otcWill 19-Jun-16
otcWill 19-Jun-16
otcWill 19-Jun-16
lineman21 19-Jun-16
otcWill 19-Jun-16
19-Jun-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
I thought I'd reach out to my Bowsite family in hopes of getting some suggestions on upland bird hunting opportunities for my father. He's lived his entire life of 78 years in NJ and is moving out to CO next month. His absolute passion is watching his English Setters do their thing in the uplands. We've hunted pheasants here in CO a good bit but honestly, its easier for me to kill elk sometimes in CO than it is to kill a few roosters on public land. It has also involved days of walking 10+ miles which my old man isn't up to. I thought seriously about going with an outfitter but they all seem WAY too pricey for this carpenter. That said, I would love to hear any ideas on public opps or affordable trespass fees in KS, NE, SD, or ND. I'd be glad to return the favor with advice on any bigame in CO or WY. Thanks in advance and happy Father's Day!

19-Jun-16
Will, I would suggest a bird ranch where they release pen raised birds. There are a few along the front range as well as in the Ft Collins area.

Not wild birds but the hunt surely will be of less stress on your dad and he will still get a few shots and be able to watch the dogs work.

While you and your dad will know they are not wild birds, the dogs will not know and you will have a good time near home and have some guaranteed shots with less money spent than driving to eastern Colorado, Kansas or South Dakota.

Cost is usually 15-20 dollars a bird.

my best, Paul

19-Jun-16
I appreciate your input Paul. We do a bunch of preserve training but we don't really consider it hunting. Telling him to do a canned hunt would be akin to telling you to hang up your bow and use a rifle or telling sito to sit over a pile of bait :). The guy is as much a wild bird snob as you and I are archery snobs. I'm going to take him on an out of state adventure that will hopefully result in some wild birds. Going for a road trip will be half the fun. Any other suggestions would be great!

19-Jun-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Suggestions?? Maybe I should bring Chase along????????????????????

19-Jun-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Both you and Chase are welcome to come Paul! Though, I promise you, lack of superb bird dogs won't be a problem for us ;)

Good to see ya this morning!

19-Jun-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo

19-Jun-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo

19-Jun-16
Will, I'd be happy to set you guys up here in SW Nebraska. We've got awesome numbers of quail. Pheasant numbers are ok but down from the drought years. I'm on mobile so I can't initiate a pm but if you send me one we can talk.

19-Jun-16
Pm sent

• Sitka Gear