grizzlyhunter 26-May-16
muskeg 27-May-16
grizzlyhunter 28-May-16
muskeg 28-May-16
grizzlyhunter 29-May-16
grizzlyhunter 31-May-16
muskeg 01-Jun-16
25-May-16
Drew a Prince of Wales fall bear tag and was looking for any tips. Have a cabin rented in Coffman Cove area. Also wondering if its possible to hunt Blacktails if time allows. Any info would be appreciated.

26-May-16
Focus on the salmon streams at that time. Do you have a rental car/boat cause that will open up a lot of area for you. Deer season will be open. Blacktail Bob and Muskeg will jump in on this as well.

26-May-16
Yes I have a truck to use as well. My main focus will be on bear and then if all goes well will go after deer.

27-May-16
Are you hunting the Sept 1st opener ?

As Sept progresses the Deer hunt gets harder. In early Sept they are in the high Alpine. The Bear are in the lowland fish creeks mostly. It is like two different hunts. The Alpine is not easy to get to in most places.

With only a few tags drawn for the fall hunt you will basically have the Bear hunting to yourself. If hard rains flood the creeks and rivers the Bear move upland and feed on vegetable mater. That can make the Bear hunt harder. They will come into a predator or deer call also.

28-May-16
Yes I will be there for the Sept. 1st opener. Thanks for the info. My main focus is bear hunting and then see about getting to the alpine. I hope to be able to get into bears on the creeks. I will be hunting with my recurve and need to up close and personal.

28-May-16
Take your time ... the fish creeks are great for background noise and cover.

The big ones are around. They come out late. Stay up the creeks until dark.

Have a good headlamp and even a backup headlamp.

29-May-16
Sounds great. I make sure to have 2 headlamps with me and spare batteries on most hunts. I have hunted Alaska several times but this will be my first time on POW. I can't wait.

31-May-16
I have heard that the skull size is bigger on the island bears that those on the main land with the same body size. Does this tend to be true?

01-Jun-16
yes ... on Prince of Wales Island group (unit #2) ... a bear of the same age class can be 1 inch larger in skull size, than bear on the mainland and other Islands.

The mainland Bear have much better fur usually, than the Island Bears.

• Sitka Gear