habu john 15-May-16
Medicinemann 15-May-16
Brotsky 15-May-16
wildwilderness 15-May-16
Medicinemann 15-May-16
Ace 16-May-16
Fuzzy 17-May-16
14-May-16
I was just reading Mike Ukrainetz's thread and he makes mention of bear tracks as it relates to predicting what a bear will square. The old adage about "adding one to the width of the front foot", isn't as accurate as the wives tale would have us believe.

Since there are several threads going on at this very moment about Spring bear hunting, this is the PERFECT opportunity for us to gather our own data, and construct a more accurate method of estimation.

For those bowhunters that are willing to share, if you are fortunate enough to tag a bear, PLEASE feel free to share your animals results here. To really make this a helpful tool, it sure would help if we got bears of all sizes....so please don't fret about where yours compares to others....

I would really appreciate five measurements....

1.) Width of front foot pad in inches

2.) Length of back foot pad (without toes)

3.) Width of bear from tip of left foot (across the back) to tip of right foot.

4.) Length of bear (tip of nose to end of tail)

5.) Squared measurement of bear (#3 + #4 Divided by 2)

6.) Green scored skull measurement

We could quickly improve the accuracy of using track size if our Bowsite bear hunters would be willing to post their data. Large AND small bear measurements will also be extremely helpful....the larger the population sample size (n) is, the more accurate our results will be. I hope everyone that is successful bear hunting this year will consider contributing to this thread.

14-May-16
Great idea Medicinemann. I hope you gather a lot of data on the thread!

14-May-16

14-May-16

14-May-16
There will be exceptions to every rule. I was hoping to gather some information just to find out how accurate (or inaccurate) some of our bias really is....can't do that without input from successful bear hunters.....So far, all we are getting is more opinions....nothing factual.

Remember, we aren't trying to use track size to estimate weight.....and we also realize that there will be variances....we're just trying to get a feel for HOW much of a variance we are dealing with....

14-May-16
I'm in. If I kill a bear this Spring I'll post up all info asked for.

14-May-16
Sorry medicinemann I got of track there.

14-May-16
Jake, I'll post 3 pics after this post. Front paw, back paw, and mud print of a 19" 360ish pound bear. I don't have exact measurements but it gives you an idea and a place to start hopefully.

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Back paw

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Front paw

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Actual track from this bear. Front paw track I think.

15-May-16
".....So far, all we are getting is more opinions....nothing factual."

HELLO HHHEEELLLLOOOOO this is the internet what were you expecting????????? LOL

15-May-16
Great job, 360lbs is a big bear! Do you got any length and width measurements?

15-May-16
The rug is 82" across the front paws and 83" from nose to tail.

15-May-16
I always felt that when looking at a front pad 5.5" or wider it was a good boar that will make P & Y min.

15-May-16
Bou,

I was expecting measurements. That's what I was hoping for....we have a perfectly timed opportunity to gather data....why not try to capitalize on it? So far, we have 16 or 17 posts....and not one sample of the six parameters requested....hopefully that will change soon.

Brotsky,

I believe that is the first time that I ever seen a bear's length to be greater than their "wingspan". Pretty cool. If we could gather more specifics like what you just shared, we might be able to learn some really interesting FACTS.

15-May-16
Jake, I may have those two numbers flip flopped but I don't think so. There was a repair my taxi had to do on one armpit that I think may have shortened the wingspan by a bit so your experience may have been fact on this bear too.

15-May-16
My season doesn't start until June 4th, but hopefully I will have a bear to report on.

15-May-16
Wildwilderness,

I hope that you are right!!

16-May-16
Jake, most of those guys are from Canada, :-) what were you expecting? Here you go:

1 centimeter = 0.393700787 inches or 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters

17-May-16
I have large feet, but my bear was small.

• Sitka Gear