Topgun 30-06 24-Jun-16
JD 24-Jun-16
Topgun 30-06 25-Jun-16
JD 27-Jun-16
wyohunter1 28-Jun-16
BULELK1 29-Jun-16
Topgun 30-06 29-Jun-16
24-Jun-16
Asking for helpful information about WY unit 36 Mule deer hunting? Any info will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

24-Jun-16
Deer are few and far between in that unit and that's why it's had a short season with antler restrictions and no doe hunting on the Region M tag until this year when it was made LQ with tags only good for there. If you want to hunt an area that is wide open for the most part for many miles and you won't be unhappy at not seeing but a handful of deer in a week, go for it as there are always areas where an occasional decent buck can be had. I would certainly not recommend it for archery season though.

24-Jun-16
Thank you for info, would hunting near water be best odds? I'm from MO and this driving around and hunting is totally different from what I do.

25-Jun-16
There is very little water down there other than on the few private parcels around Lysite and Lost Cabin. I was just down through there all the way north to south last Fall and didn't see a deer, but did see some pronghorns on the private places I mentioned. Also, deer don't need water like antelope do, but they will go to it if it's available. I was very surprised at how many tags the G&F allotted when they made it LE this year based on the small number of animals that are there, but my guess is that they figured even if all the tags sold that the kill ratio would be low enough to not cause any harm to the limited population there.

27-Jun-16
Well sounds like I need a lot of luck and gas!! I hunted unit 164 last year, is the terrain similar?

28-Jun-16
There is probably better general region tags leftover.

29-Jun-16
170+ leftover tags in 36......makes ya wonder?

Good luck, Robb

29-Jun-16
From: JD Date: 27-Jun-16 Well sounds like I need a lot of luck and gas!! I hunted unit 164 last year, is the terrain similar?

36 is not nearly the moonscape terrain that the northern half or more of 164 is, but it is certainly very poor deer territory just like the vast share of 164, other than over on the west side on and near the irrigated private land near the river. 164 has always had a 10 day separate season from the other units in Region M to limit hunting due to the limited resource. 36 has always had a short season with a 3 point or better antler restriction until they made it LE this year. It may sell out if people don't do some good research that have never been there before. I'm very familiar with that part of Wyoming because I've hunted that Region since 1994 and every year since 1997. However, if you don't have access to and through private property like we do I would tell anyone to never waste their money on a Region M tag, as well as one for unit 36 now that it is a LE unit on it's own. Just a hint to anyone that wants to hunt deer in Wyoming. The first thing to look at is to see whether there are any doe tags issued and if what people refer to as a "buck tag" is good for just a buck or is for either sex in the unit where you want to hunt. If you see either limitation it clues you that the herd is not doing well and to look somewhere else.

• Sitka Gear