sitO 08-May-16
Jeff Durnell 08-May-16
stick n string 08-May-16
bud 08-May-16
WV Mountaineer 08-May-16
Knife2sharp 08-May-16
stick n string 08-May-16
08-May-16
Just a random question that i figured i could get an answer to here. Ive noticed it before but never really thought about it much, until this time for some reason. When i butcher my turkey, i take the drumsticks/thighs off and then i take the breasts off the breast plate. To me, the breasts are always pretty soft with not much firmness to them.(yeah, i know there are a million jokes in this and i like to laugh, so tho it wasnt the intention of the thread, feel free to cut loose) I know when u cook them up, it firms up and is no different than any other meat. Are there any tricks to firm it up before vacuum sealing it, which is what i do? Doesnt really matter i guess, was just wondering if there is something i could do shy of throwing it in the freezer for a lil bit before sealing to get a firmer feel to the meat. Thanks in advance for any help....

08-May-16
24hrs in brine/salt water in the fridge.

08-May-16
Why does it need to be more firm? Is there a problem specific to vacuum sealing?

08-May-16
No, itll still vacuum seal ok. I think i would just prefer it to be more firm than sorta gelatin like? Just a preference i reckon, to get it to being firmer if possible.

08-May-16
What sit0 said. Works good on trout too. I live in wy these trout seem somewhat soft to me.Grew up in South East ky my granny soaked all squirrel and rabbits in heavy salt water. Guess I got in the habit from her.

08-May-16
Yep. SitO nailed it. God Bless

08-May-16
Put them in the freezer for an hour or so, then vacuum seal. But what I do is put them in a plastic colander, then the colander in a big plastic bowl, then put a plastic bag over the whole thing. This allows the breasts to drain and cool overnight and the meat firms up a bit too. I then vacuum seal them the following day. The bag keeps the surface of the meat from drying out. I also pat them dry with paper towels to remove any residule moisture, that way you don't get liquid sucked up into the sealer.

08-May-16
Thnx guys

• Sitka Gear