drycreek 26-May-16
nutritionist 30-May-16
Konk1 01-Jun-16
skookumjt 01-Jun-16
Konk1 02-Jun-16
skookumjt 02-Jun-16
nutritionist 05-Jun-16
26-May-16
I have a field that is about 3 acres completely surrounded by hardwoods/cedars. This field has not been worked in probably 25 years. Here is what my plans are for this spring: this weekend (weather permitting) we're going to take a soil sample then spray with roundup. Wait a week then plow. Wait another week then disc/till and plant. I was looking at using the Grandpa Ray's Soil Builder Mix. By the time we get the Soil Builder in the ground it may be mid June. I sent an e- mail to Grandpa Ray's with some questions two days ago but haven't heard back yet (I'm sure he's busy as heck right now) Anyway do you guys have any advise while I await an answer from GR? I should also mention there are lots of Ag fields around including an alfalfa field on the same property. My intention is to create a plot to attract/hold deer in the area after the Ag crop growing season is over. This plot is located in Oconto county WI. so the growing season usually comes to an end mid-late Oct.

26-May-16
What Pat said. John will steer you right if he has some info to work with.

30-May-16
soil builder is a cool season mix but the annual clovers in it and buckwheat will still do fine. I put some in the ground last week and it's exploding already. Unless it gets super hot, we will be fine as long as we get a good 30 days of growth before heat sets in and the rain slows down.

sorry i got busy with looking at properties across the state and I have had some personal challenges of recently but i'm caught up with things.

I suggest people call me 608-235-0628 m-f 8 am-5pm this time of year i'm usually best to reach on the phone.

John

01-Jun-16
We got the plots sprayed on Monday, but now with all the rain we won't be able to get in there to work the plots for quite a while. We may be past our mid June planting date for the soil builder mix. Not sure what to do now.

01-Jun-16
John will give you some great ideas, but here are some suggestions in the meantime. The delay from the rain will help. I usually give fields two weeks for the roundup to work. Three acres is a pretty big field. I'd recommend breaking it up into several different mixes to give you some variety and ensure you have something the deer want year round. This will also give you some insurance against the weather in case it's unusually hot, dry, wet, cold, etc.

02-Jun-16
I used an app on my phone called Fields Area Measure over the weekend. Turns out the plots measure approx. 1.81 acres for the big field, .23 acre and .29 acres. I was thinking about planting the soil builder mix in maybe 2/3 of the big plot then Full Draw or Frosty Delight in the other 1/3. The smaller plots (which are connected to a larger 50 acre alfalfa field) I'm not sure about. I will post an aerial photo of the property if I can to give you an idea what we have. What I'm also trying to do by putting in these plots is nurture my relationship with the land owners. The property was recently turned over to the 6 adult children of the previous owner, all having a different idea as to what the land should be used for. My son and I have exclusive bowhunting privilege and 3 of the 6 new owners gun hunt the property. So I want to make sure what ever we plant also benefits the 3 gun hunters that hunt in late November. Does this make sense?

02-Jun-16
Consider putting in some grains and greens and John also has a mix with bulbs for winter forage which is probably as critical for overall deer health as anything you can do.

05-Jun-16
BULBS N FORBS can be planted in June. Fast grow is super drought tolerant for the summer. Four galore is outstanding for your situation with tghe lablab and cowpeas being dry tolerant and heat tolerant. You could mix some buckwheat or sunnhemp with the quad pro as well.

• Sitka Gear