds in any given year are 20%. Past failure or success won't change the odds in any given year you are trying to draw.

10-May-16
Here's the real scary part, if you put in for a tag with 50% chance of draw, is it possible you could apply for the same tag for 100 years and not draw???

Yes

• Sitka Gear