x-man 06-Jul-16
Wood 06-Jul-16
WapitiBob 06-Jul-16
Wood 07-Jul-16
WapitiBob 07-Jul-16
Purdue 07-Jul-16
HDE 07-Jul-16
08-Jun-16
I saw a guy bare shaft tuning with just bare arrows and he would turn nockpoint until spine was straight up and down. With spine left or right he would get a corresponding tear. How necessary is this? Is this the first step in paper tuning, done before comparing fletched to bare shafts? My bow has always been slightly out of tune with broad heads and field points (broad heads group a couple inches high and right). I usually just adjust to broad heads only before season but would like to correct this.

08-Jun-16

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I have a RAM spine indexer. I index all my shafts and shoot with the stuff spine up. The guy turning the nocks is doing the same thing. But a longer process than mine. I find that I get increased accuracy with indexed arrows! Not near the amount of left and right misses I used to have when I didn't index my shafts.

08-Jun-16
Is there any way to look at the shaft and see where the spine is, to get a closer starting point? If your spines are not indexed is your normal paper tuning correct? Or are non indexed spines enough to through your paper tune off?

08-Jun-16
With ram spine indexer you can see the spine. I mark it and fletch my cock vane on the stiff side. Yea if you were shooting two different shafts that were indexed different you could have different tears thru paper.

Some guys will shoot each arrow and turn the nock until they all year the same

08-Jun-16
In golf this procedure of aligning the spine is called "puring" the shaft. Spine should be aligned at the 9 o'clock position to get the most power outif the shaft. Puring had to be done on a machine to find the spine.

In building ng fishing rods the spine should be on the top of the rod to produce the most power out of the rod.

I'm not really sure where spine should be on an arrow shaft. Would like to know the correct answer.

08-Jun-16
Quote: "Is there any way to look at the shaft and see where the spine is, to get a closer starting point?"

When I find "flyer" shafts based on shooting results, I've never seen any visual indication (like wall thickness variation or any other clues) as to why the stiffness varies around the circumference of the shaft....if that's what you're asking. Some brands seem to be more prone to variation than others. It is an absolute certainty though, that all carbon fiber tubing has manufacturing variations that cause the stiffness (what we call "spine") to vary along the length of the tubing, and around the circumference of the tubing.

You can make the process as basic or as complex as you want, depending on how finicky you want to be. I should probably be more careful, but tend to use to a simpler system, in which I fletch my shafts without considering radial stiffness variation. Then if I notice a "flyer" while shooting, I index my nocks 120 degrees to see if the shaft will fly to the point of aim. If no luck on the first try, the next move is rotating the nock another 120 degrees. Hopefully that works because the next 120-degree move puts the shaft back to the point of beginning. OTOH, if your rest set-up allows it, you can make smaller indexing moves if no worries about vane clearance.

The process cited by Ermine above, in which a spine tester is used prior to fletching shafts, in order to locate the radial position on each shaft with maximum stiffness, is a far superior method, if you want to go that far.

08-Jun-16

LINK's Link
Video I watched for those not following what we are taking about.

08-Jun-16
If your carbon arrows have a stiff/weak side enough that it's affecting arrow flight, buy a different brand shaft.

08-Jun-16
If I understand correctly, all carbons have a side of the arrow that is stiffer in spine in comparison to the other side even if the static spine of the entire arrow is correct. Correct me if I'm wrong? When ermine says spine up, I assume he is talking about the stiffer side. I've heard some guys say spine at 9 o'clock and some as 6 as well. JRW I'm shooting Gold tip Pro hunters and kinetics, their tolerances are among the top of carbon arrows, I'm not shooting Walmart stuff.

08-Jun-16
A few years ago I took 2 dozen arrows and tuned each one on the hooter shooter . I would turn the nicks until all The arrows hit the same hole. Had 2 arrows that would not tune . Acc 360. Alll arrows have a stiff side. Hunt

08-Jun-16
To me, the only logical reason to have the spine (stiff side) up is to minimize the flex or movement due to non-level nock travel. This is flex or movement imparted due to the cam(s) design. Stiff side down may help even better???

Cam lean also can affect the direction of the arrow's flex or movement. If nock travel from the cam(s) design is zero, but the cam's lean is significant, then the spine should be at either 3 or 9 o'clock.

If you have both cam lean and non-level nock trave from the cam(s) design, then the spine needs to be at some angle that most negates that induces arrow flex or movement. It is therefore best to shoot through paper with a bare shaft, rather than using a mechanical spine tester, to determine the best nock position.

08-Jun-16
LINK,

I stopped shooting Gold Tips many years ago because the quality control was so poor. The last set of shafts I got from them had spine ratings all over the place.

08-Jun-16
I shoot Gold Tips because of their excellent quality control, and durability. Rarely is indexing a real issue that the average shooter will ever notice. It's splitting hairs, IMO. If it makes you feel better, have at it. Surely, it can't hurt. Some arrow companies now will mark the stiff spine side for you. I just saw some the other day, but I cannot remember the brand. What I do, and it's pretty much a compromise...

Screw a head on and test for spin. The vast majority of times it will shoot just fine like that. I fletch all my vanes the same color, so in the very rare circumstance where I get a bit of a flyer, I just rotate the nock to the next vane up spot and shoot again. I can usually get it tuned back into the group by doing this. If not, and this pretty much never happens, that arrow gets relegated to practice only (field point) status.

If your broadheads are off by inches, you have other issues and I don't think indexing is gonna help much. It could be a bow tune issue, but it could also likely be the indian and not the bow. Grip torque and trigger punching will kill broadhead flight.

If you please, give us all your set up specs and lets start there...

08-Jun-16
SDHNTR. I see your point but my concern is in paper tuning my bow to take out the bigger issue. How can I paper tune with fletchings on if I can get a left or right paper tear with a properly spined bare shaft just because it isn't indexed correctly? If those shafts that are indexed wrongly give me a left tear won't they do the same with fletchings?

08-Jun-16
With a fishing rod blank, you can just grab the tip and bend it over to see which side it wants to flop on, then rotate it until the stiffest area is up and down, and the rod no longer has that flopping tendency. Then you install the ferrules in plane with that. Try bending some ugly sticks some time - good rod for the $$ but they are floppers!

The question is, with arrow shaft being such a short, stiff length of carbon, is there a way to determine the stiffest direction of a shaft without owning special equipment? Ideally, is there a way to determine it with an already fully built arrow? Conversely, would a well equipped bow shop have the tools to measure the stiffest blank shaft plane and fletch etc accordingly?

Adding to the challenge, based on comments above looks like with a bow where the nock is moving vertically during the shot (e.g. assume Matthew singlecam) or laterally due to cam lean, you're going to have to tweak the nock to get the spine direction sweet spot for the bow regardless.

For guys who have measured this, which hunting grade arrows have the least variation in spine stiffness for a listed spine? Has anyone attempted to measure it cross-sectionally as well as linearly.

I am starting to realize why target guys will drop a thou on a batch of really highgrade arrows.

08-Jun-16
Sorry guys. I know I'm a idiot when it comes to tuning, I'm a hunter not an archer but m trying to work on it. I hadn't considered the solo cam, I shoot a switchback XT. Is there a certain amount of nock travel coming from a single cam or can one tune to take it out on a single cam? I'm thinking where's Xman?

08-Jun-16
Williamtell: I shoot a recurve and can only speak to Gold Tip Traditionals and Carbon Express Heritage shafts but the GT were horribly inconsistent!

You're absolute right about finding the stiff side of a fishing rod. It's easy. FYI freshwater rods should be built with the stiff side up and down. Heavy duty saltwater rods should be built with the weak side up or else a big tuna will twist the rod out of your hand. More accurately, if you're wearing a harness to fight a big tuna it can take you off your feet.

Finding the stiff side of arrow shafts isn't too hard. I lay the arrow on something padded (but not too padded) like a soft mouse pad or a paperback book. Lift up one end of the arrow while pushing down in the middle and try to spin it. It will try to resist spinning when you are pushing on the soft side. When you're pushing on the stiff side it will try to spin because its unstable there.

08-Jun-16
"How can I paper tune with fletchings on if I can get a left or right paper tear with a properly spined bare shaft just because it isn't indexed correctly? If those shafts that are indexed wrongly give me a left tear won't they do the same with fletchings?"

If you can shoot bullet holes in paper with a bare shaft, there is no need to paper tune with fletching. Some can shoot bullet holes in paper with a bare shaft at 20 yards. Such a bow is tuned and is being shot with perfect form.

"Is there a certain amount of nock travel coming from a single cam or can one tune to take it out on a single cam?"

Most bows have some combination of vertical and horizontal nock travel. Some can even be induced by the shooter. To tune it all out is frequently impossible. It is therefore a waste of time to merely find the spine of the arrow if you don't know where to orient it. Shooting through paper with a bare shaft does both at the same time. Once you find the optimal nock orientation then adjust the rest and/or nocking point to shoot bullet holes as far out as possible.

08-Jun-16
This is discussed frequently over on AT.

A guy named Shane Chuning is very knowledgeable on the topic and has tested hundreds if not thousands of arrows. He also has a website called ontarget7.com

It would be great to buy a RAM spine tester, but I can't justify the cost. There are a few online arrow dealers now offering this service and mark each shaft's stiff side. I may go this route in the future.

08-Jun-16
I like Easton arrows. In my experience they have the high tolerances. I'm currently running FMJ injections. They are .001 and I really have a tough time finding a stiff side with the indexer. Arrows that aren't that high are much easier to find the stiff side

08-Jun-16
So the fletched arrow is showing tune issues and once tuned the bare shaft showes arrow tune? I think it's making sense. Maybe.

08-Jun-16
This kind of reminds me of when that arrow squaring device came out several years ago. All of a sudden -- like overnight -- no one could hit anything with arrows not "squared" with some kind of device. It was like everyone forgot how to cut an arrow, something folks had been doing just fine for decades. Marketing...it's a riot.

08-Jun-16
shoot aluminum & you don't have to worry about it. 2413s at 70# always work great.

08-Jun-16
I wonder how many bowhunters are out there that just buy arrows and go out and kill stuff without worrying about spine alignment?

There is definitely a noticable "wobble" if the spine is orientated to anything but optimal, but it's more of a nuisance than anything else I think.

08-Jun-16

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
JRW- Oh spine indexing is not a marketing hype. Plenty of top archers do it. Top bowhunters too , guys like Randy Ulmer.

You don't have to do it to bowhunt. Plenty of guys don't. But why wouldn't you want to be more accurate? I try to be as accurate as possible. I have found that I have increased accuracy when I have my arrows indexed.

Here 2 arrows at 110 yards I shot the other day. I shot this just for fun. Makes me better for 30 and 40 yard shots.

08-Jun-16
"I mark it and fletch my cock vane on the stiff side."

don't we all man, don't we all.................

08-Jun-16
"Marketing" smh ...

08-Jun-16
"JRW- Oh spine indexing is not a marketing hype. Plenty of top archers do it. Top bowhunters too , guys like Randy Ulmer."

Plenty of them don't and actually laugh at the idea. I know, I know, spine indexing is all the rage these days. Pretty soon it'll be something else that suddenly no one can do without.

Now, where did I leave that Acorn Cruncher? Maybe it's next to my Ozonics machine. ;)

08-Jun-16
I bareshaft shoot every arrow before I fletch them. I am finger shooting a compund bow and my setup it is very sensitive to spine. Indexing each shaft by dynamically testing them is key for my accuracy esp with broadheads.

08-Jun-16
Seems the stff side should face directly away from the riser due to archers paradox... or between 9 & 11 o'clock for tradition and maybe 12 o'clock for a compound w/a dropaway rest. What say you?

08-Jun-16
the stiffer the better for compound.

08-Jun-16

08-Jun-16
Static spine indexing means nothing, dynamic spine indexing means quite a bit. Carbon express and black eagle are the best, they go down from there.

To say that aluminums don't have a stiff side would be incorrect. It's generally the weld seam.

A hooter shooter will confirm all of the above. Will it make the difference between a hit or a miss, not likely but it'll make a difference.

08-Jun-16
Spine would depend on the manufacturing process, as mentioned above.

09-Jun-16
I used to check all my shafts for straightness and after marking the "high" side I put them on a spine checker and marked that to. Eventually quality arrows became so good that it was a waste of time. For me anyway.

Now, if I get an arrow that is consistently out of the group, which is rare, I just rotate the nock.

But then, I'm not a great shooter either.

09-Jun-16
I shoot goldtip prohunter 340's and I pretty much do what sdhntr does. I'll fletch them all same color and shoot them rotating nocks til they fly great. It's time consuming and tedious work. But when I see the end result vs the guys who don't go thru all that extra work and watch them shake their heads at bh shoots. I smile an keep on walking. To each his own but bottom line is how serious are you and what kind of results you want. Average minds usually get average results :)

Anyone ever see post where they talk about bh tuning saying they can't get their fixed heads to fly the same so they just use expandables as a simple fix. Bet if some of them tried what we are discussing they would see positive results. Just food for thought.

To those of you who don't do it I'll challenge anyone to step up next to me an ermine an go head to head in a bh shootout. Myb you'll change ur mind.

09-Jun-16
Call me OCD but I also index my shafts during the arrow building process. It's actually pretty interesting to see what your spine deflection really is. I mark each shaft on the stiff side and shoot that side up.

I'm not convinced it makes a HUGE difference but archery is a game of inches and paying attention to the finer details will make you a better shooter in the end. I need all the help I can get when "buck fever" settles in!

09-Jun-16

elkstabber's embedded Photo
elkstabber's embedded Photo
WapitiBob is right about the weld line on aluminum arrows. It's there.

For those who are unfamiliar with the construction of carbon arrows: picture a wet mat of carbon/fiberglass fabric that is wound around a center rod (called a mandrel). The fabric is wrapped around the mandrel until it hardens and then the mandrel is removed. This leaves a hollow carbon/fiberglass shaft.

When the fabric is wrapped around and the shaft is finished there is normally some overlap. This overlap of the wrap makes for a stiffer side, this is normal. If the number of wraps lines up perfectly then the shaft won't have any stiff side and will be perfectly consistent, this is rare. I did a google search for images and couldn't find any so here is a quick sketch.

Of course the shaft manufacturers all strive for a perfect number of wraps without an overlap but since the fabric is flexible it is very difficult to gain perfect control on mass manufacturing equipment.

Arrow shafts, golf clubs, fiberglass pipes, fishing rods, etc are all made the same way.

When I was in the fishing business years ago it was obvious where a fishing rod was assembled. If it was made in the US the handle and guides would be on the stiff side of the blank. If the rod was made overseas the handle and guides were positioned at random from one rod to the next. At that time only the US manufacturers paid attention to the stiff side of a rod's blank. Overseas manufacturers simply didn't care because the consumers mostly didn't care. Rod manufacturers have known about it for years. Ever notice how some fishing rods cast more accurately than others? This is real, folks.

09-Jun-16
OCD ........ yes, I have it, but this is interesting.

I'd rather index my arrows than watch TV.

Good info.

09-Jun-16
I tried to find the stiff side according to elkstabbers instructions. On my daughters 600's I could find the stiff side but on my 300's I couldn't notice the difference.

09-Jun-16
Good stuff, RC!

09-Jun-16
LINK: It takes a bit of feel to notice it. I don't know a better way to describe it. Stiffer arrows are trickier and your 300s might just be more consistent.

RC's method sounds great. The carbon's overlapped side should settle downward because it's heavier and then you mark the top.

09-Jun-16
Nice Rancid, if true that would be easy enough.

09-Jun-16
Not knocking you Rancid. I will try it. What do you plug your shafts with? Will your practice tips and nocks work?

09-Jun-16
Yeah I figured unfletched but the tip sinking escaped me. ;) Thanks.

09-Jun-16
Wapitibob-

What is dynamic spine indexing?

09-Jun-16
OTT2 bob might correct me but static spin indexing I believe would be indexing your arrows according to where the spine is in a fixed position. Dynamic indexing would be shooting them and indexing until the are shooting clean holes in paper like the video above.

09-Jun-16
And to use terminology correctly, an arrow does not have a "spine" per se. Spine is a measure of stiffness, static as a hard number, and dynamic as in behavior.

Not saying there isn't variation in spine in nearly any material, just not the way some are using the term.

09-Jun-16
Based on what I've read, the "water floating" method does not, in fact find the stiff plane of the arrow. It only finds the heavy side, so to speak, or maybe the overlapped side of the fibers. I remember reading a post by Shane Chuning where he did this and then compared it to his results from the RAM tester and they didn't match.

You are still indexing the shaft, just not to the stiff plane.

RC....... Have you compared your float method results on a RAM tester? Not looking for an argument, just asking. At one point, I used to look inside the shaft with a light and was able to see the beginning of the wrap (GT arrows) and would mark the shaft to fletch them the same way. Don't really know if that helped or not. The last batch I bought was hand selected out of 2 dozen that had the most consistence spine around the shaft, so I didn't index them prior to gluing in the inserts. I may still try the float method.

09-Jun-16
Link is correct.

A spine tester can kind of work but what really matters is how they react when you shoot them. Gillingham does it with every arrow he shoots and he's the longest tenured employee at Gold Tip. Not too bad of a shooter either.

They do not shoot for a clean hole thru paper; they shoot for the same tear. I don't know anybody that after tuning, has a bullet hole in paper. Grouping is what matters.

09-Jun-16
One more reason to go stiffer with modern compound bows.

IMO the indexing would become more an issue if the spine was marginal to begin with. The less the arrow flexes at launch the less a bit of variance in spine from shaft to shaft (or within a shaft) will matter.

I have a tool I made years ago with bearing rollers on the end and a dial mike in the center. Made it back in the day for checking and straightening aluminum shafts. Have used it with a "sling" and weight similar to the RAM tool for spine and "indexing" carbons. But honestly haven't used it in several years. I can't remember having such issues in a some time now with "fliers" shooting stiffer CTs and Victorys. Maybe I'll check the next batch.

09-Jun-16
Before reading grunt n gobbles post I float tested two arrows on my lunch break. I looked inside to see if I could see the lap and it matched up with the heavy side. I could have done something wrong but when I floated the arrow it would just stay where I put it. If I spun it about 80% of the time it would stop heavy side straight down, 20% heavy straight up. Stiffer side or not they would be indexed I think.

09-Jun-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I also got this on two bare shafts and two fletched. Disregard the red knocked arrow. I take it this is knock low so I need to move my knock up or rest down? Can I do either or does it have to be just the nock?

09-Jun-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

09-Jun-16
Not sure what kind of target that is due to the black cover, but assuming its not a bag target or extremely beatup, I'd say your bareshafts look pretty good. They look to be entering the target fairly straight and don't show the nock kicked to the left or right.

Don't make any adjustment yet. Shoot several more arrows before you come to any conclusions.

BTW....... I'm far from an expert here. I've had difficulty with shooting bareshafts in the past, but I can get FBBH's to shoot with FP's out to 60yds usually too. I know a persons form had better be spot-on and minimal facial contact to achieve good bareshaft results.

09-Jun-16
Link, Not to derail this at all, but aligning spine eliminates the fliers and tightens groups. It won't suddenly change your broadhead groups from hitting high and right of your field tip groups. To get those groups together you move your rest towards your field tip groups n tiny increments. Begin with the vertical. Tons of threads on here about "broadhead tuning". Your original post stated you wanted to get your broadheads hitting with your target tips.... Aligning spine won't necessarily do that, but it can make improve th arrow to arrow consistency. Maybe I missed where someone els mentioned this, but it needed to be said if it hadn't already. Using spine alignment to get broadheads and field tips to group together is like trying to use an apple to make orange juice.

09-Jun-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Don't know how well you can see these but the tail end of my bare shaft is high and a little right of fletched arrow alignment.

09-Jun-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Target is a pos I bought from sportsmanship guide. It wears you out getting the arrows of it.

09-Jun-16
Link, put a sheet of paper 3' in front of the target. Only shoot the bare shafts. Start at 5 yards. Make adjustments until you get minimal tear. Move to 10 yards and repeat. Move and repeat.

You may have to put a dab of lipstick or oil on the point to help determine which end of the tear is which.

09-Jun-16
Will do when I get some time to.

09-Jun-16
Bucman I understand. My initial comcern was if a bare shaft can get a right tear out of a tuned bow by not being indexed what is the point of bare shaft paper tuning.

09-Jun-16
Indexing the nock won't tune the bow. You are trying to find the nock orientation that gives the least amount of tear. After that orientation is found then adjust the rest and/ nocking point to tune the bow by using the same bare shaft shooting through paper. (Be sure to mark the nock so the same orientation is maintained with each shot) Keep adjusting and moving back until you are shooting bullet hole at 15 or 20 yards. Now your bow is tuned. This method does take good form. Shoot 3 times before you make an adjustment

09-Jun-16
By the way, aluminum arrows are extruded or drawn, not welded.

09-Jun-16
What arrow shaft manufacturers will mark the spine index on the shafts for you if any ? ( Black Eagle maybe?)

09-Jun-16
Purdue, you are incorrect on a few points.

A bullet hole thru paper isn't a tuned bow and prior to extruding, the aluminum coil is welded during the tube forming process.

Coccon, black eagle doesn't mark the spine side.

09-Jun-16
A bow that shoots bullet holes through paper at 20 yards with a bare shaft is a tuned bow.

An aluminum arrow's final shape is determined by a die via an extrusion or drawing process, not a welding process. The aluminum was at one point liquid and cast into a billet. You wouldn't say the arrow tube was made by casting. Well, maybe you would, but I would not. My aluminum arrow show no evidence, inside or out, of a weld.

09-Jun-16
You can certainly tune how you choose but you're short changing yourself thinking a bullet hole is a tuned bow and the best it will group.

I spent the day in Eastons plant, they buy coil stock, run it thru a former that forms it into a tube and welds the seams. It gets cut to length and then goes theu several extruders. The weld is always present and visible to the naked eye.

09-Jun-16
Extremely interesting topic, but I'm not sure I can shoot good enough for it to matter much :(

09-Jun-16
Ghost, don't sell yourself short. Everybody I shoot with on a weekly basis is a National or World freestyle champ, some are both. I'm the odd guy out but I've seen several of them go from mid packers to the top of the heap. It can be done.

09-Jun-16
Just claiming it's an inferior method does not make it so. Shooting an unstable shaft that makes a bullet hole at 20 yards and saying the bow is not tuned is just not logical. You must have a different definition of the the word "tune". Adding fletching makes the arrow stable will only improve it's performance and at longer range.

Groups are more a function of the shooter than the tune of the bow. A shooting machine will shoot virtually same hole groups with a moderately untuned bow.

The tube manufacturer that I am familiar with extrudes the tube from a very hot billet under extreme pressure. I wonder if Easton has changed their process since you were there for there is no visible evidence of a weld in my shafts. Maybe the extrusion process rubs it out.

09-Jun-16
We care how it groups and how it forgives, not how it looks thru paper. A bullet hole isn't the most forgiving setup and never has been. A bullet hole is an unnatural condition on any bow with a cable guard.

If you're confident in your tuning, stick with it. When you have some spare time I'd say dig into group tuning and see if it does anything for you.

09-Jun-16
Link, sorry, I thought you were asking if indexing the spine would tune the broadheads to impact with your field tips.

For me, paper tuning s the beginning of the tune, and a "rough" tune. I simply tune my broadheads to impact exactly with my field points and for the smallest group I can.

10-Jun-16
Yeah Bucman I understand indexed arrows won't solve tuning issues. The guy on the video I linked above was what get me started on this. He claims to have a well tuned bow but before indexing gets a pretty big left tear. My thought was without indexing arrows first how do you know if a bare shaft tear is from bad tune or non indexed arrows. I guess you must index first.

10-Jun-16
To me it appears the arrow shot in the video has a weak spine. The indexing found the alignment for the stiffest spine of the arrow. I have seen this when I was shooting arrows that were on the edge of having too weak of a spine. I had to index them in order to get them grouping broadheads well. I changed to the next stiffer spine and no longer needed to index them to get good flight or groups. Long story to that episode, but I'll leave it at that.

I do not index my arrows. Unless one does not shoot to he same poi as the others. If it still doesn't impact with the other arrows, then I put a judo tip on it and expect to break or lose it chasing grouse. If indexing it differently does bring it into the group, then I may refletch it, or I may just use it for field point shooting and never for hunting.

Indexing the spine of the arrows may allow a person to use a couple more arrows for broadheads. Or for a person to still get use from arrows with a slightly weak spine. Or tighten a shooters group a little giving them more confidence in their setup. That confidence would be the most important in my opinion.

10-Jun-16
" He claims to have a well tuned bow but before indexing gets a pretty big left tear."

Then he wasn't well tuned.

10-Jun-16
A good many people think because a bowshop set up their bow it is tuned. It may be checked as to factory specs and timing, components installed and set up well (certain alignment parameters) using various tools, but I know very few shops that tune a bow. At most check a few shots through paper to verify setup is reasonably close. Others offer to tune as a paid service. But real tuning can take a fair amount of time. Sometimes all falls into place... other cases it takes a frustratingly long time.

In all honesty I see paper as a very rough tune. A starting point to tune. And if getting tears that's not a good starting point.

I don't know what target shooters do WRT tuning. I do know if you're getting any kind of tear in paper you aren't going to get broadheads grouping with FPs. The FP won't care much about the air they catch. FBBH are in your face about it. If they aren't both coming off straight (bullet holes) FBBH will let you know real fast.

Broadhead tuning (grouping FBBH and FP to the same point) IMO is the holy grail of tuning for bowhunters. There are several ways to get there, to have both grouping to the same point... but to me that's the final test to pass.... if it's not there it's not tuned.

10-Jun-16
best thing a bow can have is static yokes, at least one, two is even better for tuning, won't ever buy another without, made tuning so easy, but you need a press

10-Jun-16
What makes broadhead tuning the holy grail? Who decided?

When you broadhead tune you compare the flight of a stable arrow, the fletched field point one, to a less stable arrow, the fletched one with a broadhead. The quality of the tune depends upon the actual difference in the degree of stability of the two arrows.

Is the only difference the broadhead or do the have different fletching and different FOC too? Assuming everything is the same except for the head, how big is the broadhead being used? Obviously the bigger the broadhead the more unstable the arrow and the more accurate the tune will be. So the "Holy Grail" of tuning actually depends upon the size (surface area) of the broadhead used. A rather subjective way of doing things in my opinion.

Shooting through paper with a bare shaft, on the other hand, is the ultimate in an unstable arrow. (Shooting a broadhead on a bare shaft is more unstable, but potentially too dangerous for Easton or myself to recommend) Being able to produce a bullet hole at 5 yard increments out to 20 yards demonstrate a the very definition of a tuned bow and under more extreme conditions (more unstable) than broadhead tuning.

A moderately untuned bow can shoot a clean hole through paper at 20 yards with a broadhead tipped arrow. The arrow has time to stabilize because of the fletching. Not so with a bare shaft. Unless the bow is in tune and one's form is near perfect, a bullet hole is impossible with a bare shaft.

There are many good tuning methods, but some give more accurate results than others.

(Easton's paper tuning method at 3 and 10 feet with a fletched shaft and their "bare shaft" tuning are not the bare shaft through paper tuning that I speak of.)

10-Jun-16
Is it possible to get a perfect hole at all distances? Say you adjust to get a perfect hole at 5 yards then move back to 10 yards. You adjust to get a perfect hole. What would the tear look like if you went back into 5 yards? I would think it won't be perfect because you have made changes. Seems like you could chase your tail.

Just asking cause I'm curious. I have never walk back paper tuned. I have always just got a bullet hole at 6-10 feet then moved into BH/FT grouping together tuning. I do not index my spine either.

10-Jun-16
Not an issue. Usually VERY minor adjustment, if any, are needed beyond 10 yards. Additional range just ampliphies the tear to show any need for additional adjustment. If your bow is already very finely tuned you can start at 20 yards, however, I recommend starting no further than 10 yards. Your form and tune may not be as good as you think.

The only bad thing about this method is that it requires near perfect form. Tears can be due to form rather than the tune. You should take 3-5 shots and get consistent tears before making the appropriate adjustment.

Bad form affects all tuning methods, but this method is more sensitive than the others.

10-Jun-16
Nothing subjective about it. That is the goal, my criteria. I stated there are other ways to tune and achieve it. But if your broadheads are not hitting to the same point as FP it is not tuned IMO. The FP is the control in the test. It doesn't much care how it's launched if within some reasonable range. The Broadhead OTOH.... it always tells the truth. Tune so the broadhead matches the control and you're there.

That is the test if you will. Get there any way you wish. But no matter how great one thinks their arrow flight is if that criteria isn't met... it's not tuned well enough. If your method produces that end.... good to go. If not....

I like to use the biggest broadhead I have at hand, normally a big old original snuffer. Once that is dialed in I have yet to find a head that doesn't hit to the same point inside 50 yards or so. I'll have two or three different broadheads in my quiver sometimes. Doesn't matter which I shoot.

10-Jun-16
Agree 100% with TD, although we strive for the same result using different methods.

I've owned more bows than I should probably admit to over the years. Let's just say it's passed double digits a couple times over. ;-)

I have never done anything other than paper tune. I've never walked backed, I've never bare fletched, I've never BH tuned, or anything else. I've always figured if I can get a bullet hole at 6', 12', 5yds, 10yds, and 20 yds, that tells me my arrow is flying pretty darn straight. If my arrows are flying pretty darn straight, that means that my BH should fly same as my field tips. So far, that's been the case. Hell, maybe I've just been lucky. However, that luck's served me well for over 30yrs, so I can live with that. As TD says, doesn't matter what road we take as long as we get to our intended destination. If not, better take a different road.

11-Jun-16
Geeze, I leave for a week and we finally get a topic of interest, and I am late to the party.

Skimming through this thread it seems most posters are correct and debating semantics. Here's my take:

First off, the water float method does not work. That method only finds the side with the most resin. Resin doesn't make the arrow stiff, the carbon fibers soaked in resin make the arrow stiff. (Four inches of concrete with two layers of rebar is stronger than six inches without rebar). The only real way to mark the stiff side is with a spine tester. I made my own out of a $20 dial indicator. Take your dozen bare shafts, find the stiff side, excluding any shafts that are not within your own parameters of consistency with the other shafts. Once you have them all marked, take one or two to the range and shoot them through paper at increments out to 20 or so yards. Tune and adjust your bow until you have the smallest tear you can. Now, turn the nock until your bow finds the smallest tear in those arrows. At this point you have found where YOUR bow with YOU shooting likes to have the stiff side of the shaft located. Fletch accordingly and proceed to broad head tuning.

FWIW, not all carbon shafts are wrapped in layers like the pencil drawing posted earlier. My favorite shafts are made with a cross-weave carbon thread. Instead of wrapping "cloth" around the mandrel, the carbon thread is wrapped much like the line on your bait casting fishing reels. This method eliminates the starting and stopping points shown in that illustration.

One of the reasons I started using Carbon Tech arrows was that they used the cross-weave method that I prefer. And unlike the other companies using that method, CT does not "grind" their shafts smooth after coming out of the machine, exposing carbon fibers. Most of the time, I am unable to determine a "stiff side" of CT shafts.

11-Jun-16

Wood's embedded Photo
Wood's embedded Photo
This seems to work for me. I compression test my shafts before I fletch them. All you need is a bar clamp. I wrap masking tape around the shaft so I can mark which way the arrow bends. (The stiff side will always be 90 degrees away from the weak plane) I fletch with the side that bends out to the left, so the stiff plane is vertical. Key is to put inserts and field points in both ends before compression test. Once marked you can spin the arrow and recheck. It will always bend toward the mark. Also you must do this with the arrow vertical or gravity could affect the results.

12-Jun-16
=D

I used to buy my CTs through x-man....

Anyone with any info if the newer overseas built CT models are the same quality as the old made in USA models were?

Wood that is an interesting test. Makes sense. Although it may not give exact location of the "stiff" spine as you're right, it could be 180 across, I'd bet just having it aligned on one plane would be enough.

12-Jun-16
Be curious how many people pick up on this spine orientation discussion and start incorporating it into their arrow & bow setup. I know I will. Probably drive myself crazy.

12-Jun-16
You have a good idea, however, your test will be influenced by how parallel the clamp faces are, your ability to place the points perfectly inline with the clamping force and the concentricity of the arrow's components.

YouTube and the Internet has some good and cheap ideas.

Just curious, which side are you marking as the stiff side, the concave side or the convex side?

12-Jun-16
TD,

They have the same machines overseas that were used here. When the production was sent over, they literally packed up the US plant and shipped it over. The difference is, now the plant can run 24/7/365 for about the same cost as the single shift did here operating on a normal schedule. What I don't know, is if the operators have the same attention to QC.

When the plant was here, I threw away one bad shaft for every 20 dozen or so. Seems like now, there is one "flier" in about every 5 dozen. With most of the flaws coming in the ends. If you have enough length to remove an inch from each end, you shouldn't have any "fliers".

I still have two dozen shafts on hand, and when those are gone I'll have to start paying retail like everyone else. :(

12-Jun-16
Purdue The convex and concave sides are both in the weak plane. The stiff plane is always at 90 degrees to the weak plane, therefore I fletch with the convex side of the arrow horizontally to the left.

12-Jun-16
When fishing rods are built, they too find the spine of the blank before installing the guides. They claim the stiff side is the outside (convex) of the bend.

I wonder why arrows and fishing rods alway bend in the same direction. If the weak plane is in-line with the convex and concave bend, why doesn't the arrow and rod show an equal tendance to bend both direction along that "weak" plane? They don't, they alway want to bend in the same direction. In fact, the outside (convex side) seems to shows the most resistance to bending. So I would call it the stiff side.

12-Jun-16
Spike and Wood, I agree that the inside of the bend would be the weakest, but how did you find the stiffest?

You both agree that the stiffest spine is 90 degrees to the weakest plane, but did you go 90 clockwise or counter clockwise?

The shaft always bends in the same direction. What you mark as the weak side is consistently the weak side. Right? So the opposite side, in the weak plane, must be stronger than the weakest side. You are saying that this side that is 180 degrees from the weakest side it's not the strongest side, however, logic says that it must be stronger than the weakest side.

So does the strongest plane (the one 90 degrees to the weakest plane) also contain 2 different strengths? How did you determine which side is the strongest in the strong plane?

13-Jun-16
Mostly I'm just trying to get shaft to shaft consistent reaction at release. I don't know if I'm fletching with the stiff side up or down but it should be the same on all my arrows if I always have the convex side of the compression test bend out to the left.

13-Jun-16
When you shoot through paper it doesn't matter which side is weak or strong. You just rotate untill you get the least amont of tear. Afterall, that is what is really important. The orentation that gives the truest arrow flight.

The same goes for tuning your bow. You want arrow flight that is free from porpoising and fishtailing. Only slowmotion photography or shooting through paper actually shows proof of the trueness of the arrow's flight. Broadhead tuning only shows that the broadhead tipped arrows are grouping with fieldtip arrows. It does not show the actual trueness of the flight. That you are just assuming.

13-Jun-16
"Its clear many misunderstood my posts on water indexing/matching a batch of shafts. "

I understood that you think the heavy side is the stiff side. It is not. By using both the water float test, AND an actual spine tester on the same dozen shafts, the marks don't line up. So what you are finding by floating in water is only the heavy(weight) side of the shaft, not necessarily the stiff side.

14-Jun-16
I agree with you Purdue. When I get all my arrows punching a bullet hole through paper at 5 or 6 yards, I'm done.

14-Jun-16
How would a broadhead not launch well and not be tuned if it hit to the same point as a FP, which care little how they launch as they plane very little? Tuned would be the point at which the air they catch at release has the least influence on not only it's flight, but on where it impacts. FP lie. They shoot with the very least amount of plane and fletching requires a minimal effort to stabilize. FBBHs.... they always tell the cold hard truth. Be it equipment or form.

In what way would a FBBH be considered launched perfectly if it DIDN'T hit with the FP? What you are getting is decent flight once the fletching stabilized the arrow off the bow. But the head is catching some air at release and starting to plane right off.

I have yet to use (as in ever) any tuning method to rough tune and then finish fine tuning using the broadhead method... and not still have perfect results with the previous method used... including paper, bare shaft, walk back, etc. Nor has any grouping opened up when finished broadhead tuning. But when I was done I could screw on pretty much any quality broadhead and they would all hit together. And right with the FP.

IMO, for bowhunting/fbbh, that's tuned. I've read the grouping theories held by some target archers, but they are not shooting broadheads. Much less a variety of heads, including FP and judo heads.

Again, much of this whole spine indexing thing (in a modern compound bow) can be reduced to near irrelevance using a spine on the stiff end (or higher) of what the "chart" recommends. The less an arrow flexes at launch the less importance any "indexing" will have. With modern compounds the whole idea is to eliminate flexing as much as possible.

Trad is much different, where you tune arrows to a bow which is very limited as to it's adjustments and have a finger release to deal with. The right arrow build likely more important than the bow. I remember building wooden arrows back when, that is actually where indexing was at it's most important level, right after separating shafts as to general spine, no two shafts being close to exactly the same in nearly any way. Much less of a problem with carbon, but still the potential for an issue as you will normally have a good deal more induced flex as you tune your flex to the bow.

Compounds you should be using an arrow that essentially eliminates the shaft as a variable and adjusting/tuning the bow components to shoot that arrow with as little induced flex (or nock travel both vertical and horizontal) as possible. That is your "perfect" broadhead launch within the capability of your equipment and form. Tuned.

14-Jun-16
"How would a broadhead not launch well and not be tuned if it hit to the same point as a FP, which care little how they launch as they plane very little?"

It's that phrase "hit to the same point" is a big part of the problem. Everyone says that, but they don't. What really happens is you shoot a group. If you shoot a 3 shot group and determine it's center, it won't be at the same point as if you shoot a 5 shot group. And that center won't be the same as a 20 shot group. Each will be a little different and the bigger the sample size the more accurate the results. So the accuracy of the tune varies with number of shots in the groups.

"FP lie. They shoot with the very least amount of plane and fletching requires a minimal effort to stabilize."

Yet this is the flight that you try to duplicate??? Why would you do that? That "minimal effort to stablize" is a sign something is wacky. You are tuning to a "control" or "standard" that required stabilization.

Broadhead tuning is great, just not the best. After you BH tune remove the fletching from on one of your arrows and shoot it through paper at 20 yards. Replace the weight of the fletching with masking tape if you want. See how true your flight really is.

The real message here is to use some form of tuning. They all work just fine. Don't just slap on a broadhead go hunting.

19-Jun-16
Been turning nocks and it is helping a LOT. Of course, now I've got my cock vanes all over the place, but key holing is way down. Next onto BH's. I bet there's a lot of merit to buying a couple dozen shafts, weighing them, figuring out all the spine directions, and THEN fletching them eh? How many bow shops are doing that for customers? The place I bought them from they were already fletched. Would you bowshop owners let a customer shoot a bunch of uncut arrows to get consistent cock vanes? Probably not. Might be time to learn fletching.

Next onto BH's and serious distance walk back tuning. The 3D league will never be the same.

20-Jun-16
"I bet there's a lot of merit to buying a couple dozen shafts, weighing them, figuring out all the spine directions, and THEN fletching them eh? How many bow shops are doing that for customers? "

I used to do that for my customers @ $2 per arrow. Not as many as you would think took me up on it. It took a couple hours extra per dozen shafts on average. Most guys thought it was a rip-off, even at $12 an hour.

It would be better if guys would learn to do it themselves. I/we never came out ahead by pre-fletching arrows anyway. I would have preferred to sell bare shafts to everyone. That would have saved me at least two hours each night.

21-Jun-16
"Yet this is the flight that you try to duplicate?"Why yes, exactly it is.

So your groups don't hit together?.... you reconcile that exactly how?

Why not? They should. Or what do you do? I would say if they don't it is you that have the problem and are compensating for them not grouping together. "Just sight in for broadheads" is right in the same realm as "just screw on a mech head..don't worry about it...."

I'm good to 70 no matter what I screw on to the shaft. Two animals over 60 this year. Shoot FPs for practice. Shoot a FBBH group once a week or so to make sure things are still good. But been a slow year, only killing animal a month or so.... 4 deer this year. I bowhunt every week. All year.

I understand the physics debated and how "exactly" you make your case. If you want to discus micrometers that's all well and good. I get it, drag and coefficients, but fractions of aerodynamic differences matter little for dialed in broadhead accuracy. If I'm 1/4 inch off because of aerodynamics at 45 yards I can live wit it.

I like to discus animals on the ground. Classroom esoterics I have no interest in. I get the theory, in some classroom setting debating over fractions of an inch. But it has no relevance WRT to killing things with sharp stick. Unless of course you have some real world, in the field physics to go over?

So how do you dial it in to kill things in the field? Your groups do not come together? Why not with less than hooter shooter accuracy? I'd say you weren't tuned as how would they not given "perfect"tuning?

How else would you reconcile the physics that they DON'T group together? Leaving your micrometer at home...

22-Jun-16
But spike, if the stiffest side bends the least, then it has to be 90 degrees to the side that bends the most. The convex side is bending and the concave side is bending. the sides that are 90 degrees to the bend are not bending at all.

24-Jun-16
I would tend to agree with Spike Bull - the side that is strongest should not want to elongate/stretch when the arrow is bowed. The weakest side will bend the most (side that bows out) and the other areas of spine would bow less, with the strongest side being the one that is on the inside of the curve.

However, I too shoot Carbon Tech per X-Man and although never attempted extensive measurements, could not detect a differential spine.

Randy Ulmer wrote an article several years ago in which he likes to try to "force" the arrows to all begin flexing in the same direction for consistency. He ties a nock point inside and at the bottom of his D-Loop so that the string puts a downward pressure on his rest at full draw. He said he felt that it helped all arrows begin to flex in the same direction upon release/load, thereby giving more consistent launch and arrow flight.

Carl

24-Jun-16

"But spike, if the stiffest side bends the least, then it has to be 90 degrees to the side that bends the most. The convex side is bending and the concave side is bending. the sides that are 90 degrees to the bend are not bending at all. "

I'm sorry, but that has to be the dumbest statement on Bowsite since TBM left.

When an arrow shaft bends, EVERY side bends. Every single molecule around the circumference of the shaft is moving.

24-Jun-16
All it would take to settle this would be for someone to test a dozen arrows with the clamp/compression method. Then take the same dozen arrows and check them on a spine checker. It should be apparent if it is 90 degrees or 180.

I took my spine checker apart and repurposed the dial and frame simply because it became an unnecessary step.

If the clamp method was consistent, I can see marking the shafts and fletching the cockfeather matching on all of them But I would still rotate nocks on flyers.

25-Jun-16
I loved CT shafts as well. I did see QC diminish some when they mov d overseas to China. There is a new shaft out on the market that I really like called Element Arrows. They also use a cross weave and I have had excellent results with them as well as some other arrow shaft experts I know. They act stiffer than marked. They have two sizes available. Standard and .204 size.

25-Jun-16
Understanding the mechanics of materials would do some on here some good. When bending a shaft, one side of the shaft is in compression and the opposite side is in tension. The resin doesn't make the shaft stronger, it is only the binder that holds the carbon fibers together which is what gives the arrow it's strength. More weight means more "wall thickness" which means more material overall. That makes a stiffer side.

I used to worry about indexing spine, but it doesn't really matter that much. A bow in sync matters more.

'Nuff said.

25-Jun-16
You are correct, it was mentioned close to the beginning of this thread, maybe 1/3 of the way into it.

The carbon fibers are still either in tension or compression, regardless of a weave or rolled pattern. But to say that the side of an arrow that has more weight doesn't mean more rigidity isn't necessarily correct either.

Something in the case as a rolled shaft would have more material at one spot than any other place, structurally, a "strongback". That would give a higher rigidity for the arrow, aka, spine.

26-Jun-16
The Easton FMJ injections I'm shooting. They are very tight tolerances. It's hard for me to find the stiff side of them using the ram indexer. They shoot great

26-Jun-16

Purdue's embedded Photo
Purdue's embedded Photo
"More weight means more "wall thickness" which means more material overall. That makes a stiffer side."

More material is just part of it. The shape of the material has just as much to do with its stiffness.

Also the material's compression modulus vs tension modulus is a factor. Carbon composite's tension modulus is about 10 times its compression modulus.

In the drawing i found on the net, i believe bending about the X axis would be more rigid than about the Y axis.

26-Jun-16
I've been shooting the Easton Axis shafts for about five years now and I have two dozen finished arrows right now. That will last me awhile.

But next time I buy a dozen shafts, I'll cut 1/2" from each end. Then using a ball bearing, of about 3/8" diameter, on each end, I'll "compression" test each one. The ball bearing will stay concentric on the ends of the shaft and the perfectly round shape should impart no bias, from the compression device, to any direction. The compression device should also have hard, metal surfaces.

It would make sense to me, that if you have shafts that CONSISTENTLY "hump" the same way. to fletch so that the shaft flexed up away from the rest. And certainly not to one side or the other.

Sound reasonable?

26-Jun-16
Rod, sounds like a very legitimate test, and the proper orientation of the weak(est) spine. Knowing how you cut and true your shaft ends on a lathe should take that variable out of the equation as well. Kurt

26-Jun-16
Ambush, you still need to insure that the compressive forces at each end are directly opposing each other. If they are not, you could get bogus results. Much easier to build a simple spine tester using a dial indicator or calipers. Google "arrow spine tester.

26-Jun-16
Thanks Purdue. As I said earlier, I had a spine checker for years, but after checking many Axis arrows, I concluded that I was wasting my time. I shot Beemans for a number of years and did find enough variation to make it worthwhile [I think]. I'm not a good enough shot to realize any advantage from the "extreme" edge I might gain from checking the Axis.

As for end loading the shafts, I can use the lathe chuck and live center. That should be about as accurate as possible. And I don't think gravity would have a measurable effect on the result. But that is easily tested to.

Also, I wonder if the compression test would better simulate a dynamic spine?

26-Jun-16
I didn't realize that you were using a lathe. I thought you were using that clamp. A lathe should work. It should somewhat simulate a dynamic situation too. However, I still feel that actually shooting the arrows is the only way to expose them to the actual forces that could cause a flex not seen in a controled test.

26-Jun-16
Purdue; I agree on shooting them as the final test. That's all I do now. It's hard to pick out the very odd flyer because they are never off by much. And if re-squaring both ends doesn't fix the problem, then I rotate the nock. Can't remember the last time I had a cull arrow.

But this is interesting and thought provoking entertainment between spring bear and fall hunting.

26-Jun-16
"In the drawing i found on the net, i believe bending about the X axis would be more rigid than about the Y axis."

Although the drawing is exaggerated for an arrow, it illustrates the point that more material on one side can cause it to be the stiffest part of the shaft, assuming the manufacture was rolled.

If more material causes more weight, I would conclude that floating an arrow is a method that can be used to show which side may be the stiffest. Is it as accurate as a spine tester? No, it is not.

26-Jun-16
"But this is interesting and thought provoking entertainment between spring bear and fall hunting."

Yes it is interesting to overthink this stuff. It dosen't make a dimes worthof difference to most people.

"Although the drawing is exaggerated for an arrow, it illustrates the point that more material on one side can cause it to be the stiffest part of the shaft, assuming the manufacture was rolled."

Not necesarily. As I said, it depends on the shape of the material too. In other words, where the material is located in relation to the bending axis. The arrow will flex about an axis that goes through the centroid of the plane of the cross sectional shape, not necessarily the diameter of the OD or ID. The material that is located furthest from this axis has a greater effect on the moment of inertia than material close to the axis.

Therefore, in the above drawing, I believe bending about the X axis would be more rigid than about the Y axis, because of the location of the majority of the material. Just like a 2x4 is more rigid when placed on edge to the load rather that flat to the load like a diving board.

26-Jun-16
Think we're pretty much saying the same thing...as you say, overthinking this. You (generic sense) always miss the finite in trying to keep it simple for discussion sakes.

27-Jun-16
"Although the drawing is exaggerated for an arrow, it illustrates the point that more material on one side can cause it to be the stiffest part of the shaft, assuming the manufacture was rolled."

HDE, I don't know if we agree or not. You say the side with the more material is stiffest, but you don't say which direction that you assume the load is coming from.

In the illustration above, is the shaft more rigid when loaded vertically or when loaded horizontally?

27-Jun-16
Arrow should be loaded on the third, or z axis relative to the illustration. Deflection will still occur, but will it naturally want to deflect in the plane perpendicular to the stiff side, or y axis?

27-Jun-16
So you are going to answer a question with a question.

Just a one word answer is all that is needed to my question....vertical or horizontal.

27-Jun-16
Rigidity is independent of any side loading force. To answer your question, the arrow would tend to resist deflection more if loaded parallel to the thickest section, or x axis, as you stated.

27-Jun-16
Ermine, how much do you charge per arrow? :)

I feel I'm more thorough than your average bowhunter getting my stuff dialed in, but dang, there's always that guy that makes you feel like you're not doing much.

I've always just bought 2 dozen arrows at a time, shot them all repeatedly, and picked out my favorites for hunting.

27-Jun-16
You guys are crazy!

27-Jun-16
No more than anyone else!

Food plots, underwear, backpacks, manscaping, it's all relative. Take your pick.

27-Jun-16
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't finding the stiff side! No food plots though and manscaping is minimal........

28-Jun-16
"I'm sorry, but that has to be the dumbest statement on Bowsite since TBM left." X man, it seems you like to be the smartest man in the room, but sometimes your just a smart ass. Like Purdue mentioned, in terms that maybe you can understand, if you put a 2X4 under pressure, it will bend, and I guarantee you the stiffest side of that board is 90 degrees to the way it bends. I just checked this out to see if I was mistaken. I marked a couple shafts with my compression tester and marked the way they bent. Put them on my homemade spine tester and guess what. While not perfectly 90 degrees to the marks, the stiff side was very close to 90 degrees from the mark.

28-Jun-16
Wood nailed it on all counts. In my illustration the shaft would be stiffest vertically and weakest horizontally.

28-Jun-16
WHY? I know and I am friends with the winner of the worlds in vegas and I assure you he never tuned for the stiffer side of his arrows. Seems like a waste of time to me. Shawn

28-Jun-16
It's more important when a broadhead is up front, but even then may not make much of a difference. How much it helps depends upon several factors like arrow stiffnes, broadhead surfaces area, quallity of the arrows (concentricity of ID to OD, staightness, etc) and how well one shoots in the first place.

28-Jun-16
Spike, you may be right; it's hard for me to follow these verbal descriptions, especially when they don't include the direction in which the material is being loaded.

The column loading of an arrow, when shot from a bow is not as precise as loading it between centers in a lathe. A bow may also induces vertical and horizontal forces due to nock travel and cam lean. Besides, in reality, we never know where the thick spot or thin spot is or the actual direction(s) of the loading that is placed on the material as it leaves the bow.

For all I know the carbon fiber mat may start as a parallelogram or trapezoid. The edges would then spiral as it is wrapped around the mandrel. Because of all the unkowns is why actual shooting of the arrow is important if you really want to know if indexing the spine has any benefit or not.

28-Jun-16
Wood, go back and re-read what you wrote.

You said "the sides 90 degrees to the bend are not bending at all"

That is the part of the statement that made me laugh out loud and spit my beer. I hope to God that was a typo, because only TBM would be that dumb.

P.S. Grampa always said "It's better to be a smart a$$ than a dumb a$$" and don't worry, I'm quite used to being the smartest one in the room ;)

28-Jun-16
Now it's getting deep, real deep...

28-Jun-16
X man, if you were to put a perfectly flat plate against either side of the arrow that is 90 degrees to the bend, it would contact the arrow at all points. (Straight) So I guess your saying that the plane of the y axis which is 90 degrees to the plane of the x axis ( the axis that bends) bends but is still perfectly straight. hmm

29-Jun-16
Ya know, for being a group of folks who are generally pretty religious, bowhunters sure do discuss a lot of Theoretical Physics.

29-Jun-16
And how many actually have studied it rather than reading a few articles on the internet or bowhunting magazines, or just sit around the pro shop discussing what they think is happening (after reading their articles)?

29-Jun-16
Wood, So you're saying if I glue four strings down the length of an arrow shaft, 90 degrees apart from one another, and then bend the arrow.... only two of them are going to bend???? WOW!

29-Jun-16
X man I didn't say that at all. I'm saying 2 sides will stay in the same straight plane they were in to begin with. Maybe another example will help you figure it out. If a ship sails from Seattle, straight to Hawaii. It's path was straight in one plane but not in the perpendicular plane. (curvature of the earth). And... a little less arrogance would be great.

29-Jun-16
That's exactly what you wrote though. I even gave you a second chance to claim it was a typo.

FWIW, if the "stiff side" of the front half of the shaft is the "weak side" of the back half of the shaft, it will twist as it bends. So NO, there isn't [always] one straight plane.

30-Jun-16
Most people could have seen, I was talking about x and y axis planes, but apparently you were so excited for the chance to put someone down, you missed that. I do realize every arrow is unique, and there are exceptions to the rule. My purpose here is not to win arguments. It's to add positive input to help people to be better archers and hunters. I hope grandpa taught you something like that as well.

30-Jun-16
Grampa also taught me about the pot and kettle. Find a mirror. ;)

30-Jun-16
It's debates like this that make me wish Pat had taken up golf instead of bowhunting:)

30-Jun-16
For those of you who have a Ram spine tester, have you used it in connection with FMJ's and if so, are you happy with the results?

30-Jun-16
Wood said: "But spike, if the stiffest side bends the least, then it has to be 90 degrees to the side that bends the most. The convex side is bending and the concave side is bending. the sides that are 90 degrees to the bend are not bending at all."

I think the problem is Wood isn't saying exactly what he means. I THINK what he means is that the "sides" are not being bent in a plane or direction that tests their rigidity. They are only being bent in the weakest plane and in only one direction in that plane.

Kind of like column loading a 2x4. It will always bend in the direction of a 4" side, but that does not mean the the opposite 4" side offers the most resistance to flexing for it too was bending. It just had more resistance than the other.

30-Jun-16
^^^That's what I got out of Wood's post(s) as well. Pretty simple really if you just read what he wrote without trying to automatically discredit it.

Now, as far as a shaft twisting as in a post above, I don't buy that one....

30-Jun-16
Spike, the bottom line is to try to get consistent reaction at release from one arrow to the next. That's why I've been using the compression test (with excellent results). If you build all your arrows with the bend pointing in the same direction, that's a good starting point.

01-Jul-16
"......it is reasonable to expect the stiffest side to be the inside of the arched arrow."

Why is it reasonable?

01-Jul-16
Why not just put the arrow between two supports on either end and hang a weight from the middle. Rotate the shaft and see if one side is stiffer? If so mark the low spot.

01-Jul-16
Quote Wood: "..the bottom line is to try to get consistent reaction at release from one arrow to the next. ......If you build all your arrows with the bend pointing in the same direction, that's a good starting point."

After all the in depth discussion, postulation, speculation and even some accusation, I think Wood has nailed the practical take-away from it all.

If you can reliably predict which way your arrow will "hump", then it stands to reason that you can mitigate for at least one of the variables that archers encounter.

I just may check a dozen of my finished arrows and mark them. Then see if rotating nocks for that orientation tightens up groups.

02-Jul-16
Mad trapper- like I mentioned before the Easton FMJ have such high tolerances it's fairly tough for me to even find the stiff side of the arrow using my ram spine tester.

03-Jul-16
At the advice of my pro shop staffer, I upgraded to GT pro hunters. MUCH better results in terms of arrow flight consistency than with standard GT's. Is it spine, arrow trueness, whatever? Don't know, but walking the nocks around the clock was leaving me wondering which way was up. Better quality arrows helps.

05-Jul-16
I don't understand, that,s why I asked. Terms like "hump", "bends more", "sides" (of a round object), "stiffer side" are not clear to me in the way you are using them.

The inside of the bend is the smallest radius of all the material that is being bent. Therefore I would think that it would be the one that "bends more", because it does. Why would the stiffest side, which you claim is on the inside of the bend, want to "bend more"?

05-Jul-16
Bob- That's a "Target guy's" tune not a "Hunting" tune. The two are VERY different applications, and guys that are trying to get field points and broadheads to group together will NEVER accomplish that tuning for a tear. JS- And of course I spine index all my arrows for hunting, and for tournaments...

06-Jul-16
If by "bending up" you mean the middle of the shaft rises up vertically away from the floor, the inside radius of the flexed shaft (nearest the floor) bends more.

An arrow that is bent over the outside of a car tire sees more stress than if it were bent over a tractor tire because it is "bent more" by the car tire.

If you bend a pencil a little it will flex. If you continue to "bend it more"., thereby decreasing the radius of the bend, it will break.

The smaller the radius that the material is bent, the more stress the material will see. Therefore the inside of the bend of any material "bends more" than the material on the outside of the bend.

06-Jul-16
When doing metal work, if I bend a round [or square] tube into an arc. the "inside" compress and the outside "stretches" and the two "sides" stay the original length. Depending on the material and the end use I will sometimes heat the inside so it compresses easier, thereby not stretching the material on the outside of the bend and losing strength. Sometimes I heat the outside if strength is of less consideration than appearance. And sometimes I just let physics dictate.

Some folks seem to be confusing tensile and compression, using them interchangeably. When actually both forces are at work here but on opposite sides of the shaft.

At this point I'm willing to accept Wood's "compression" principle and application as it is physically demonstrable and easily applied to possibly enhance consistent arrow launch.

06-Jul-16
I tried the compression test myself today. It was fairly obvious that a bar clamp wouldn't put exact opposing force so I was skeptical from the start. Having already marked the shaft by using my spine checker, it turned out that my marked side was not in line with either of the bends. However, as I turned the shaft in the clamp, the same side was always the apex of the bend radius(maybe there is something to this after all I thought).

I had an insert with a field point in each end as per Woods instructions, but when I spin-checked the shaft, there was a slight wobble at the point of each end(darn field points aren't perfect). ... So I spun the inserts 180 degrees in the shaft, and wouldn't ya know, the high point of the bend moved to the other side of the shaft.

Disclaimer: I was testing Carbon Tech shafts, so there may not be as much of a difference between the stiff side and the weak side on these.

06-Jul-16
Crooked field tips could definitely alter the results as could having the arrows not centered on the clamp pads or not having the arrow perpendicular to gravity. If the arrow has a bend in it before the test, that would also tend to make it bend that way. I also run my arrow squaring device on both ends before putting the inserts in with the shortest field points I have. I just rechecked my two test arrows to see if I could make them bend in a different direction. I couldn't rotate the field points on the front end as I have no raw shafts, but I did rotate the points on the back end and could not make them bend in any way other than what I originally marked them. Don't know if this is scientifically sound or not but I guess I'll keep using this method till something better and as simple comes around.

06-Jul-16
Pretty hard to make a crooked field point. The culprit is the Chines insert and the .010 clearance between it's id and the fp shank. Squaring the face of the insert does nothing for runout or concentricity between the two parts. The two faces can be parallel to each other but centerlines are offset by over .005".

07-Jul-16
Try spinning all the field tips in a new package on the same arrow sometime. If they're like the ones I've had every pack will have a few that wobble, if just a little.

07-Jul-16
Because your screwing them into an insert that doesn't have the capability to hold the point concentric to the bore. Stick a 1/4" screw into a 5/16 hole and tell me how straight the screw is. Doesn't matter how many times you square up the plate the 1/4 screw is gunna shift.

07-Jul-16
The outside material of a bend is stretched more, but not bent more. The inside compresses more than the outside, but so what. Stretching vs compressing does not determine the extent of the bend.

If a 1.57 foot long tube is bent around a 1 foot radius it will undergo about a 90 degree bend.

If the same tube is bent around a 6" radius it will undergo about a 180 degree bend. 180 is more than 90 so the smaller radius bend is "more of a bend".

Smaller radii give more of a bend. It's more in degrees and it's more in stress, so it's more of a bend.

07-Jul-16
Casey Jones...

• Sitka Gear