Ambush 14-May-16
Bou'bound 15-May-16
Bill Obeid 15-May-16
glunker 11-Jun-16
Shug 11-Jun-16
Shug 11-Jun-16
13-May-16

brettpsu's Link
I couldn't imagine what it takes to run a business this size. No wonder sheep hunts cost so much.

13-May-16

brettpsu's Link

13-May-16
Dang it! Not sure why the correct page isn't linking. Maybe a tech person could help this dummy out and link the proper one.

Anyway Mccowans has a northern BC hunting territory listed for $7.5 million. Tons of sheep, grizz, moose, caribou and goat tags available though. Never seen a piece sold with this high number of sheep tags.

13-May-16

Ace's Link
Try this link

13-May-16
Thanks Ace

13-May-16
Kyle has that kind of scratch in his couch cushions. I bet he's going to snatch this up. Although Pat might beat him to it. Just imagine how wealthy he's gotten providing this free service to us all!

"Bowsite Hunts" (Archery only concession), has a nice ring to it. They better put in Wifi so we can all get live hunts.

Oh wait, I forgot about Jake, I bet he's already put in an offer ... "Golden Horseshoe Hunts". Done deal! or Tom Foss, (he's Canadian, might have the inside scoop) he probably got more than enough cash from that book deal and movie rights he's sure to sell. Tom I hear that you nixed Brad Pitt for the role, good move, too wimpy. You should probably play yourself! He's sure to name it something straightforward: like "Foss Hunts" his tag line will be something special though: I suggest: "Leave the damn rifle at home!" :-)

13-May-16
Ace,

I wish! lol

FYI, a couple of months ago. Pat asked me to write an Bowsite Feature article on the various ways a guy might be able to afford a sheep hunt. He told me a couple of days ago he expects to run it soon, probably starting next week.

14-May-16
Theres a good reason to play the lotto tonight. Wow

14-May-16
For those who are interested in making an offer, don't forget, they're asking $7.5 million, but that's' Canadian. It's only $5.775 million US! ;^)

14-May-16
Then figure on another $100k a year to keep that 1947 airplane in the air.

I've hunted closeby on the Stikine river....amazing country. Seems to me some of those concessions were selling for $300k just 15 years ago.

14-May-16
If I would have a financial windfall (say $50 million plus on the lottery), I'd buy it, move there and all my buddies could use it as they see fit and they would just need to cover their costs and not worry about paying extra to cover the profit. Yeah, it would be a loosing venture, but who cares. This way the windfall is spread out and enjoyed by many.

14-May-16
Don't forget that that price is based on the number of tags available to the territory and NOT the actual number of animals that may be there. Allocations have been grossly inflated over the years and there is going to be a re-alignment.

Somebody could take a beating at that listed price.

14-May-16
I'm confused

is this sale for hunting rights or the land?

3,000 sq miles!?! $7,500,000?

I'm in for just a hundred thousand acres at that price...

14-May-16
459 DEEDED acres. The rest is a hunting concession. If I'm correct concessions are leased from the Crown Government, much like outfitters in the states pay for National forest rights which are not exclusive. Residents may still hunt there if they have a plane or horses. Throw in insurance, Canadian income tax and there is a LOT of overhead.

14-May-16
He's selling the outfit. That would include his hunting area, the deeded acres, the buildings, the stock (usually) and the permits, which are tied to the concession. It might also include any aircraft, but I haven't reviewed the write up.

14-May-16
read description again...didn't see any terms of the lease

how many years will $7.5m get ya?

14-May-16
itshot,

As long as you run an ethical, law-abiding operation and pay your annual concession fees to the province, it's yours for as long as you want.

14-May-16
You are buying the exclusive right to guide non-resident hunters in that territory. Residents can still hunt there. But access is usual a problem.

14-May-16
Stone sheep hunts are about $40,000 so figure that in there also

14-May-16
flyingbrass quote, "Stone sheep hunts are about $40,000 so figure that in there also."

That's what you are paying for and what gives the business it's value. But, like I said above, the "inventory" may not be very realistic or sustainable.

15-May-16
if he clears 10K PROFIT on each hunt on average he could make his money back on about 750 hunts. how many a year does he run do you know?

15-May-16
I imagine if you have $ 7.5 mil , you're probably already a good businessman . This is big business , so you'd better be , now if you're a top notched outfitter you have the biggest hurdles jumped.

I can just imagine the logistics of scheduling and moving hunters and fishermen in and out of multiple remote locations in all types of weather. With constant servicing of motors and engines that move them there.

I would think finding trophy game animals is one of the easier challenges of running an operation like this. I would love to meet the present owners... I have a feeling the 7.5$ means little to them. I also have a feeling they earned every penny.

11-Jun-16
Often someone that has a concession for a long time builds it up over time but not making alot of money. Their pay day is selling a concession for 3-15 times what their initial cost was. It in effect becomes their retirement IRA. Then the new owner has to raise hunt prices to get a return. At this price there is risk.

11-Jun-16
Also...that price is in Canadian which is about $300,000 us..aT today's rate...lol

11-Jun-16
Also...that price is in Canadian which is about $300,000 us..aT today's rate...lol

• Sitka Gear