Tracker12 01-May-16
jims 01-May-16
Tracker12 01-May-16
tneyehunter 11-May-16
Joemn 11-May-16
air leak 15-May-16
Tracker12 15-May-16
01-May-16
We were projected 100% rain this morning. I was going to pass on the day but had roosted a couple birds back behind the house. I figured wth the rain they would be a little late to get off the roost. Boy was I wrong. It was still pretty dark when they came out of the tree gobbling and headed straight away from me. There was a steady rain but they just talked all the way out the ridge. I was expecting to set up and get them coming in quiet. Wrong.

01-May-16
Sounds like you were close! I've been waiting it out for blue bird weather here in Colo. You were smart to get out and give it a try.

01-May-16
Just when I think I have a good plan turkeys act like turkeys and do what he want. There killing me this year. I had one last Saturday at 18 yards strutting away pace back and forth. Figured he would move towards the decoys and I would have a sim dunk shot. He came out of the strut and walked over the hill and was history.

11-May-16
Hunting turkeys in the rain can be very good especially if you have some fields with cattle in them. They scratch the cow piles for worms and grain. It is good to take a hen & a jake decoy and put them out about 35-40 yds. Then just call some but also look for birds away from you with your binoculars and see which way they are heading and get there before they do. Also stay out there late last wed I was loading my stuff into my turkey vest when one gobbled at 10:46 am. He wouldn't gobble to my crystal madd call so I tried my box call and he went crazy cutting me off as I called. So at 11:17 he finally came up and saw my jake decoy when a load of #6 shot federal 2 1/4 oz hit him. That bird flopped all the way to the bottom of the valley & I like to never got back up the thing. You can get a box call that works wet or just take a small brown trash bag and use it that way. And remember there is one thing about turkeys that is predictable & that is They ARE UNPREDICTABLE!! Been hunting those birds for over 40 years. Yep once you get turkey fever its there for life 99% of people who hunt them. Have a great time and TAKE Someone if you can because you are making MEMORIES NOT JUST HUNTING !! Thanks D T from East TN. Eph.3:20 1st. Kings 21:3

11-May-16
I agree rain and Turkey hunting is great as long as the wind isn't blowing. Can't beat a cool rainy dead calm morning.

15-May-16
I don't hunt with a pop up blind, which offers protection from a hard steady rain.

So, I don't hunt when there is a hard, steady rain..even with my Gore Tex bibs and jacket, a few hours in this and I can feel the rain soaking in.

Having said that, I will hunt when there is a foggy, light mist or drizzle.

This is a great time to be hunting.

The rain itself doesn't effect the birds, it just makes it uncomfortable to sit for hours at a time.

And FWIW..I use my 870 with 2 oz of # 4 shot.

I love bow hunting deer, but love using my shotgun for turkeys.

15-May-16
My season would end to soon with the shotgun. I stick with the bow these days.

• Sitka Gear