drycreek 28-Jun-16
nutritionist 28-Jun-16
drycreek 28-Jun-16
r-man 29-Jun-16
gundog 29-Jun-16
drycreek 29-Jun-16
nutritionist 01-Jul-16
14-May-16
I dont normally start a topic about any 1 particular product but here goes...

I always offer experimental mixes for 1-2 years before release to the public to field staff members and grandpa ray outdoors program members. All bowsite members get 10% off of anything they buy from me. There are a number of you on here who are G.R.O program members and offered this product. I decided to offer all of this this product 1 year before release and it's called FAST GRO

Fast Gro is a warm season mix that contains sunn hemp, buckwheat and sorghum. It is designed to fixate nitrogen (from the sunn hemp), smother weeds, give bees food, suppress weeds and give some really fast growing palatable feed for the deer (sunn hemp). I attached a picture of the sunn hemp. This mix i planted last year and the deer went wild for it. Sunn hemp can get to be 6' tall in 60 days and if the deer eat it right down to near the ground, it is one of the few forages that can handle close grazing pressures. The sorghum the deer will not eat but i have it in the mix to keep at least something on the ground to help suppress weeds and build up soil organic matter when you kill it off or til it down. Buckwheat is a great pollinator.

It doesnt need much rain, it handles a lot of heat and needs heat. It would die if there is a killing frost on it so we don;t want to plant it early in the north.

Fast Gro Sunn Hemp 50% sorghum 25% Buckwheat 25% g

$2.15/lb $43 per acre Planting dates: Once the soil hits 60 degrees and no threat of frost Planting depth: ½”

so any of you who want a solution to warm season food plotting. This mix will take you to the fall and then come back and plant/overseed your fall mixes.

to order [email protected] 608-235-0628 m-f 8 am-5 pm cst

03-Jun-16
I'm hoping to get my two plots of Fast Gro seeded this weekend. We're finally scheduled to get some rain by Sunday so I want to get it in before the rain or I'll be delayed yet another week.

I'll try to document my process/progress here. The deer are already hitting my clover big time so I'm very interested to see how this will impact their interest in the clover.

Howard

05-Jun-16
Deer and deer hunting magazine posted an article on Sunn hemp recently and my phones been abuzz asking me questions on it.

I planted sunn hemp last year and this resulted in this experimental mix. Deer love it and yet why i sell it in cover crop seed and deer mixes is the ability to grow 6' tall in 8 weeks and it's ability to fixate 100 units of nitrogen. WIN-WIN

08-Jun-16
John: Do you advocate plowing this under in the fall to plant brassica, etc. I have a couple of plots that we just cleared and I need to build the soil. This sounds like it might just be what I need.

08-Jun-16
Yes, this is a 60 day mix to build soil, smother weeds, fixate nitrogen and provide some forage for deer. I hate seeing ground bare and this is a mix to take u to the fall.

My goals are to fixate nitrogen or scavenge nutrients once during the year. Add organic matter once during the year and to provide highly productive forages as many days a year as possible.

I'll have some pictures of this mix coming soon from field staff and program members.

15-Jun-16

gundog's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

I finally was able to get my Fast Gro plots planted last weekend in the heart of Michigan's Thumb. 2 Plots: #3 is a remote corner of the property along a natural drain & N/S travel corridor. It's low, stays wet well into the spring and is heavy clay. #4 is my 'high ground' is very sandy, is adjacent to 1/2 acre of switch grass which was mowed/burned this spring and intersects an E/W travel corridor across my property. Here's what my soil tests looked like:

After turning these plots I disked down to as fine a seed bed as I could then rolled them with the culti-packer. I broadcast my seed and 150lbs of 19-19-19 between the two plots which are just under an acre combined. I then packed them again perpendicular to the first packing and seemed to get pretty good coverage of the seed. Now I just need some rain. We've only had about 1/2" of rain in the past 3 weeks.

Howard

15-Jun-16

So here's what they looked like on planting day. I'll follow-up with regular updates to show the progress. Rain in the forecast for today and tomorrow so my hopes are high

15-Jun-16

Couldn't get two pictures to load. The previous picture was Plot #3. This is Plot #4.

15-Jun-16
gundog,

where about are you from? I live in Kingston, MI.

15-Jun-16
What kind of Sorghum is in the mix? I just planted a mix of buckwheat, sorghum sudan, and field peas and am interested to see how your mix compares...

15-Jun-16
Scott, I'm actually not living there yet but I have an Ubly mailing address. I'm about 8 miles east of Cass City.

15-Jun-16
Mike, I'll defer to John on what type of sorghum is in that mix.

16-Jun-16
I see where you are at. really good area. I have some relatives that are around there. My wife is from cass city. looking forward to your plot results.

27-Jun-16

Thought I'd give an update on my Fast Gro plots. I planted on 6/10 and we've had a grand total of <1" of rain since but I'm still getting pretty good germination. Here's how things are looking on 6/26. Plot #3:

27-Jun-16

Plot #4 is coming in but is a bit more sparse. I've always had problems with this particular piece of ground.

27-Jun-16

Here's a close up. The buckwheat was the first up but the sorghum and sun hemp are starting to gain some ground as well.

28-Jun-16

nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Here is my fast grow at 25 days...it's a winner!!

The sorghum is a fast growing photo period sorghum.

28-Jun-16
John, I've always had trouble with planting anything that has a grain seed head. The hogs get in it when the head ripens and destroy it. I've even had it happen to Egyptian wheat that I planted as a screen. I used to plant a product from WINA called Power Plant. Good product ( but expensive ), and I quit using it for that reason. What about a mix without the sorghum ? What could you replace it with ? I would like to try the sunn hemp as well as the buckwheat next spring but I'm at a loss as to what else would be siutable to mix with it. Cowpeas maybe ?

28-Jun-16
my four galore is lablab/foragesoybeans/pod beans/cowpeas

another option is sunn hemp, buckwheat and lablab and/or cowpeas.

Many might not know this but i can custom mix anything.

28-Jun-16
Thanks John, I may try the sunn hemp, buckwheat, cowpea mix next spring.

29-Jun-16
sorghum in my food plot is great this yr, and it gives the beans something to lean against, my mix also had blackoil sunflowers and field peas. I hope the sorghum helps the birds out to.

29-Jun-16
Ok so looking at John's Fast Gro plot, I'm feeling pretty inadequate. Other than the fact that I'm battling August like temperatures and drought like conditions in June John, is there anything I could have done differently for better results? I'm I being too cheap with my fertilizer application? should I have limed? Or am I just being impatient?

29-Jun-16
r-man, when I planted that Power Plant mix, I had all kinds of birds feeding on the sunflowers and sorghum heads. We have no turkeys where I'm at, or quail, but I had every other bird native to East Texas.

01-Jul-16

gundog...here is the secret to healthy and productive ANYTHING...

Healthy soil... proper pH, high organic matter, the correct amount of n-p-k but 81% of you are short on sulfur....sulfur is HUGEEE and no one in the industry talks about it. My clients have been adding extra ams for years and it makes my job easier balancing animal diets.

Next people need to treat soil like your treating those deer. To grow productive forages you need "microbes." I bring up my seed starter and foliar plant foods all the time and for good reason. Your "opening up the soil" You want a lot of worms, beneficial fungii and other living micro organics, just like we want them in animals and even in our guts.

Humics loosen th soil, resulting in higher oxygen levels. Humics help "chelate" the fertilizers you put down as well as help uptake what nutrients exist in the soil. Humics also help reduce water run off and reduce plant diseases and stresses. So, when it's dry....GRANDPA RAY'S thrives.

Everyone focuses on whats above the ground and that's improper thinking. When my education plots were sstunted because of cold temps and no rain, a smart old mentor of mine said to me...John, relax, your growing a powerhouse and they will explode when mother nature helps.

ROOTS are our powerhouse and thats why i put organic growth promoter on all my seed mixes. I am the only company in the US to use totally uncoated seeds that also have organic growth promoters on them. It's why you see my fast grow looking so well. A field staff member has already clipped his SOIL BUILDER mix 3 times this year.

Some of you have seen my 5 foot tall brassicas from a couple years back. It wasn't rocket science why they were that tall and why the deer pounded them 1 day after opening day of gun season. I'm no rocket scientist. This is all basic agronomy.

So again here is my secret to my success proper pH high organic matter levels proper major minerals and sulfur plant growth promoters liquid seed starter foliar plant foods feedings 1-3 times per growing season whoooollaaaaaaa

Here is a picture of the fast grow from a guy in kansas at 30 days.

• Sitka Gear