jims 09-Jun-16
BTM 09-Jun-16
davebw226 09-Jun-16
JohnB 09-Jun-16
Adventurewriter 10-Jun-16
davebw226 10-Jun-16
jims 11-Jun-16
06-Jun-16
I've been thinking about treking poles for packing out. My back ain't what it used to be and I'm thinking these will help take some stress off of it, am I delusional or correct?

06-Jun-16
Went to stand up with my loaded pack a few years ago and was both surprised and embarrassed that I simply couldn't do it. A friend had to give me a boost. I knew my knees, ankle, and back weren't like they once were, but had NO idea they'd gone that far south!. Got some trekking poles and will NEVER pack out an elk again without them!!!

06-Jun-16
I find them hugely helpful. they can significantly reduce stress on your knees as well. just need to decide if you want to hump them around til it's time to pack an animal out. i'd love to use them while hunting, but they can make noise and i can't imagine trying to juggle them with my bow and being ready to shoot.

06-Jun-16
To clarify what davebw226 mentioned, I don't carry them with me when I'm hunting. I get them when I go back for my pack frame.

06-Jun-16
WYO, kind of what I was thinking. Strictly for the pack out.

06-Jun-16
I usually carry one when hunting. Could be useful if you injure yourself while hunting, and when taking the first load out right after the kill. Grab a second one for packing out.

Twist lock poles always seem to fail. The lever locks are more secure. We use Leki. They have a model that you can get a camera mount for. It's just a simple screw mount that's unobtrusive in the top of the grip. Comes in handy for hero shots or group shots.

06-Jun-16
I used trekking poles for the first time last season, they were awesome! I bought a lightweight pair that I kept in my pack until I needed them to pack out meat. They were especially helpful when going downhill with a heavy pack, took a lot of pressure off my knees. If you buy the telescoping or twist-lock variety get good ones, the cheap ones will collapse on you. Camofire.com has had a few different types on there lately...

06-Jun-16
the first time i used poles i was amazed at the difference. i use them climbing in the mornings and packing out meat. its like putting your body into four wheel drive and really takes stress off your back. i always have them with me when hunting in the mountains.

06-Jun-16
Interested in this thread as well. I've seen a couple of these threads in the past, some even offered suggestions on which poles were best, hopefully they'll see this post and add their suggestions.

06-Jun-16
If you are in steep terrain, they are an absolute must. It's like having additional footing. I first used them on my Alaska Range sheep hunt and wouldn't hunt without them in steep terrain.

As for the pack out, they are awesome and it's easier to stop and and rest with them. I got my bull down this year and had an uphill pack job ahead of me. With the poles and using the gutless method, I was able to get him out in 3 trips.

Leki and Black Diamond are good brands. If you are on a budget, old ski poles are okay.

06-Jun-16
I have Black Diamonds with lever locks. They are excellent. I use them hiking in the morning and any time I am packing. Super light and fast to adjust. I put the self adhesive camo tape on any pert I don't need exposed for adjustments (which isn't much). I like the cork handles as well, I just spray them down with scent killer every couple of days. Buy the best you can afford, You don't want a pole failure with 80 pounds on your back walking down a steep mountain side!

06-Jun-16
They're worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. As others have said, get the flip or lever lock ones. I went thru a couple of REI brand telescoping/twist locks before spending a little more and getting a good set of flip locks. Nothing more annoying than putting your weight on one pole and having it collapse on you!

06-Jun-16
Sounds like you guys have made my decision. There was just a pair on camofire for 89$ I can't find them now. Not sure if I want the easton alum set or find some carbon.

06-Jun-16
Ohiohunter, I was in the same boat as you. I got lever lock aluminum Black Diamonds and they were great. Another message board wasn't that high on the carbon vs aluminum benefit, which made my decision. eBay and Amazon have some good deals. If they are close in price, go carbon. If there is a premium for the carbons, go aluminum.

06-Jun-16
Ohiohunter- I have those same exact poles that are on Camofire. I had bought mine a couple years prior and I love them for packing out meat. They are incredibly lite weight and cork grip that don't rub you raw like rubber. With that price you can't go wrong. I am sure they will be back up. Luck!

06-Jun-16
I've been on a number of sheep and goat hunts where poles have pretty much been a life-saver. They definitely help stability and maneuverability on vertical, rocky slopes. A lot of the elk country I hunt is similar. I don't tend to use them as much in rolling rimrock and sage country. My poles collapse super short which are nice for airlines and hauling through brush. Poles are mighty noisy and I would advise against using them while hunting. I bought a great pair of Leki poles for about 1/2 price with a coupon code at Sierra Trading. Take a look at reviews before you buy a pair!

06-Jun-16
My dad and I went on an elk hunt last year and I was teasing him when showed me that he'd bought trekking poles. Well he got the last laugh and after he tagged out I was using it every day, haha. I've since purchased a pair for my own. As others have recommended, I like the LEKI.

06-Jun-16
treking poles are a must for me. I keep them in the pack while hunting and they are ready for a pack out. a creek crossing, or a steep climb/descent. While scouting in the summer, they are in use all the time.

Ive had a pair of REI twistlocks that have been nice to me so far. Next pair will be the either level locks or fixed lengths. Leaning towards the lever locks as the adjustment is nice for uphill vs downhill.

06-Jun-16
I use a set of aluminum poles with lever locks that I bought at Walmart for less than $20; they work just fine.

BP

07-Jun-16
As HockeyDad mentioned above trekking poles are great for creek crossings...especially fairly deep, fast currents! My hunting buddy showed me how to use them correctly on an Alaska sheep hunt when we had to cross a fast running glacier creek. I know I would have ended up in the drink without them. Another use for poles would be as tent poles. I'm pretty sure Tarptent offers a couple tent models where it's possible to use trekking poles instead of bringing along tent plus trekking poles.

07-Jun-16
I use two when packing in or out and often carry one when hunting in the rough stuff,especially if I know i'm going to have to cross a scree slope. They are definitely worth their weight in gold when hunting the steep stuff around timberline.

07-Jun-16
I use them all the time on the trip in and out. Plus I kinda need one to pitch my shelter I just bought.

07-Jun-16
Funny that 2 days ago I was reading about them in an elk magazine and yesterday we hit a couple of thrift stores after church. I came across a pair of black diamond carbon poles for 10 bucks !

07-Jun-16
If I'm packing, I want poles. I'm late to the game... but a firm believer, a disciple even. I pack in camp with them... and if the planets align, pack out meat with them.

Only issue is first load out... I don't hunt with them for the most part.... on a good deer... first/only load out can be... interesting...

Yes, lever locks, hands down. I really like the BD angled cork handles. Broke my wrists in a car accident a long long time ago and they MUCH prefer the angled handles.... especially downhill, which is as (or more) important than uphill. The angled grips get the poles out in front of you by just lifting your forearm. And MUCH prefer cork to the foam. The foam gets nasty pretty quick and is much harder to clean up. Coach has straight cork Z sticks (one section lever lock).... having used them both the angles grips are much better for me. I would not own non-adjustable Z sticks.

07-Jun-16
Love my Black Diamond lever locks, use them for training, hiking, as well as hunting. Takes a load off of my knees, especially on downhill descents. Also really helps to prevent slips and falls. I do adjust them for uphill/downhill, but they also have a double grip that allows for a quick change without stopping to adjust the length.

07-Jun-16
I find them hugely helpful. they can significantly reduce stress on your knees as well. just need to decide if you want to hump them around til it's time to pack an animal out. i'd love to use them while hunting, but they can make noise and i can't imagine trying to juggle them with my bow and being ready to shoot.

07-Jun-16
make sure they got flick locks and not screw locks.

08-Jun-16
Easton trekking poles on sale right now on camofire.com $24.99. Good deal

08-Jun-16
Saw that, but I think they are twist lock which everyone has voted against.

08-Jun-16
the twist/screw lock models will jam up on you from all the dust on the trail etc.

09-Jun-16
Camofire had a set of flip lock eastons for 29$, I think those were why I asked. Always kind of considered poles but b/c of the unit I drew I figured I should think a little harder about a set.

I like the BD ergos but I don't think I can pass up CF eastons for 30$

09-Jun-16
Possibly do a web search under the model you're interested in. There are usually lots of reviews on the good or bad ones that do or do not lock!

09-Jun-16
Love 'em! It's like going from 2WD to 4WD.

If you want to save a few bucks, go to a thrift store and pick up an old pair of ski poles for pennies.

09-Jun-16
So i was randomly wondering around COSTCO today and saw a set of Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles selling for $40. While i'm sure they are heavier than more expensive ones they actually looked surprisingly good. lever locks, cork handles. doesn't look like they sell them online though. I think they are a seasonal SKU, and a quick web search returns very positive reviews. Just a heads of for those who have followed this thread and decided to give them a try.

09-Jun-16
Anyone use the three piece Leki? Aside from the price around $130. the fact that you can pack them and pull them out when you need them would be attractive.

10-Jun-16
Don't go steep or heavy load hunting without them

10-Jun-16
So i was randomly wandering around COSTCO today and saw a set of Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles selling for $40. While i'm sure they are heavier than more expensive ones they actually looked surprisingly good. lever locks, cork handles. doesn't look like they sell them online though. I think they are a seasonal SKU, and a quick web search returns very positive reviews. Just a heads of for those who have followed this thread and decided to give them a try.

11-Jun-16
Take a look at Sierra Trading website. They have a pile of Leki poles for less than $100. Some of their poles have quite a few reviews..plus you can find more web reviews on Leki poles if you do a search on the particular model you are interested in. If you use a coupon code you can get an additional 20 to 30% off Sierra Trading Posts already great prices. You'll probably find a great pair of Leki's at ST for a similar price to the COSTCO poles mentioned above. I've used a pair of Leki's that I got from ST on 3 Alaska sheep/goat and numerous Colo and Wyo trips and they've worked fantastic. They are super light and compact for carrying and hauling on airlines.

• Sitka Gear