carcus 06-May-16
txhunter58 06-May-16
TODDY 06-May-16
LKH 10-May-16
Kurt 23-Jun-20
Frank Sanders 25-Jun-20
EMB 25-Jun-20
01-May-16
These tents are on sale, and you can't buy a better tent for the money. I have had my 6 man for 20 years and it is still usable, but is finally showing some wear. I think I got my money out of it! As a 6 ft guy, I can stand up in the tent, which is always nice. I have spent many a rainy night with high winds, and it has always stood up well. I remember one particularly howling storm in Colorado where the next day my family exited our completely dry tent to see most other people trying to dry out their sleeping bags, etc. At this price, it is a great buy:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/top-deals/camping%7C/pc/105625080/c/905214780/sc/580933980/cabela-s-alaskan-guide-174-geodesic-tent-with-fiberglass-poles-150-6-person/1546762.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D580933980

No, this is not a backpacking tent, but when you can drive to the area you hunt, or for family campouts, you can't beat this one. Just right for 4 guys and gear.

01-May-16
This is a great tent. I have a 6 man With the smaller vestibule. and a 3 man version I don't believe they make anymore.

Once we had a big family camping trip on a WY lake. A monster storm came in and all the other tents ripped, poles snapped, were wrecked. The Guide tent stood like the Rock of Gibraltar. Cabelas sold three more of them that week when we got home.

01-May-16
That is a great tent. God Bless

01-May-16
I have the 8 man and like it. Not light but it is a great tent and very solid. Good basecamp tent. TODDY

02-May-16
Does anyone have the 4 person version? Curious to if a cot will fit comfortably.

02-May-16
I've had the 4 person tent for about 20 years. Last year I upgraded the rain fly with the vestibule. I've had it on many adventures and would recommend it to anyone. It would fit one full size cot comfortably and maybe two smaller cots, not as comfortably. Ed

02-May-16
Difficult for 1 man to set up by himself, but doable and the tent is bullet proof weather wise. Had the 6 man for around 15 years before I donated it to the Girl Scouts...

02-May-16
I still have my AK Guide 6 man and I bought it in the 90's.....and am certain the Girl Scouts still have the one MT donated as it's in my basement.

The Girl Scouts are all in their mid 20's now Mark....

02-May-16
I have the six man, used it a few times. Can be a little difficult the first time setting it up in the dark but gets easier the next time. It's an awesome tent though, plenty of room and like the others have stated very weatherproof. glad txhunter58 started this thread I bought a cabelas cot pad on sale I have been wanting for a while.

Gabe

04-May-16
The Girl Scouts are in their 20's now? Damn, I'm getting old...8^)

04-May-16
I too have the 6 man tent with small vestibule, I've owned it for over 25 years. We have packed it into the back country too many time to count via horse back. Two hunters in the back country, this is a great base camp tent.

04-May-16

Big John's embedded Photo
Big John's embedded Photo
Colorado Back Country 2002, Love this tent!!!

04-May-16
I've got one too.

My advice, DONT get the fiberglass poles....spend the extra couple bucks to get Aluminum especially if you are using it in a high wind area

05-May-16
I have the same tent basically, the XWT and it has been super. It's the 6 man and it is comfortable for 3 and has nice storage in the front and rear vestibules. It's been in some tough thunderstorms and hasn't waivered. I am more than satisfied with it.

05-May-16
I've setup and taken down my 6-man Alaska Guide by myself about 10 times - no problem. It's a great tent!

06-May-16
Love mine and they can withstand a hurricane!

06-May-16
Of course I ordered mine before I posted this. :-)

The aluminum poles are $200 more, so I have always done OK with the fiberglass ones.

06-May-16
I bought my 8 man with the fiberglass poles. Have held up well. Also, for $150 more, I have the option to buy the aluminum poles. That's two sets of poles for the same price as one. TODDY

10-May-16
I finally wore the zippers out on an 8 man a couple years back. By that time several poles had been broken and the fly had started to leak. Not worth repairing but since I bought it at a garage sale for $125 it had paid for itself.

It's normally not worth the money to buy the AL poles unless you are flying in and weight limited.

We used to put 3 guys per tent with army cots. Suitcases under the beds kept the middle open and uncluttered. Had a 10# propane bottle with pole and double mantle lantern. Heated the tent pretty well.

23-Jun-20
We are on our second 8-man tent. Wore the first one out from UV at high altitude after many years. We prefer the 8-man, whether for 2 people or for up to 4. Its only about a 7 or 8 pound weight penalty and $50 more versus the 6-man.

We prefer the aluminum poles, and like Jaq said, ours too was the only tent standing after a nasty windstorm up in WY at Glendo Reservoir, all the other tents on the east side that we saw were flattened.

We have the old style large vestibule that looks like a Conestoga wagon. We added a zippered cooking port over where the Coleman stove sits to vent steam out....works pretty well.

Ours gets used less in BC for family camping due to my wife's aversion to tents in heavily occupied bear country versus our truck camper. However it still gets set-up a few weeks on fly-in or quad-in hunts every fall.

25-Jun-20
They used to have a lifetime warranty. Bought an extra 4 man as one of my moose hunters last year said he snored and asked for his own tent. The cashier asked if I wanted to buy a warranty, I asked why if they’re guaranteed for life.......? Not anymore, 30 days and a 3 year warranty is 150.

25-Jun-20
I have the 4 man version. Great tent. It does not fit a full size cot well, and I was not able to use the standard cot I already had. If you're going to use a cot, it needs to be a low version. I went with a twin size blow-up mattress instead. It will fit 2 of those nicely. Gear for 2 hunters, questionable. But, I've never been accused of packing light.

• Sitka Gear