Mule Power 29-May-16
Mule Power 29-May-16
Shoe 29-May-16
Bou'bound 29-May-16
Mule Power 29-May-16
28-May-16

Mule Power's embedded Photo
I hunted this bear for several years with no luck. We called him Meaneye because he would glare at the trail cam with a really nasty look on his face. He was extremely nocturnal. I got these pics yesterday from a friend up near Moncton.

Can you guess the weight?

28-May-16

Better view of the head. Those ears are looking pretty small!

28-May-16
Great bear Mule, congrats to your friend.

Let's just say he's almost 400?

28-May-16
What TREESTANDWOLF said.

28-May-16
419. No wait a minute 420 is my guess. Hunt

28-May-16
My guess is somewhere in that range too. I'll say 410. and split the difference.

28-May-16
I'm going with 475 =- 25..

28-May-16

28-May-16
I'd guess it around 350 - then again I'm no expert.

28-May-16

28-May-16

28-May-16
Congrats! C

28-May-16

28-May-16
That reminds me of what an old bear guide I worked with years ago used to say when one of his hunters asked him how much the hunter's bear weighed: (with an accent) "how much do you want him to weigh?"

He's gone now but that brings back fond memories.

Hard to tell from a picture but since it's still early season I will estimate him at 345.

28-May-16
Ken,

The Outfitter I have been hunting with for many years now not only says that but he also says "how much do you think it weighs". Keep them in the 10 ring.

Jeff

29-May-16

It's bittersweet to see this bear dead. Meaneye was always on your mind when you hunted there. Every time you picked up the card from the camera you couldn't wait to see if he had been there. All of the pics of him showed that look. He would squint his eyes like little slits and just glare at it like.... go ahead make my day.

But there were 2 problems with him. The main one was the he never showed up even close to first or last light. More like 2:30 am. One time we got a pic at the crack of dawn. I don't think you could get up the tree in the am without him vanishing if he was there. I always told my friends Marco and Marcelle.... the only way you will kill that bear is with a rifle sneaking in first thing in the morning and the wind better be perfect. But we bow hunt only there so we knew our chances were slim to none.

The other problem is that all of the other bears seemed to be thinking about Mr. Miserable too. Even decent sized bears would nervously sneak in from the back side of the barrel, grab one piece of dinner roll or doughnut and immediately run off with it somewhere safer. Shot opportunities were tough there because of that. The sows would show up really early in the evening with their cubs and then get the heck out of there well before dark.

The guy in the pic had a bait about a mile away and he had pics too. We figured the bear hit the 400 mark about 2 years ago. So here is the official weight of the whole bear on the scale. I'm really glad I got to see it with no questions asked. 452#. That's a lot of doughnuts eh! RIP Meaneye you old bastage.

29-May-16

The new King of the Barrel. Quite possibly one of Meaneye's youngins. Hopefully he'll grow up to be just as big.

29-May-16
So tell us the story, how did you outsmart him?

29-May-16
he didn't

29-May-16
Bou you actually read it huh? lol

I think it just came down to years and years of living in an area that gets hunted pretty good. Eventually he was bound to end up at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe looking for a sow in heat cost him his life. Happens to lots of guys.

• Sitka Gear