Elkaddict 28-Jun-16
YZF-88 28-Jun-16
BagginBigguns 28-Jun-16
Garbo 28-Jun-16
Rick M 28-Jun-16
Tilzbow 28-Jun-16
Garbo 29-Jun-16
24-Jun-16
I started physical therapy today for a torn labrum which was diagnosed after a year of pain, weakness and discomfort. Note I've dealt with shoulder injuries and three surgeries over the past 25 years and the symptoms of this were familiar so I was trying to work through it on my own but it turned out to be a new injury I haven't had yet.

Injury is hopefully minor, as far as labrum injuries go, and shouldn't (with luck) require surgery. . I will be doing the recommended exercises and PT for the foreseeable future with a goal of being able to shoot soon so I'm ready for elk in mid-Seprtember.

Not looking for a diag on BS, just looking for others with similar injury and your recovery time. FWIW I'm aware post surgery recovery time for a bad case of this can be 6+ months, so I hope it's not that and I'm thinking optimistically...

25-Jun-16
I tore my labrum when I was a junior in high school. Decided to go with the surgery because I was still big into sports. 6 weeks in a sling and probably another 6-8 of PT and I was pretty much back to normal. It definitely didn't stop me from bow hunting that year! Good luck with the injury and do exactly what the doctor/therapist tells you to do.

25-Jun-16
I had one repaired two years ago in February. Easily was ready for August bow hunting.

Having the other shoulder done this year (after all seasons).

25-Jun-16
Had a torn Labrum about 7 years ago. Early spring repair and shooting by mid summer. Easily ready by fall and I was about 50 years old that year. It was my right shoulder and I'm right handed.

25-Jun-16
I had mine done when I was 25 yrs old and was done by scope, that was back in the early 80's. Was done in the spring and was shooting by 68lb recurve by September. Back then very few ortho guys would use a scope for this repair.

25-Jun-16
Thanks for the feedback, it seems I've got a decent shot at being able to shoot in about 6 weeks!

26-Jun-16
I went in for the surgery on the torn labrum only to have the Doc find a 60% bicep tear. He knew my lifestyle, so he saved me another surgery by repairing it as well. However, that put my recovery waaay back. It was 6 months before he would allow me to shoot , and then scar tissue impeded me for another 3. It finally came together at the 8 month mark, but I did drop my bow weight by about 12 lbs from pre surgery days. Good luck with it, I would definately exhaust ALL options before going for the surgery.

I am now 100% pain free in the shoulder, and have about 95% of prior strength in the bicep. The shoulder is not as tight as it once was, but I guess thats the joys of aging. Again, good luck with your recovery.

28-Jun-16
Both of my hip labrum's are tore and will require surgery. Fighting the pain as long as I can before having them done. Good luck!

28-Jun-16
I did the same thing as notags with respect to draw weight. Went from 70 down to 60 and put new limbs on my bow. I've had the bicep tendon in my draw shoulder relocated as well 5 years ago. Labrum surgery was a couple years ago.

Maybe I'm just a pansy but man the shoulder labrum surgery hurt way worse.

Either way, my bow support shoulder is next in line (after archery season of course).

28-Jun-16
I tore mine in spring of 2012 and had it surgically repaired. Recent MRI indicates I've torn it again. I'll see what the doc has to say tomorrow. I'm almost 40 years old. It's not like it used to be.

28-Jun-16
I went in for surgery with a torn labrum about 10 years ago. When the doc got in there he found that the tear was not big, but very ragged, and he could not repair it. He did a decompression on the entire shoulder, cleaned out scare tissue and bone spurs. Recovery time was pretty short since he did not stitch anything on the inside. Shoulder has never been good since, shooting is getting harder all of the time. To much arthritis. If you don't mind me asking, who is doing your surgery? I am from the Reno area also.

28-Jun-16
Tore my left (bow arm) in January of 2009. by the time I went to the ortho I new I drew my Wy elk tag and did not have enough time to bounce back from the surgery if there were any issues. Went the PT route and still have not needed to get it surgically repaired.

28-Jun-16
At this point I'm trying to avoid surgery given the fact it'd be my 8th orthopedic surgery and 3rd on this shoulder. My surgeon in Reno is Norm Young. If PT doesn't work I'll resort to surgery after my elk hunt.

I'm really hoping PT works and Rick's post above helps reinforce that hope.

29-Jun-16
Three on the same shoulder, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid the surgery. When I had mine done it was late September, right after my elk hunt. They had me do PT all the way up to leaving for hunting because they felt it would be better for my recovery. I think that was the best my shoulder ever felt. Makes me wonder if I should have opted for the surgery.

• Sitka Gear