Ibow 11-Jun-16
SteveB 11-Jun-16
Ibow 11-Jun-16
Ibow 11-Jun-16
SteveB 11-Jun-16
Ibow 12-Jun-16
SteveB 12-Jun-16
10-Jun-16
Can possibly do a few days to a week in late June with my 16 year old grandson. Any recommendations for anything available within driving distance? Would like lodging and boat motor and of course good fishing. We are in Northeast Ohio.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

10-Jun-16
Lake erie.

10-Jun-16
Thanks but was thinking something like Ontario fishing lake with cabin and small boat. Erie can swallow you whole if you don't have the right gear.

10-Jun-16
Check with Viking Outposts in Red Lake, Ontario. They occasionally have an opening/cancellation. Not sure how far that is for you.

Fly in outposts. Bring your own food, sleeping bag, fishing gear. Do your own cooking, etc.We have used them for the past 30+ years. Good people.

11-Jun-16
TTT

11-Jun-16
Steve, how far north are you willing to go?

11-Jun-16
Well I am willing to drive a day, but would prefer 6-7 hours. I could fly if airports nearby then float plane?

11-Jun-16
Ok. No, I'm not thinking about somewhere THAT far.

A few years back, we went to a place north of Thesaalon which is a little ways east of the Sault. We went north from there a couple hours. It was terrific.

I will see some of my family members tomorrow and I'll ask if any of them remember the name of the place. Pretty remote. You went to the guys house and then he boated you (with you following along in additional boats) to cabins that were quite remote along this lake/river system. We had a great time. Pike, walleye, perch & smallmouths. I think we went during the 4th of July week.

11-Jun-16
Steve, it's a little further than what I thought. Here's the place we went - http://www.campmissanabie.com/doglakefishinglodge.htm

Unfortunately, most of the time I've spent bear/moose hunting and fishing in Ontario has been in NW Ontario. Way to the north and way to the west.

Sorry about that! I thought it would be a much easier drive for you.

11-Jun-16
Ibow, thanks for this suggestion! It's a little far for a few days but You will be surprised to hear that I shot my first bear staying on Dog lake about 30 years ago! My father-in-law was with me and we fished all day before hunting , catching 75-100 walleyes and some smallmouth every day. What a great memory!! Of all the places amazed that you suggested it. Too cool :)

12-Jun-16
That's crazy Steve. Yeah, was prob close to 30 years ago when we were there to. Great place and lots of fun. Brings back lots of memories and congrats on your first bear! 8~)

Again, sorry about that. I think I got messed up with my trips. We went through Thessalon a couple of years on the way towards eastern Ontario where we hunted a few years. When we went to Dog Lake, it was north out of the Sault.

12-Jun-16
Ibow .....Yes, it's too far for a few days unless I could find a cheap commercial flight close. On a side note, my father-in-law has since passed and that trip is a highlight among my many memories with him. He didn't have a son and always treated me like his own flesh and blood. Still miss that guy a bunch. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Sitka Gear