gil_wy 03-May-16
glidingindian 03-May-16
4blade 03-May-16
12yards 04-May-16
Hawkeye 04-May-16
Amoebus 04-May-16
12yards 04-May-16
30-Apr-16
Just thinking about my lasik next week and wondered about being able to read my rangefinder. Looking forward to no glasses for shooting.

30-Apr-16
I had eye correction performed many years ago. Hated being in the mtns for days on end with either dusty lenses or dry contacts at the end of the day.

A few years later I began needing reading glasses. Not complaining as I was forewarned I would need them anyway as most people do post 45 years old. I'm 52 now and my arms not long enough to hold stuff far enough out to read anymore - at all! {cue the sarcastic wife voice as I try anyway} ;-)

But...I can read my Vortex range finder just fine. Not even a hint of difficulty. I doubt I'm much different than others regarding this.

Andy

30-Apr-16
I can read the rangefinder also. It is things like small printing on the GPS that I still need my reading glasses for.

I had the lasik about 2 years ago and I am still sensitive to bright lights. It is much better than the first month or two after the surgery, but it is still noticeable. That is about the only downside that I have found.

Being out in the rain/snow without glasses is a GREAT thing.

30-Apr-16
Thanks guys I feel much better about it,Fred

30-Apr-16
I was going to get it done this year and went for a consult. He said the first 3 months there can be some issues in low light, which put me into the beginning of hunting season since I can't get it done till June so I'm waiting till next Feb.

Go for a consult. It's typically free. Your eyes have to be a candidate for the various procedures and you need to be checked. They'll also tell you all about it.

Ask which laser they use because the new ones ($$$) are far better and do the procedure in 1/10th the time.

30-Apr-16
Have done consult and am scheduled for Tuesday. I just thought of the rangefinder issue this morning. My wife had hers done last week and she is doing great. They are using the new laser here.

30-Apr-16
Have done consult and am scheduled for Tuesday. I just thought of the rangefinder issue this morning. My wife had hers done last week and she is doing great. They are using the new laser here.

30-Apr-16
I am looking into it as well. Michele my wife went to do it 2 years ago but her iris and retina do not line up properly so she isn't a candidate. Well we could drive to Canada and get it done but that's not happening.

I plan on getting a consult in June.

I really appreciate this thread....

30-Apr-16
Kelly, there's two other procedures. The new one is this implanted lens thing. It's several micro lenses in one and your brain learns where to look for the distance you're looking.

My mom loves them. But they cost much more than lasik

30-Apr-16
I had my left eye done for reading, works good 5 years later if the light is good. I see 20/25 distance in that eye. Right eye is 20/20 for distance.

Make damn sure they test you for tear production, I wasn't or probably would not have been a candidate. I have dry eye now, right after surgery, and it has been a freaking nightmare. I will probably have problems the rest of my life!

30-Apr-16
Did lasik 6 years ago.... Loved the result... Vision still 20/10.....

Love not stuffing contacts in my eyes first thing in the am.. And it really shines in the backcountry...

01-May-16
I couldn't click on this thread fast enough. I'm about ready for a consult myself.

01-May-16
I had LASIK two years ago. I had an astigmatism. I was pretty nervous about the procedure but now I'm so glad I did it. I recommend it to everyone I know that is thinking about getting it. No more messing with contacts or glasses on hunting/scouting trips. My vision is better than it was with glasses or contacts. The new technology they use now is pretty amazing.

01-May-16
Had it done 5 or 6 years ago and still very happy. It's not for everyone, but I had mono vision done. Left eye sees close and right eye distant. That way I don't need readers. It's awesome.

01-May-16
one of the best decisions i have ever made! I went from 20/40 to 20/15 and I'm seeing things I never saw. The biggest difference I've noticed is being able to see details. For example, we have a lot of cactus and mesquite on our ranch and I can now see deer and antelope thru the brush where in the past, i couldn't see past the cactus or mesquite.

01-May-16
I am 60 years old. Any one here in that age category and still have it done

01-May-16
NC hunter just hit 50 but have needed it for about 3-4 years

01-May-16
I'd wait NC Hunter. You'll "eventually" need your cataracts taken out one day, and more or less, it's like Lasik with better options for near and far correction. You can do it past 55 but you'll then need a dual procedure with a thinner cornea to boot down the road. Just food for thought but discuss that option with your surgeon before proceeding IMO at that age.

Most everyone I've seen at 10yrs + post Lasik has some creep in RX and will likely show some prescription changes. I'm not saying that it would amount to much or even effect "your" perception of perfect, but it will show up. The statements on dry eye are also valid and must be considered also.

Good luck in your choice and just be sure to ask alot of questions and educate yourself before diving in.

01-May-16
Had it done in 2010.No more foggy glasses to worry about!

01-May-16
I had it done 17 years ago. Best thing I have ever spent money on.

02-May-16
Idyyllwildarcher you wrote (Kelly, there's two other procedures. The new one is this implanted lens thing. It's several micro lenses in one and your brain learns where to look for the distance you're looking. My mom loves them. But they cost much more than lasik)

My dad and my mother in law had lenses put in their eyes due to cateracts. I often wondered when this would become the norm? Glad to see its coming out. They both have phenomenal vision since the lenses were installed.

Genesis if your reading this which direction would you go given the choice?

02-May-16
idyll - what was the low light issue your doc talked about? I don't remember having any special issues with that.

I had forgotten about the dry eye, but that was an issue for 4-6 months. You can get some incredibly expensive eye drops (OTC) that took care of it for me. Now, I have maybe 1 dry day every month, but that may be my pre-lasik frequency.

02-May-16
How about your sight pins? Can you see it ok?

02-May-16
There is a lot of information here. But is there one single source of good information that may be more comprehensive?

02-May-16
"But is there one single source of good information that may be more comprehensive?"

if there is it won't be on a hunting website! LOL

02-May-16
I got it done way back in 1997, when lasik was relatively new - and because it was, I paid a premium. I didn't care though, I was sick of glasses, and then sick of contact lenses (sucks for outdoorsmen and athletes).

No problems since and continues to be the best money I ever spent. Period.

02-May-16
Count me the odd guy out. Wanted to escape using glasses so decided to get mono-vision as it was described I would be able to see both near and far without glasses. Before Lasik I could see perfect up close and "fuzzy" at any distance beyond about 3', progressively worse the farther away an object was from me. Anyway, now, the best way I could describe my vision both near and far is "mediocre" throughout the spectrum...neither horseshit or clear as a bell at any distance, just simply "ok", "tolerable", and better than glasses. No problem with dry eye but I must admit I was expecting much clearer distant vision than what I ended up with. Peripheral and night vision are not what they were prior, but once again I would describe them as simply "adequate". It's almost as if the non-dominant eye brings the distance (dominant eye) vision down and limits what I would define as perfect crisp vision. Doctor says it takes getting used to but it's been 3 months...leaving me wondering if I should get the other eye done and atleast have perfect distant vision, using cheaters for the up-close work.

Surgery takes 1/5 the time it took me to type this:)

02-May-16
12yard, I see my pins good enough. Not the best focus but more than sufficient to see the lit end of it and know exactly where it's positioned on the target.

In CO, electronically lighted pins are not legal to hunt with so I don't do it for target practice either.

As others have commented, having my vision corrected was one of the best decisions and money I've spent. Has made hunting and general outdoor activities so much more enjoyable these last 14 years.

I was going to need reading glasses anyway so I'm not counting needing them as a compromise to having my eyes corrected. My brothers and sister (2 older and 2 younger) all need reading glasses and they've not had their eyes corrected like I did.

Andy

02-May-16
I had it done 16 years ago and it's still the best investment I ever have done. Just had my eyes checked the other day for new drivers license and still read 20/20.

02-May-16
I also had it done almost 16 yrs. ago to this date. Best money I ever spent as far as not having to deal with contacts and glasses. Still 20/20, nothing even for reading. When I had it done I was 31 yrs old, and they said I would need reading glasses in about 10 yrs. So far so good, no reading glasses.

02-May-16
South Farm - what you describe is exactly the way my lasik doctor said it would turn out if I went with mono. She strongly recommended that I just get the distance vision corrected and then use reading glasses.

elkstabber - all the lasik centers around me offer a free eye check and consultation. Sign up for one of those and have a list of questions ready. My place had a very soft-sell approach.

The actual procedure is fascinating. I have never done drugs, but the light show you see when they cut a flap in your cornea and flip it up must be something like hallucinogenic mushrooms. No pain.

02-May-16
15 years and counting. I am now 47 and see better than 20/20 in both eyes. No problem with dry eye and really can't remember any issues at night from the start.

I know people that have had split vision done and have been mediocre for close and far. I will just get reading glasses if and when the time comes.

02-May-16
Good point to bring up guys. Although I need reading glasses, I passed the eye test at the license branch just fine not requiring eye correction stipulation to drive. Simply reading correction everyone in my family needs post 45 yo.

02-May-16
Oh yeah, that reminds me! For you guys that have CDL driver's licenses...my eye doctor told me not to use glasses, thus the whole reason for Lasik in the first place, but without them I could not pass the eye exam...as soon as they say close your right eye everything goes fuzzy....so the doctor says I gotta wear glasses when driving and they have to indicate that on my license. Damned if I do damned if I don't! Something to consider..

03-May-16
15 years this month and still 20/20... Also just tested perfect for farsightedness. Best money I ever spent!

03-May-16
My wife had lasik when she was 18, now she's 33 and has been wearing glasses again for the past 5 years. Apparently you should wait until you're through your 20s to have it as your eyes are still changing...

03-May-16
15 years this month and still 20/20... Also just tested perfect for farsightedness. Best money I ever spent!

03-May-16
I am 60 and 17 years since initial correction for astigmatism and nearsighted had slow creep from 20/20 back to 20/40 or so. Had right ( shooting eye) redone 6 years later and initially 20/20. Now 20/30 in right. As I was nearly blind before I am happy with result despite some loss of correction. Still best money I ever spent. I usually need reading glasses, some issues with low light and use soft contacts when I need 20/20 vision. Contacts are very comfortable and much thinner than before correction. Sight pins not as sharp as I would like but I see the target clearly. Make sure your surgeon has significant experience and ask them about complications, especially corneal loss.

03-May-16
yes glidingindian, or corneal erosion. thats what I have now, seems I see the Ophthalmologist every couple of months. Headed there tomorrow and not by choice, I thought I was doing good for a change.

04-May-16
I've been wearing contacts since 1977. They work great for me. But I would really love to get this done. I'm 53 now and my up close vision is gone anyways. Will I lose more up close vision? Or will it stay about like it is?

04-May-16
It will stay the way it is "with" contacts in, assuming you are only correcting the distance at this time.

If you are using Multifocal contacts, in which the goal is to find adequate near and distance vision, it will be worse post LASIK.

04-May-16
12yards - my short vision actually improved after lasik (not enough to quit using reading glasses though). My surgeon said this was because the brain wasn't trying to compensate between bad short and distance vision. I don't know if this is true, but my prescription doesn't lie.

04-May-16
Great to know! Thanks Amoebus!

• Sitka Gear