foxwillkill 05-Jun-16
foxwillkill 05-Jun-16
Mule Power 05-Jun-16
SDHNTR(home) 05-Jun-16
foxwillkill 05-Jun-16
Shrewski 08-Jun-16
Rock 08-Jun-16
03-Jun-16
Anyone been on an Alaskan coastal black bear hunt? I would like to hear your experiences while hunting from boats and outfitters that are recommended. Thanks Mark

03-Jun-16
Mark Galla ( Alaska Peaks and Seas) out of Wrangell does black and brown bear hunts. His boat is "The Bear Necessity". A search will get his website.

Hunted with him a few years back, plenty of black and browns as well as fishing and crabbing. He is an excellent outfitter with good accommodations.

03-Jun-16
I've done a boat black bear hunt. It wasn't in Alaska but it wasn't too awful far from the Alaskan boarder in B.C. It was a really cool experience. Living on a boat for a week. They caught crab for dinner one night. You can cover lots of ground and usually see a good number of bears.

I tell everyone to try it at least once if they can. The down side is its usually almost twice as expensive as a ground based hunt. I got lucky and got mine as a last minute cancellation. It was with Bolen Lewis.I had an awesome guide.I know he doesn't work for them anymore. That was in 2009, I think. So I can't speak for the quality of their outfit currently.

03-Jun-16
I've done it a bunch with a buddy that had a 36' boat out of Wrangell- its a kick, fun hunt.

We've seen Gallas hunters out and about in that Hewes [looks like a Hewes anyway] boat they tow for those hunts...

03-Jun-16
The hunt that caused me to move to Alaska was a black bear hunt in Prince William Sound. Hunted in May and moved by August--no regrets 15 years later. We rented a boat out of Whittier and camped on shore--rental business is no more, but there are lots of transporters in PWS that will get you around. Ninilchik Charters also runs boat based hunts there--never hunted blacks with him in PWS, but have hunted Kodiak from Mike's boats--top notch, can't go wrong with Ninilchik in my opinion. Also heard lots of good about Muskeg--he is a wealth of knowledge on Alaska forums for goat/deer/black bear in SE Alaska. Do it--your only regret will be that you don't live here in AK...akbow

05-Jun-16
Don't waste too much time thinking about prince william sound out of Whittier. The sound has been over hunted and season is very restricted now. Spend your money someplace other than out of whittier.

05-Jun-16
Mark Galla is a great guy but I think he is getting out of the guiding business. Talked with him in Wrangell 2 weeks ago and he was selling his areas to Keegan McCarthy. Mark lost his brother 2 months ago in a plane crash.

05-Jun-16

foxwillkill's embedded Photo
I've hunted out of a boat on POW. No guide or outfitter. Rented room and boat at Clover Pass Resort. Rent a stayed at on of the many cabins the state has for rent on the island and surrounding area. Here are a couple of pics. of bears we took on that hunt.

05-Jun-16

sorry wrong pic.

05-Jun-16

Here's another

05-Jun-16

Here is the largest bear. Sq. 7 feet 4 inches

05-Jun-16
How far in advance did you reserve the cabin?

05-Jun-16
Anyone know of a transporter only boat hunt in SE AK? I'd love to be able to stay on the boat and fish and crab, but hit the beach and hunt on my own.

05-Jun-16
The earlier you rent the cabins the better the choice. We rented several months early.

08-Jun-16
Always have wanted to do one of these boat based hunts.

08-Jun-16
Homer Ocean Charters is one boat based hunt that I know of.

• Sitka Gear