ASCTLC 05-May-16
Chasewild 05-May-16
ASCTLC 05-May-16
Chasewild 25-May-16
JordanMOFLCO 25-May-16
snapcrackpop 25-May-16
flyingbrass 25-May-16
30-Apr-16
thanks guys, found a spike tent. Now help me out with a lightweight sleeping bag. Needs to be warm, not to heavy. Don't care for the mummy style, but may have to. For spike camp only, have a good bag for base camp but its to heavy

30-Apr-16
I bought the western-mountaineering badger gws and like it a lot. Its a mummy bag but wider than most.

30-Apr-16
I have the Western Mountaineering Sequoia 5 degree bag. Roomy and lightweight.

30-Apr-16
The WM Badger would be my choice if money was no object. I found a great deal on a Marmot Helium....I believe it was on Backcountry.com

30-Apr-16
I've been using a North Face Cats Meow that I got off EBAY for $50.00, not the lightest but packs good and has plenty of room for me. I'm kinda big guy 6'0 220 and it fits me good.

30-Apr-16
I have a Big Agnes Mystic 15 (Down). Been using it for about 4 years now and really like it. Fill seems to stay in baffles well too. It's spec'd at 2.5 lbs.

30-Apr-16
I have a Big Agnes Farwell 0 degree synthetic. Love it. specs @ 4lb 8oz

Along with that I use a Big Agnes Insulated Core air pad. specs @ 21oz

For cold weather conditions I also use a cut to fit blue foam pad that I slip in the sleeve along with the air pad.

I do not, or will not get cold

30-Apr-16
If you or your wife can sew, the Climashied Apex 5 ounce/sq yd insulation for a 15 degree bag will cost you $35. The 1.1 coated nylon will cost you $20. A good zipper will cost you $5. 3 yards of gross grain is about 60 cents. $60 and a hour and a half, you got a 2 pound, WARM bag made to your dimensions. Or, buy the stuff and pay a seamstress $40 to sew it.

5 yards of insulation, 5 yards of fabric. You'll only use about 4.2 of each. Materials weigh in at roughly 30 ounces for a full size bag. That's less than 2 pounds. That's less than commercial offerings due to the nylon. Commercial bags use heavier shells to cover the wide base use that comes from different users. However, the 1.1 nylon works just fine. No more narrow foot beds of the mummy bags if you don't want it.

This insulation doesn't have to be baffled either. Pin it to the shell and sew the edges. Done. Compresses almost as small as down. It doesn't get damaged by compression. Heats when wet too. Dries fast also. This Synthetic is top notch and AFFORDABLE when you do it yourself. God Bless

30-Apr-16
For lightweight, packable and relatively inexpensive bags, Big Agnes is tough to beat. There temp. ratings are a bit off, but as long as you know that going in, these bags cannot be beat IMO.

Sure WM bags are awesome, (I too have a Sequoia) but they aren't nearly as packable, heavier and cost three times as much. I use WM late season, but would never get rid of my BA bags for early season. I like their down-tek bags. Own three of them along with the WM Sequoia and a Kifaru Slick Bag.

30-Apr-16

PistolPete's Link
Lightweight is relative. To me, an ultralight backpack hunter, anything 2+ lbs is an anchor. I use a 30 degree down bag that weighs 24 oz. However, if you're looking for the best deal on a great ultralight bag (actually a quilt), buy the 20 degree quilt on Massdrop right now. Weighs 20 oz and costs $200.

30-Apr-16
WV Mountaineer, where can I get the Climashield Apex 5 for $7 per yard?

30-Apr-16
PM sent.

30-Apr-16
Aspen ghost, your request prompted a new search at the site I referenced. My apologies to everyone. The price is $10.95 a yard for 5.0. $7 a yard for 3.6 God Bless

30-Apr-16
Another Big Agnes Mystic 15 user here. Not a mummy bag. It has no bottom as traditional bags do. It has a sleeve on the bottom that ur sleeping pad goes into. As some above stated I use the Big Agnes Insulated Core air pad also. Go to you tube and see how the sleeve works.. You can't slide off the pad with this system.. Over 30 years of backpacking, this system works the best for me. I get the best night sleep with it. I only blow up the pad, say half to a little more. If blown up all the way it's to hard for me. The coldest I ever slept was 18 and I was a little cold. But say 25 degrees and up I've been good..

ED

30-Apr-16
One thing to keep in mind is what elevation and state are you hunting. It often snows in Colo, Wyo, Montana, etc in Sept. Also, are you usually warm or cold blooded? I use a 0 degree bag when I hunt elk in Sept at higher elevations in the mountain states. It's possible to wear more layers to bed..which I often do with my 0 degree bag!

Another consideration is down vs synthetic. Most down doesn't dry when wet but if you hunt relatively dry areas and keep your bag in a dry bag you it may work fine. Down is super nice because it is super light and compact. Some down bags have water resistant outers.

You usually pay for what you get with sleeping bags. It's pretty tough to beat WM. I've used a Marmot down bag with a water resistant outer for years and had great results. I've brought it on several trips to Alaska and use it in Colo, Wyo, and other Western states every year.

30-Apr-16
That quilt on massdrop is a steal. Paid well over $300 for mine and I'm not looking to ever go back to a sleeping bag. This is far more comfortable. Plenty warm and easy to throw off or kick out a leg if it is too warm.

30-Apr-16
Tom what temp rating are you looking at? This would help in suggestions on bags.

30-Apr-16
+1 jims. As usual, your mountain experience is valuable.

I, too, use a 0 bag in September. That means a real "15-20" bag for most people, and at elevation in CO it isn't unusual to have sub-20 mornings.

I also have a Marmot 15 and it's fine for summer backpacking and scouting at 10K+, but I've been cold in it in September, which is why I invested in a 0.

My philosophy is that a well-rested hunter is a better hunter. I endure a few pounds for a good tent, pad, and bag and cut back elsewhere.

30-Apr-16
Western Mountainerring

30-Apr-16
Feathered Friends have some great down quilt bags. Light weight.

01-May-16
+1 trophyhill on Feathered Friends 0 bag. Going on my 5th year and never been cold in it. Lightest-warmest I have owned.

01-May-16
I went with a enlightened equipment quilt. Zero degree treated down. Didn't know how I'd like one, but the reviews were impressive. It's 21oz and it's by far my favorite sleep system I've ever used! So comfortable and versatile and LIGHT!! Have used it well below freezing and it seems to be warmer than my -20 north face bags. I use it for all my hunts now except kodiak island where it's just a much damper environment. What ever it's worth that's about a dozen big hunts a year in my quilt.

01-May-16
I went with a enlightened equipment quilt. Zero degree treated down. Didn't know how I'd like one, but the reviews were impressive. It's 21oz and it's by far my favorite sleep system I've ever used! So comfortable and versatile and LIGHT!! Have used it well below freezing and it seems to be warmer than my -20 north face bags. I use it for all my hunts now except kodiak island where it's just a much damper environment. What ever it's worth that's about a dozen big hunts a year in my quilt.

01-May-16

01-May-16

01-May-16
Keep in mind that if you store your bag stuffed for long periods, it loses some capability. I use 0 degree bags, leave them stuffed most of the year due to space and laziness, and they are probably equal to a 10 or 15 deg bag.

01-May-16

01-May-16

01-May-16
My Big Agnes and Q Core pad aren't light, but damn are they comfortable! I probably won't ever do down, but someday I would like to try one of the Kifaru Center Zip bags, they are light and durable!

01-May-16
As oldgoat mentioned above, a pad sure helps! I use a Neoair. It is super light and compact...and I sleep like a baby! Ounces start adding up so you may want to check weights before making a purchase.

01-May-16
I am looking at most suggestions, and I check the temp rating and the weight of each of them. Wow some of these I have never heard of, its nice to have options, thanks everyone

01-May-16
A couple more ozs/lbs are definitely worth the weight for me.

Plus, the OP wanted lightweight, not ultra light

01-May-16
The Western Mountaineering bags are great.I have a Kodiak that is a mummy but is very full cut and though I had decided I couldn't do mummies anymore,this one changed my mind.It is very comfortable,weighs 2 lb 12 oz and is rated to 0 degrees.

Keep in mind too,that temperature ratings are subjective.Western Mountaineering's ratings are conservative compared to many.I don't sleep that warm but I wouldn't be afraid to stay stay out in this bag at 0.It's really too warm for September hunts in the mountains.

Western has both roomy mummies as well as semi-rectangular bags.If I get another one for Fall bowhunts,it will be either a semi-rectangular Sycamore or an Alpinlite which is a fairly roomy mummy.Both are 2 lb bags.Good luck with your choices.

01-May-16
I'm a big guy and hate mummy bags...but love the stretch bags from Montbell...in syn and down- I have both. Super comfortable and true to their rating

01-May-16
I just picked up a mountain hardwear llano 0 degree. I found it on Google shop for $125 for an originally priced $225 bag. Synthetic I believe it weighs about 3 lbs or so

01-May-16
I might be willing to part with a Montbell UL SS #3, stretchy 30-degree, 24-ounce bag at a good price. They are the best sleeping bags available for September elk IMO. If interested send me a PM.

01-May-16
I'd look at synthetic bags. Much less can go wrong with them as opposed to down. The Kifaru Slick would be a great option.

01-May-16
Wanted to add something to my earlier post for anybody other than the OP that might be reading this for info,me and my wife are in are fifties and she's getting arthritic, I joke that she's the person that the child's fairy tale The Princess and the Pea was based on. She was able to sleep multiple days on the ground in the Big Agnes and cover serious terrain all day and was comfortable, sucked standing up off the ground first thing in the morning and in the night but she was comfortable, also for anybody that hunts with a significant other, you can attach the BA bags together if you buy left and right zip bags I was thoroughly impressed, I do wish they were lighter though!

01-May-16
My wife bought me a Kuiu 15* bag last year, it's pretty darn light. I used it on a November deer hunt and got cold in low-teen temps, but a few extra layers got me through the night.

01-May-16
Gritty Bowmen podcast, Aron talks about sleeping bags.

03-May-16
By a quilt. I have a Katabatic made in Colorado. Rivals the quality of WM and Feathered Friends. I've owned them too. Quilts don't feel so confining to me.

04-May-16
I've been watching this thread closely as I'm in the market for a new bag as well.

I've used the Mountain Hardware phantom 32 (just under a pound) for the last 10 years. On warm nights, it was perfect, on cold nights I slept in my puffy.

But on wet nights...or when I hadn't managed the dew point...I was totally miserable.

The down compressed immediately and by morning, I was shaking, or just tired.

I bought a water treated down jacket to determine if it would be worth while buying a treated down sleeping bag. And, to be honest, the treated down just does not hold up for the length of time that you'd be spending in a wet bag (i.e. a full night...more than an hour or two).

So, I've committed to buying an ultralight synthetic bag. Previously, this was somewhat of a misnomer as ultralight synthetics were hard pressed to fall below two pounds.

I just bought a 23 degree Mammut for less than $200 that weighs 1 pound 15 oz. In my opinion, synthetic provides the best balance between confidence, warmth, and weight.

04-May-16
I have it in my will to be buried in my WM Badger...... cold in that ground I hear.... my kids are pushing for cremations... I'm thinkin' cuz they want my bag....

With most backpacking gear... all else being equal in performance, money buys you less weight/bulk. Jims nailed a bunch of it.... some depends on are you a hot of cold sleeper. My thermostat is set higher than most, I'm always traveling from 80's tropics to fall mountains, usually in a matter of hours. Body is still set on dealing with heat, not staying warm.

Temp ratings are normally set by salesmen, not the designers. Like with many things, people spec hunt. Sales fudge the specs to compete better. WM is one of the few that IMO use a true "comfort" rating and not "survivable" ratings. I've been toasty warm at 17 in my 15 bag. If looking at other bags a person should consider that.

If I were in constantly wet conditions such as much of AK then I'd consider a synthetic bag. They have come a long way the last few years. But then so has bag cover material. Been in a few spots were it rained for several days.... left the down bag in a drip zone once during the day, but the bag came out of it just fine.

Also don't forget... it's called a sleep system. A good quality pad makes a huge difference. One of the neat things about big aggie is how their pad integrates with their bags in a sleeve.

04-May-16

Teeton's Link
I think this may help some understand sleeping bag temp rate and lingo..

Link

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/camping-gear/sleeping-bag-temperature-ratings.php

Ed

04-May-16

Teeton's Link
One more link on EN temperature rating..

http://www.backcountry.com/explore/warmth-to-the-wise-temperature-ratings-for-sleeping-bags-decoded

05-May-16
Some of you guys have great equipment, no doubt, but some of us are on a budget that just won't stretch that far.

I tend to sleep about 10 to 15 degrees colder than a decent quality bag's temp rating. But carrying too much weight with too much bag is not a pleasure either.

I've learned that on the colder nights to drink a cup of hot water before turning in. No tea, hot chocolate, etc, just water. Being cold is enough to have me constantly peeing through the night and caffine/sugar exacerbates that. Just a cup of hot water is all it takes without waking constantly.

I believe this helps because I don't start out in my bag at a temp deficit that rarely catches up through the night. By starting out warmer on my inside I don't chase warmth as my body slows down sleeping.

Give it a try sometime, you might just find your nice light bag is nicer than you thought.

Andy

05-May-16
Andy -- that's a good tactic. Assuming I haven't just downed a warm freeze-dried, I'll warm up oatmeal to get my belly warm.

As for the Western Mountaineer stuff -- its great gear no doubt. But $500-800 is not something I'm ready to spend on a peace of gear that will fail if wet when I can spend a fraction of that and get a peace of gear that won't (or will to a lesser extent).

I would also emphasize getting a good pad. You loose 30% of your body heat through the ground and a good pad has really helped (saved?) me in the past. I've used exped for a while now and their customer service is right up there with vortex.

A nice pad gives you the option of getting a lighter bag.

05-May-16
I splurge big time on a luxury (and heavier) Thermarest Luxury series full size pad. That's my major splurge at the expense of other stuff! It's with that I'm 10-15 degrees colder than bag rating, which is a Mountain Hardwear Galaxy 15* bag.

25-May-16
I wanted to update my earlier post -- went out this weekend with the Mountain Hardware Spark (synthetic insulation and 1lb 10oz). It's rated to lower limit of 32 degrees so I thought it would be a perfect fall bag.

The temp on Friday night dipped to about MAYBE 35-40 degrees. I slept with socks and briefs on and I froze my ass off until I said screw it and put my pants and a shirt on.

I was not impressed. I was hoping I found the perfect lightweight synthetic option, but now I'm back looking for something similar since the Mammut I was looking for is not available.

Anyway, just an update.

25-May-16
I love my Marmot Helium bag......

25-May-16
INSULATED pad. Search REI site to compare price, thickness & R-value.

25-May-16
Western Mountainerring

• Sitka Gear