TD 16-May-16
Hawkeye 16-May-16
Hawkeye 16-May-16
Bou'bound 17-May-16
Hawkeye 17-May-16
15-May-16

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Was really weird as this week we noticed a small leak in the basement, a good ways from the mounts and no big deal. Had some guys there that brought some humidifiers in etc, but nothing blowing on the mounts.

In any case, went to check the basement and was dusting some stuff and saw this on the cougar mounts front leg. It's really weird, like a circular loss of hair like it was clipped off. Have you seen anything like this? I checked the edge and it's like a circle but no loss around it or anywhere else. No loose hair etc.

Anything I can do about it like glue a patch of hair back on it or use another animals hair to cover it?

It isn't terrible, and not that big a deal, but does stick out somewhat. Any ideas what may have caused it also? Something fell on it, just loose hair that fell out etc? There is a brown couch under it no debris, shell casing etc?

It is in the kids playroom so maybe a ball hit it but its unlikely? If something fell on it ID think the Rick and other areas would show some signs too. Thanks guys-just curious:)

15-May-16

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
It is also possible I missed it in the move a year ago but then again, I think I would have seen it? In any case, any taxidermy experts advice is much appreciated. Another pic.

15-May-16

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

15-May-16
That's not hair loss.That is a cone-shaped wrist pad.It's supposed to be there.You will feel another one on the other wrist.All is good.

15-May-16
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. Didn't know that about the wrist pad buy very cool. Figured it was unique being a perfect circle but had never heard of the wrist pads. Learn something new every day:) Thanks again.

15-May-16
That big horse killer is still looking magnificent Eyad!!!

Mark

15-May-16
I've never seen a cougar close up, even a dead one. So, what is this " wrist pad " y'all speak of ?

15-May-16
It's a pad exactly like the foot and toe pads that is towards the outside of the cats leg/foot opposite the dewclaw. In your case it looks like there is still an issue. It should look just like the other pads. This pad should be sticking out about a half inch from the hair. It should have been repaired during the mounting process and painted. Yours looks like it is half missing.

15-May-16
Exactly. What doe he other leg have eyad

15-May-16
Thanks guys and thanks Mark:) I am out fishing with my son but I will check as soon as I get home tonight and update the thread Phil soucy did it and I can't imagine anybody doing a better job so I will check unless maybe something fell off in the last couple weeks that was covered up but it's good to know it is a natural feature although it sounds like sometimes they are painted over.

Are they usually on just the front feet or All four?

15-May-16

Bou'bound's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bou'bound's MOBILE embedded Photo

Front. All cats have it. See photo. Dew claw under my thumb. Black pad opposite is what is missing on yours. It looks like it was there but came off. Same as foot pad in texture and appearance. Of course the photo above is an 11 pounder not a 190 pounder

15-May-16
I see what you mean now. I just wasn't prepared for the " raw meat " look there.

15-May-16

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here is what mine looks like

16-May-16
Hawkeye,they are only on the front and they aren't black.They are more of a fleshy color,darker toward the base.The bone underneath the pad is called the pisiform.We have one on the outside of our wrists as well.The cat's pad is cone shaped.

16-May-16

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza's embedded Photo

16-May-16
Here's a reference pic for you. Phil dose great quality work. Could be a multiple off reason... maybe it was damaged and didn't grow right in the wild. Hard to tell from the picture. Great looking cat. Best of luck! Dennis

16-May-16
Thanks so much guys. Very helpful! Dennis-is there a way to repair it by getting a replacement Ibckukd gkue on or juts leave as such in your opinion? Not obviously worth it to send in etc. Thanks!

16-May-16
or..... a ball could have hit it.... not likely any volunteers for information at this point... =D

Great looking cat. Love cat mounts. I understand they are one of the easiest to screw up, hardest to do right... but when done right they are spectacular. That one was surely done right....

16-May-16

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Ha ha TD! My thoughts exactly. With two young boys I always tell my wife that I better take a picture of my mounts and my hair...both may be fleeting artifacts!

Talked to Phil today, great guy, and discussed that it likely just fell off as it can be fragile there. Fairly thin from what I understand. He advised getting any acrylic pain in dark grey, not black, and paint it.

So, today I did my first "taxi" work. Lol.

Hard to get that paint brush in there without nicking a hair ir two as was like a funnel with hair on outside. Not a great job standing on a couch with head lamp but gets the job done and walking by it you can't tell.

Got a few hairs "painted" but now I have two memories every time I look at the mount.

One of the hunt...and one of my Picasso performance;)

16-May-16

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Looks "dark" again in that part of leg vs the big tan slot jumping out.

It'll play:)

17-May-16
I don't know...........seems like a missed opportunity to say you have to go back to TNT and kill another monster since the first one you got had issues. You could at least try that with the Mrs. and see what happens.

17-May-16
I like the way you think Grant. I'll try that today!

Do you have an extra couch by the way....;)

• Sitka Gear