sitO 29-Apr-16
jims 29-Apr-16
trkyslr 29-Apr-16
AXE MAN 30-Apr-16
Lee 30-Apr-16
JTV 30-Apr-16
jims 30-Apr-16
29-Apr-16
Twice now Ive had birds that once down from roost, go to a unaccessible property and will answer, gobble at every one of my calls, but wont get any closer than 70 to 100 yds....but they will gobble their heads off ....Ive tried silence after they respond, twice I moved closer, and even moved further away switching positions 70-100 yds....they stay where they are on that other chunk of land, either in a woodlot, or on a big open field.... what can be done if anything to get them to me....if anything....yes, I'm a good caller and have killed quite a few birds, but these have me scratching my head.....I wish I could go after 'em, but I cant ....

29-Apr-16
Get rid of the Jake or Tom decoy, and try a different call they haven't heard...see what happens.

29-Apr-16
Once the hens start nesting the toms will likely be alone and prowling later in the morning. Stick with it and they may return later in the morning...especially if you are a good caller and can keep their attention. Most states don't allow afternoon hunting. The will likely return to roost in the evening if you can hunt then?

29-Apr-16
As sito said try diff type calls is one thing.. Does this happen at the same time of the day? This may also be related to them being henned up... Where they're hanging what is there, a field, a pasture with stocks hay or feed maybe keeping them there, etc?? Can you post an overhead Google map of the prop and mark where the birds are hanging and where you setup? Id like to help with ideas but need more info

30-Apr-16
Use two calls at once.....and back away .( a had caller and a mouth at once ) , call Softly and move away) they "may "follow you .

30-Apr-16
Probably have hens with them - once they leave him to go lay he will likely come Check you out. Worked one from 0530 to 0815 the other day. Same scenario you detailed but I could see him the whole time. The minute his hens left he came right in! Stay with it.

Lee

30-Apr-16
I'm on state land, and we must stop at noon ....the guys on private can hunt all day...there are guys also hunting on the private land.....If I knew how to post a google earth pic, I would, I'm computer illiterate when it comes to that....the State land is basically a huge CRP, low grass area and the private that borders it has a woods to the west and a huge not plowed yet crop field to the north(was beans last year)... I'm setting up along the edge(no blind/w shotgun/ 2 hens and a Jake decoys)25-70 yds in from along the edge of the woods where there are a few trees/cottonwoods,bushes,CRP...the state has a tractor trail cut along the edge bordering the properties, it is grass/clover/weeds,etc....I can see easily over 100 yds.. the fence line that borders the state and the huge field is over grown, and hard to see thru it, but there are deer trail going thru it in spots.....in 3 days, I heard 2 shots(on separate days on that private(they got their birds)....there are small wood lots on that private/5 -10 acres in size...it is actually a better property than where I am Habitat wise for birds as it is where the birds hang out. They strt and gobble in the huge field its about 25 acres...I'm trying to pull the birds from the private to the state land....they do 3 day draw hunts on the state land...Ive got another 3 days coming on May 11,12,13...but by then it will have had pressure from other hunters and who knows how they call and set up.....like I said, once the birds leave the roost, they stay on that private 'cause it is a better area.... I'm stuck where I'm at.... Prior to the season opening, on various days, I did see birds on the state land as I glassed at a distance scouting, they were there in the late afternoon....but as said, I have to end at noon..... I set up yesterday Am on a grassy stretch where a pipe line goes thru on a finger of trees/scrub that boarders it. by the time I can get back out there, the grass will be knee high or taller, its growing fast.. I had birds gobbling on the roost, and after fly down, but they went to that private and stayed there... at 10am, I heard a shot about 3-400 yds from me on the private....

30-Apr-16
It sounds like the turkeys pretty much are on a daily routine. Until something changes they may stay on a schedule. Possibly set up to intercept them between where they fly down and the private land. If they don't like your decoys or calling maybe try a quiet approach without decoys and wait for them to pass by after fly down. Each day you can also hope the hens leave the toms and the toms return to where you are hunting before noon. Try to keep the tom's interest with soft and random hen talk that is changed up. I always stay flexible and willing to change things up depending upon the reaction and response you get from the turkeys.

• Sitka Gear