shade mt 10-Jul-16
Arrowflinger 10-Jul-16
Zbone 10-Jul-16
Zbone 31-Jul-16
HDE 31-Jul-16
Charlie Rehor 31-Jul-16
Buffalo1 31-Jul-16
25-Jun-16
While preparing for an elk hunting trip this year, I have tested several broadheads. I have been disappointed on on one or more issues with almost all heads and brands.

First off, most broadheads are about $40 for 3. Wow! I know in the overall cost of the hunt, this is very small, but let's face it -- $13 for a knife of sorts that might just be used once is too much. Demand is obviously good, and all of must be OK with paying this much.

QUALITY -- For that price, the broadheads should be scary sharp. Period. Every blade/Every time. Most are not, no matter what the package says or the brand name.

What happened to packaging? Many broadheads used to be packed in a sensible foam container of sorts that one could open easily/quickly and where the blades or head did not rattle about. This one really gets me. For $40, add another 50 cents and package these things safely. One of my tests heads protruded through the poor box it was packed in by the manufacturer (a highly regarded archery company). Of course, that further dulls the head.

For what its worth, Slick Tricks are sharp and are packaged fairly well. I am probably going to use HellRazors simply because for me they fly so well. Alas, I will have to touch them up as they do NOT arrive sharp enough, even for $40.

The old thunderhead 125 packaging was great -- small box, blades in separate tiny box, and ferrules stored in a nice foam container, no rattling.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

25-Jun-16
I don't care if the broadheads I buy are sharp or not, because I will sharpen them anyway. It's just something I feel I must do to complete my hunt.

Killing an animal cleanly with a head that I put the edge on with my own hands and skill is a very personal connection. When I sit down and prepare to eat a deer steak from a deer that I butchered and killed with a head that I sharpened is just as much a part of the hunt for me as being in the woods.

I do agree with you on the Thunderheads. Well packaged and probably one of the sharpest out of the box heads I've seen.

25-Jun-16
I agree on the old TH packaging.

I also think the old TH's were equally as outstanding as their packaging. I still use them...or should say use them again, as I went to another brand for several years after switching to carbon arrows, then returned to my former favorites after physical problems caused me to lower my draw weight a few years ago.

I do hand sharpen all my blades before using them for hunting, although the TH blades were probably "sharp enough" out of the box, if there is such a thing.

The TH blades are easy to remove and sharpen to real shaving sharpness using a sharpening system with the stones mounted on plastic carriers that have stiff wires sticking out that are captured in slotted guides. I use that system to bet to a decent shaving edge, then strop them by hand while still clamped in the system's clamp, against a piece of cardboard with polishing compound rubbed onto it.

I then give the hardened steel tip of the ferrule a few strokes from a hand held stone to finish the job.

They have always given me great penetration and excellent flight.

And they're still available from Eders for $34.85 for a five-pack.

25-Jun-16
I remember the Bear Razorheads we used to use came pkg'd for six and cost was around $2 or so each, $12 - $15 for a pk. But, they were sealed like many are today, not necessarily secure once the pack was opened.

My go to BH today has the ferule separate from the blades, the blades come in a separate container and are razor sharp, no need to touch them up. All I do is touch up the tip more out of compulsiveness than anything else. They are pkg'd for four and priced like three packs normally are.

25-Jun-16
I had a devil of a time getting Hellrazors shape. Never had a problem with Snuffers so I don't know what the issue was.

25-Jun-16
I don't think any of us WANT to pay $40 for three heads, but if we want to buy them, that's what they cost.

I use either G5 Strikers or Wasp Hammers, and I have zero problems using them out of the package. Each time I do my part, they do theirs.

I lost two javelinas last January, but it wasn't the heads' fault. I am quite sure I would have found both any place that wasn't as thick as that S. Texas brush. That said, next time I hunt javelina, I will use a good, wide-cut mechanical.

25-Jun-16
I do not understand the desire for sharp broadheads out of the box. Why? Just to waste on foam? Am I the only one who test shoots every head/arrow before hunting?

25-Jun-16
Muzzy 3 blades $35 for a 6 pack and never had an issue with their sharpness right out of the package. If you're spending $40 for three heads and they're not sharp I certainly wouldn't be buying them again.

26-Jun-16
Those are my thoughts as well. If you're buying a quality broadhead, there is no reason to have to sharpen or even shoot each one out of the package.

26-Jun-16
Try Ram Cats! They have worked well for me out of the package for me. Get the 125s bigger cutting than the 100's

26-Jun-16
I agree with you TN.

I switched to Dirt Nap DRT's this past year and have been very happy with them.

Never considered the packaging point till you mentioned it. They do have their own space in plastic that I find to be pretty safe...and the only company I've seen that offers a lifetime replacement warranty. Pretty easy to sharpen too.

Good Luck! Warren

26-Jun-16
Well I sharpen and shoot them. IMO, assuming that you've tuned your bow and done the work to make sure that you're as accurate as possible within you personal effective range, then your broadhead is THE most important piece of equipment that you have. It's what touches the animal first, and assuming that you've put it where it's supposed to be, is what will do the killing. I don't like to leave such an important part of my hunt to someone/something else.

The last month or so before the season starts I shoot nothing but arrows tipped with the broadhead that I'll be using. Bowhunting is an endeavor full of "Murphys" as it is, so I leave as little to chance as I can.

26-Jun-16
Well Bud if that's what disappoints you, don't take up traditional archery, all the traditional style single bevels and most of the double bevels with long length to width ratios come out of the package as sharp as a butter knife. There are a couple of exceptions, but they are much much more expensive.

26-Jun-16
Agreed, when you are spending that kind of money on 3 heads they should be perfect out of the box.

If you feel that you need to sharpen them yourself that's cool too but it doesn't change the fact that we should be getting the best quality out of the box for those prices.

26-Jun-16
Hopefully I will never have to pay $40.00 for three. A few years ago I bought about 20 or so 6 packs of Snuffers and Magnus II's when they cost between 24 and 28 bucks. They are packaged in a bubble plastic, move around, and are fairly dull when opened. But, they are easy to sharpen, and I would do it anyway.

26-Jun-16
About 8-10 years ago I found and fell in love with Wasp Boss four bladed broad heads when they still sold for $30 for a pack of six and bought six packs.

They came packaged as you described, blades secure in their own package, ferrules also individually secured in shrink wrap. I have owned and evaluated fixed bladed BH's from a multitude of other manufactures prior to choosing the Wasp boss BH's and none were made better and a scant few were as sharp, and my Wasp Boss BH's are scary, hair-popping sharp. In short well packaged, excellent BH's.

I agree BH's (as well as just about ALL archery gear) is getting ridiculously expensive bordering on IMHO, insane.

26-Jun-16
I will never shoot a broadhead at an animal that I haven't shot at a target to verify its flight with a given arrow and then resharpened myself.

If you don't want to sharpen - go with a replaceable blade one and keep a set of blades for practice, but always put on new ones before hunting.

As for cost - Quality will cost, and I don't consider out of the box blade sharpness quality. Being manufactured with a steel capable of being sharpened and retaining a sharp edge is quality along with being able to withstand serious impact and still cut/penetrate.

26-Jun-16
I myself shoot nothing but broadheads. I have not shot a field point off my compound in years. This way I am confident in every arrow I shoot. I shoot VPA 175 gainers and just touch them up with a jewel stick before I hunt. Shawn

26-Jun-16
I shoot trad and use Grizzly single bevels. I sharpen em with a KME jig and just consider it part of the process.

While it's definitely not for everybody, I find it kinda therapeutic and satisfying to put that razor edge on.

As for cost today...YIKES!!! I used to "retire" my kill arrows...today, not so much :^).

26-Jun-16
I shoot my Broadheads before hunting with them, So having them shaving sharp out of the box is a waist for me.

After guiding bowhunters for several years I wish others would do the same, even if you think your bow and arrows are well tuned, that does not necessarily mean that will impact the same. We'd have hunters shoot there BHs before a hunt and more often then not they did not group with the Field points.

As for the price, I agree but it depends, some heads are well worth that, others absolutely not.

26-Jun-16
My licenses cost me $50+. My lease fees are $750. The GAS cost that I spend everytime I go to and from my closest place to hunt is about $25.00 (at this weeks prices). I may get an opportunity for ONE decent shot a season, and I'm going to complain about broadheads that cost me $13.00 each???

I wish my life was that simple!

26-Jun-16
FWIW... Anyone who can improve on the edge of a fresh-out-of-the-box Thunderhead or Magnus Stinger is:

1 - enormously talented 2 - incredibly patient 3 - just showin' off

I haven't messed around with a lot of different heads, but those two are well beyond "adequately sharp" as far as I'm concerned.

I do like the idea of having a few of my own fingerprints on the heads, though... Thinking to switch over to Ace and learn to get those up to spec. Can't complain about the price of 'em, and no sense worrying about how sharp they are right out of the package if you're going to hit 'em with a file straight off anyway....

But don't think of those "butter knife" edges as "dull" - they're just ready for customization to whatever edge angle you prefer.

26-Jun-16
BH accuracy and performance is all that I am concerned about. I could care less about packaging or dullness. I do look at cost and "bang for the buck" aka value.

I will personally sharpen every BH before I put it in quiver for action.

26-Jun-16
Ok, so you buy one dozen broadheads, the "best" on the market. You shoot each one and resharpen. Assuming you don't ever take those broadheads off those arrows and you don't change anything on your bow setup, do you really need to shoot them each year or is it because a guy just likes to tinker?

If you know a broadhead shoots well and spins true, shouldn't spin testing that same brand/model broadhead be just as good from that point forward, or is shooting them every year just cause a guy likes to tinker around?

If a broadhead manufacturer can't hold tight enough tolerances to where spin testing will suffice, I wouldn't buy those broadheads, regardless if they cost $5 or $35 each.

I bought a new bow last fall and had not shot a broadhead off it until a month ago. Same brand and model of arrow, only a target and not hunting, and different bow than last year and the broadhead flew true like a field point; first, second, and third shots. This tells me if you buy a quality head, doesn't matter brand, and your bow is in sync (tuned), you won't have any surprises.

27-Jun-16
A debate free thread complaining about BH's ?

I shoot every arrow/BH before hunting then touch them up popping sharp. I never want to have a situation where I assumed the hunting arrow would fly perfect- this way I know for sure that arrow assembly, spine-everything that can go wrong with a hunting arrow- hasn't....they fly perfect.

What can happen if you don't?....a bad arrow....maybe your arrow flys right......you just don't know for sure.

27-Jun-16
Do what pleases you. I prefer to pack my own parachute.

27-Jun-16
Just because a broadhead has great tolerances for spinning true doesn't mean it will on any particular shaft. The shaft and/or insert play a role as well when spinning true.

As for broadhead coming Sharp and the cost. Well American made is going to cost more. I am in the sharpen every head before I hunt category. My go to broadhead is a VPA. If I am not mistaken they don't put a scary Sharp edges on them due to increased cost. I could be wrong though. As easy as they are to sharpen it don't bother me.

27-Jun-16
I much prefer to sharpen BH's myself, and not leave that very important aspect to a factory.

27-Jun-16
"Just because a broadhead has great tolerances for spinning true doesn't mean it will on any particular shaft. The shaft and/or insert play a role as well when spinning true."

That's why when I put the BH on an arrow, I spin it. If it wobbles, something is going on. No need to shoot it. If it spins true, no need to shoot it because of proven track record with that head. What else could cause the arrow to fly wierd? Spine alignment? Maybe. I don't worry about spine indexing anymore and do not have problems. Just lucky I guess.

27-Jun-16
IF you are buying a quality broadhead, then the blades should have a quality steel and be able to hold an edge. Most [probably all] manufactures simply can't add the cost of REALLY sharpening their blades, because most wouldn't want to pay the extra $5-$10 a head it would cost. So they are machine sharpened.

Once you have settled on a quality head and if you want that little "extra" sharpness then buy a small pair of needle nose vice grips and make a small leather strop.

I re-sharpen Spitfire and ST blades, first on a Lansky knife sharpener and then a few strokes on a strop. New blades just get a few swipes on the strop.

27-Jun-16
I don't sharpen my razor blades I shave my face with and they're sharpened scary sharp from the factory. How much sharper do you get them than a factory razor blade by putting a stone to them yourself? If you want to sharpen them or you enjoy doing it yourself great but I don't think you're really doing anything except re-arranging deck chairs.

27-Jun-16
Some are better than others and some are much better than others.

Ed

27-Jun-16
Teeton: "Some are better than others and some are much better than others."

Very true. And I think many people use the term "shaving sharp" pretty loosely.

It's a holdover from our childhoods when boys would sit around with our prized pocket knives and shave patches of hair from our arms. Much revered was the owner of the arm with actual hairless notches on it!!

Something in our "manly" dna that makes us desire admiration from other men. And proclaiming to have shaving sharp instruments is a sure way to invoke envy.

27-Jun-16
My two favorite broadheads for perfect flight are Shuttle T's and Magnus Blackhornets. As long as my form is good they both fly great.

28-Jun-16
Add me to the need-to-be-sharp-out-of-the-box club. If you're spending a fair amount for three, then at least the manufacturer can do is make them sharp!

As far as packaging, I don't care one was or the other - I just want them sharp. I put them on arrows or in my own carrying container anyway.

Having said all that, I keep buying Slick Tricks, because they come razor sharp, and because they consistently fly straight out of my set-up, allowing me shoot them with confidence - without having to sharpen or test shoot every one of them. Worth the cost for a little peace-of-mind and no hassle.

28-Jun-16
I shoot mine quite a bit before hunting with them. My local store has Zwickeys under $20/6. I put a whole new edge on them with a file and stone so as long as they have some initial grind its ok with me.

I don't hesitate to shoot at a grouse, dirt clod or tuft of grass while I'm out hunting and I just touch it up back at camp. I beat one straight with a rock (I mmmmmmmissed) on a javelina hunt, resharpened it and made kill with it.

My favorite are Magnus Classics which are a little more, but same idea.

28-Jun-16
I clicked on this thinking it was going to be a plug for Simmons Land Shark..... heheheheheheh....

28-Jun-16
And another thought.... The guy who shoots the most deer out of everybody I know - couple dozen a year down in VA - he test-shoots every single head.... And then they go straight back into the quiver.

Just strikes me as Wrong, but I guess he figures target foam makes a fine strop.

29-Jun-16
My Magnus broad heads are sharp out of the package, but because I am old school, they get hit with the strop. Things get bounced around in the mail, and there is nothing you can do about that. What one can do is learn how to sharpen their own heads until they are hair popping sharp.

29-Jun-16
I test the blades on my finger. If a red line appears when I run the blade across it, it's sharp.

30-Jun-16
I've used VPA heads for the last couple of years. A three pack has kill about a dozen elk and deer. All heads were recovered, resharpened, and reused. I feel that $40 or so for three heads that do their job so well is a true bargain.

Have modern bowhunters forgotten how to sharpen broadheads?

30-Jun-16
A bargain if you recover. If you don't, then it's no different than anything else.

30-Jun-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I started using Rocky Mountains when they came on the market in the 70s. Always 3 blades & very sharp out of the package. When the son was pretty much in charge I contacted him about me using their heads for nearly 35 years back then. He said if I contacted him direct he would give me Staff discount. I did & I ordered a TON of 3 of their 3 blade models at that time. I furnished my myself & 4 family members (3, I dz each & 1, 2dz + extra blades). I still have several Dz in the package. These heads were like $60 & $100 per 6 back then & I think my actual cost ended up around $2 a head. A year later they sold out.. I DO shoot the heads I am going to hunt with & then put in new blades when season opens.. My Ironheads, I have sharpened on occasion after shooting instead of replacing with new blades, not a problem.. 40+ years now & so glad I made that "big" buy at a steal price.

30-Jun-16
"Have modern bowhunters forgotten how to sharpen broadheads?"

Short answer...yes. But it's more likely they never learned how to in the first place.

30-Jun-16
ahunter55:

That is one poorly put together arrow. Or damaged from a hard impact?

No offence intended or slight on your abilities.

30-Jun-16
The whole idea of sharpness out of the box is lost on many of these razor-blade style BHs. I've killed animals with both Thunderheads and moreso Muzzys and the BHs look like they've been ram-rodded into gravel 50 times after they've gone through 2 ribs.

Those thin blades don't hold up the the first set of ribs they encounter. Do they kill animals? Sure they do. Anything you put in the right spot will kill an animal.

But the whole point of sharpness is to increase bleeding. If you've lost your sharpness after passing through the first set of ribs, then that's like wearing a hat for the first hour after sunrise to prevent a sunburn and then taking it off for the rest of the day.

Blood vessels move and bend. They're also relatively strong - especially arteries. Arteries have a hard outer lining, followed by a muscle lining, then the soft endothelial lining before you get to the lumen in the middle where the blood is.

I've personally done procedures on people working close to small-moderate sized arteries where a significant torque and pressure was put on the artery and it did not tear. They hold up to a lot. Most of these procedures have been trauma repair. The fact that the artery did not cut or break in the initial trauma is testimony to their durability.

If the point of your BH contacts the artery, it's probably not going to be an issue. The theoretical idea behind a sharp BH, is at the margins of your cutting diameter, ie: at the very bottom of your BH (its widest parts), if the blade is dull when it contacts the vessel, it can simply push it out of the way because vessels can be pushed and moved. A sharp blade will not push, it will slice. This is why very sharp broadheads leave huge holes on quartering animals. They don't push and punch through. They slice.

Another example: When I was in school, I second-assisted on a double mastectomy that was performed by two surgeons. Each surgeon removed one breast. They used different techniques. The first surgeon used primarily a scalpel and a Bovie, which is an electro-cautery which cuts with an exceptionally heated cutting metal that is dull. The idea of the Bovie is that it cauterizes the blood as it cuts and cuts down on bleeding. The second surgeon used a peanut, which is essentially a small wad of gauze folded into the shape of a peanut and held taut by a forceps. The peanut is forced repeatedly into the tissue to separate it and "cuts" by pulling and separating the tissues apart. Both surgeons performed the mastectomy using their preferred method and separated the breast tissue away from the chest wall.

At the end of the procedure, as they finished roughly at the same time, I was surprised to see how dry the side was where the peanut was used in contrast to the scalpel/Bovie side, which was actively bleeding from the entire surgical wound.

I switched from Muzzys to VPAs after hunting with Mike and he let me shoot some of his. I killed a doe with the VPA head, which has thicker steel and a 30 degree cutting edge and also has high quality steel. I shot a doe at 35 yards and penetrated ribs on both sides, the arrow exited the arm pit, went through the leg, fractured the humerus, exited, having cut hide 4 times, and stuck in the ground on the other side a good 6 inches, deep enough that I had to give it a good tug to get it out.

I was surprised to find that the VPA head was still sharp, with not a single visible dent in the metal. A Muzzy going through the same thing would have looked like it was jabbed into gravel repeatedly.

So, I took a deep breath and now pay $40 for 3 heads. BTW, they're not too sharp out of the box, but they're one of the easiest heads to sharpen. The design allows you to just drag them across a flat sharpening stone. I literally had my 12 year old daughter do it for her BHs. I showed her how to do it, she did it, and her first BH was razor sharp. If a 12 year old girl can sharpen a BH with minimal education in a matter of minutes, then anyone can.

30-Jun-16
Man I love it when you talk Doctor to us!

30-Jun-16
I will jump in and ask "how sharp is sharp enough"?

NOT that I am willing to use a minimally sharp broadhead and call it good enough.

But I've posted on many threads in the past, why is it that even an EXTREMLY damaged broadhead akin to the "ram-rodded into gravel 50-times" noted above) will still very cleanly slice the vane off another arrow already stuck into the target? An arrow vane is pretty flimsy and if you tried to cut it with a knife it would easily move off to the side. Yet an very dull flying broadhead blade will zip a vane in half cleanly every time.

So at the end of the day, it's my opinion that nearly any purchased blade is sharp enough.

Sure, some BH are stronger, some hold up better, some penetrate better, etc. but except for some brands that intentionally are sold unsharpened (e.g. traditional heads) I think we are "splitting hairs" when it comes defining what is dull and poorly packaged.

I personally don't hunt with blades that I've used in a target (even once) but based on the performance of extremely dull banged up practice blades, I can see why GF's example of a guy who shoots BH into foam target once and then hunts with them probably doesn't affect their lethality enough to notice or measure.

As Zinger says, sharpening factory edges is little more than rearranging deck chairs. If you want to fine, but IMO not necessary.

Carl

30-Jun-16
A 30 deg bevel will hold its edge better than a 15 because it won't curl over as easy, but it's also not the same degree of sharp either, can't be.

I've shot animals with the replaceable blade type broadhead and on recovery, one or some of the blades are dinged a little because of intersecting a rib bone just right. But, the blood trail is still just as good and the animal is just as dead as the 30 deg bevel broadhead I also use. So,...six of one, half dozen of the other?

30-Jun-16
It's six and one half dozen...which is, what 78? Now I'm really confused.

30-Jun-16
smarba, you certainly have a point, and I noted that just about any BH of any sharpness put in the right spot will kill an animal.

The sharper BH, though, will potentially put certain animals down quicker and will potentially give a better blood trail. On animals that are not hit perfectly, I think the sharp BH gives you a better shot at recovering the animal. It's also better, IMO, to put an animal down quicker, as is the general consensus among hunters.

Any animal shot in the aorta or double lunged with two holes collapsing lungs won't go far. One-lunged animals, liver or gut hit animals, muscle hit animals, etc, I think that's where you stand to potentially get the benefit of the sharper BH.

I think that if you kill hundreds of animals your entire life and you lose one because of a dull BH, than it was worth the sharper BH on all the rest.

Have you ever not recovered an animal and wondered afterwards if you walked by him or stopped just short of him? If an animal dies 100 yards closer, it could potentially make the difference between finding it and not. Most animals it doesn't make a difference. It's just another just-in-case.

30-Jun-16

Ambush. No telling how many times or what that head, arrow has done. Trust me, they all spine & shoot perfect when headed to the woods.

30-Jun-16
Not only different sharpening angles, etc. there are different kinds of "sharp".

There is also a theory about "wire edge" sharpening, that the tiny ragged edge (wire edge) left from sharpening with a file "grabs" and cuts soft tissue better than a polished razor edge. I think the same theory applies WRT serrated edges on some commercial blades "grabbing" soft tissue.

It does seem to grab tissue and cut like a son of a gun, but the big problem with that wire edge is it rolls so easy with even contact on a rib. Then you really have no edge at all left. At least a serrated edge has some strength/support built into it and is a much tougher edge than a wire edge.

Some heads you can shape with a file, but I think all edges should be honed and polished out to remove that thin section left by coarse sharpening.

01-Jul-16
One thing I have learned since I started using VPA heads. The 30 degree edge doesn't feel as sharp as say a slick trick. But they are very sharp. Every test I have done has proved that. There are a lot of great broadhead out there. But I honestly think everyone should try a VPA on a few animals. They won't be disappointed.

I tune my bow to them, sharpen every one, spin everyone and then they go in the quiver. Confidence in your equipment is huge in archery. I have complete confidence in the broadhead I shot.

02-Jul-16
A long, long time ago, when I was young fella shaving for a Saturday evening date, I noticed that about every time I put in a fresh blade in the old Gillette adjustable razor, I would end up sticking little patches of toilet paper to my face to stop the persistent bleeding from the sliced capillaries while I finished getting ready.

I tended to not get such persistently bleeding tiny cuts the rest of the week, even after often skipping a day of shaving. The fresh blades gave me the smoother and cleaner shave I was looking for for Saturday night, and the very same blade still shaved me pretty well four or five more times, so was still "shaving sharp" but without that extra bloodletting that the fresh blade provided.

I was just starting to bowhunt about that time, and the lesson sunk in that there would most likely be a connection there between the blade sharpness and the blood trail I hoped to find and follow. Even if it's only a difference of a few drops, those may be the drops that make the difference between a recovery and a lost animal.

"Sharp enough", for me, has always meant as sharp as I can make it.

02-Jul-16
"Have modern bow hunters forgotten how to sharpen broad heads?"

LOL! That's a broad statement.

02-Jul-16
"Modern" bowhunters never have had to learn to sharpen broadheads.

02-Jul-16
Just saw a sale on shuttle t replacement blades at cabelas for $7. Love this broadheads.

02-Jul-16
To get a blade super shart you have to file it super thin which gets it super dull immediatly on contact. The shuttle t has a slicing design and .4 thickness. They dont curl over and at least for me usually pass thru even african game. Shot a huge eland behind the last rib and broadhead tip was visible coming out its throat. Thats exactly why butchers use a steel to sharpen their knives so they dont remove too much metal. Same principle goes for fillet knives. It does no good to have a deformed and dull blade six inches into an animal.

03-Jul-16
I sharpen mine. Then hone them with some Herb's Yellowstone.

Then I'll touch them up in camp.

It gives me some focused, "Zen" time. Ultimately, I may be honing my mind as much as my broadheads. It's just something that I do.

03-Jul-16
"It gives me some focused, "Zen" time. Ultimately, I may be honing my mind as much as my broadheads. It's just something that I do."

X-2. For me it's equal parts therapy and functionality. There's something VERY soothing about filing and honing steel. And then there's the feeling of, "I did this. This is MY edge. It will be the FIRST and most important thing that contacts the deer. The deer I kill with it will taken due to my efforts and skill. I owe it nothing less."

03-Jul-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Great posts Ike...I totally agree....you can have those cheap razor blade heads! To his point...the photo above...without debate of course.

And i positively disagree with HDE....

03-Jul-16

Heres another for you cheap replaceable blade fans

03-Jul-16

Awe heres one more to cover most of the major food groups....grin

Why would anyone shoot a head that cannot hold its sharpness all the way through an animal?

03-Jul-16
"And i positively disagree with HDE...."

Which time and about what?

04-Jul-16
HDE, Where do I start- grin

"Modern archer doesn't need to know how to sharpen"HDE quote I have a buddy that used to shoot Montecs...taking a break on an elk hunt I asked to see one of his arrows and the head was slightly dull.....never shot but went in and out of his quiver multiple times. So he should just buy a new one? Or shoot a dull head? _________ Then there is the spin checking....

I spin my BH tipped arrows on a jig to check straightness....there can still be enough of a wobble that couldn't be seen by just eyeing them without the jig I've found arrows that spun on a table .004"off in the length of the BH. The difference between .004" and .002" is significant in that short distance on the front end of your arrow when it comes to BH arrow flight.

With my homegrown jig, I can easily get them all .002" with minor effort. Contrary to your comments, I've seen an improvement in BH arrow flight.

Plus I shoot each one to make sure...if you don't, you are guessing that there isn't any spine issue or any outlier issue that pops up.

I get that its all 'degrees' and many guys don't want to go through the extra effort. My point is- with a jig, it doesn't take much effort to be 100% certain of a perfect arrow.

04-Jul-16
Would love to see that jig and how you measure straightness.

04-Jul-16
I had no idea there were so many perspectives to ensuring a sharp and shootable broadhead. Very interesting thread.

I'm on the replaceable blade bandwagon, mainly because I cannot sharpen a tiny blade as well as Slick Trick and Wacem can at the factory. If my bow is tuned I can shoot most broadheads in the same spot as my filed points at any range.

I fly to as many hunts as I drive to. Shooting each head/arrow combination isn't practical for me. I don't leave home without my spin tester and ensure every head/arrow spins true before placing it in my quiver; at times only for a day or two before hopping on the plane and heading home.

These are the most important steps to ensuring you're doing it right from my perspective....in no particular order.

1) Whatever you can do consistently that gives you the most confidence in your equipment.

Happy 4th everyone!

04-Jul-16
Beendere

In the spirit of this thread being designated as DEBATE FREE and all responses must be Constructive and Positive, I will only say I never once said a modern bowhunter doesn't need to know how to sharpen a broadhead, I said they've never had to learn.

With all the different replaceable blade broadheads out there, the need to learn how is not a requirement to bowhunt.

The other points you bring up would not be proper to be discussed here.

05-Jul-16

Purdue, here you go. This is the jig I use now to true my carbons and spin check for straightness.

I don't have a pic of the old jig I used to check the wobble in my heads as I cannabalized the micrometer for a spine checker.

It would be very hard to get the micrometer on the heads I'm using now- COC's. The micrometer worked with the rounded chisel points I used to use 15-20 years ago as you can run it around the entire diameter.

Hey, maybe there is an idea...make a spin checker with the micrometer having a modified tip that you can spin check any head on.....

05-Jul-16
When building, how do you ensure that the jig is straight to begin with?

05-Jul-16
Carpentry skills Ike! Chop saws are amazing....clamp it to a large carpenters square when gluing. If you don't think your skills are up to it with a small back block....glue it up with longer pieces to check for 'true' and cut it down after gluing.

Then remember...you are spinning everything against that back block so if the back is a few one thousands off....it will polish the end of a carbon perfectly square anyway [i use 220 sandpaper]

Spinning the arrow on the notches to true the heads; all you need is a center dot on the back block

05-Jul-16

Purdue's embedded Photo
Purdue's embedded Photo
Beendare, thanks for posting that picture of your spin tester. Unfortunately the spin tester design that is commonly used by archers and even some toolmakers has a built-in flaw. You can get most any reading you want depending upon where the supports are placed and/or how the arrow is loaded into the tester.

I drew up this sketch to illustrate how the very same bent arrow can give three different indications of runout depending upon the support location.

06-Jul-16
that makes it very clear.

06-Jul-16
Being a fixed head, broadhead junkie, I have been favoring the Magnus Black Hornet. Flys excellent, COC, good blade angle, 1 1/4 cut and easy to sharpen. A few strokes on a stone and then some time with Herbs Yellowstone on leather and it is there.

Sharp is sharp...after that there are just varying degrees of dullness!

06-Jul-16
Purdue, Agreed....good illustration. I set mine up for max distnace in front of fletch then to tip....with a short distance from back plate to the closest shaft support.

An arrow spinner is no good if its 6" from the closest support as you illustrated.

06-Jul-16
Trying not to debate this and it's off topic too, so I'll just say this once, then I'm out of here.

It should be appearant to the most casual observer that any arrow spinner of this design, no matter where the supports are placed, is worthless.

Any bend in the arrow between the nock and the nearest support is not detected in any way. A bend in the arrow between the supports Is not detected in any way. Only a bend between the nearest support and arrow tip is detected and it is a lie. The bend in the arrow will always be MORE than the spinner indicates. (Assuming a constant bend as illustrated and that is the most likely scenario.)

Any attempt to square the end of the shaft with that device will NOT make the end square to the centerline of the shaft at its exit point. You are making it square to to some arbitrary centerline determined by the support position and the bend in the arrow.

Those arrows that APPEAR straight by their lack of wiggle are only being "measured" straight from the far support to their point and then they are only as "straight" as the vision of the observer, probably about +/- .005". And again, the bend in the arrow will always be MORE than the spinner indicates.

You are actually also checking the concentricity of the arrow's ID to the OD, the concentricity of the insert, the straightness of the insert, the straightness of the broadhead and the symmetricalness of the broadheads.

Unless you have a dial indicator, I would just roll the arrow shaft on a flat table. Sort by checking the clearance between the table and the arrow with skinny strips of paper of different thickness or use a feeler gage. Shoot them and see how much bend you can tolerate. I suspect that it will be more bend than you thought because you have always been shooting arrows with more bend in them than you thought.

07-Jul-16
I agree with the geometry illustrated by Purdue, that could be an issue with a badly bent shaft, but it's not like you aren't going to have a few issues anyway if that were the case.

I don't believe he's trying to measure how straight the shaft is. He's trying to align the broadhead as best he can with the shaft. Rolling the shaft on a (perfectly flat) table is going to be hard to produce the best head alignment, the equipment required to do that would be pretty sophisticated for even an archery shop, much less something the average archer would need/use.

For aligning heads to the degree necessary for bowhunting, some form of v-block, bearings, etc. would be the simplest and easiest, given all else being equal. If the straightness of the shaft was an issue I would pick up some different shafts. =D

A good squaring tool (essentially another v-block device) helps a great deal too.

In all honesty even though I have a couple different v-block spinners laying around.... some with, some without dial indicators.... I normally just screw a head on and spin em.... gets me close enough for the girls I go out with.....

10-Jul-16
Broadheads, hunting gear ect....

Have followed the general trend of overthought, overcomplicated, and expensive.

We "Think" you have to use the latest and greatest to be effective.

When in reality it is not the equipment that is at fault, but rather the user that fails to become efficient.

Some of the old two blade heads that arrive dull like zwickey, ace, magnus ect....when sharpened and tuned by skilled hands still kill as good as anything.

I'm not opposed to mechanicals, gadgets ect...heck I'd use them.

But I can also sit down sharpen a Ace 2 blade scary sharp, mount it properly on a douglas fir arrow and fill my freezer with meat.

Years ago you would pull into a jobsite with 4 guys, concrete was ordered prior because there was no such thing as cell phones...and you would pour a 20 YD pour, no hassle, and it would go good, look good, and last.

Now we pull into a jobsite with 12 guys, they all have to have hard hats and safety vest, there are 6 white hat inspectors that probably never finished concrete in their life, everybody is on their cell phones, we got pages of blueprints, certifications, evaporation meters...ect...ect.. And when the job is done? ....well its just another 20 YD pour.

Expensive dull broadheads?...LOL...We are mostly just spinning our wheels folks....but we look dang good doing it.

10-Jul-16
I usually shoot Thunderheads or Magnus Stinger. Have been using Thunderhead since the 80's and are still among the best in the business. the stingers are tough, and easy to sharpen. both are Excellent heads. When I shoot my Thunderheads, I keep a few old blades around to use for practice. I don't shoot the new blades except for hunting. No need to Sharpen TH Blades out of the box they are always razor sharp.

10-Jul-16
I totally agree broadhead prices have gotten out of hand... I bought a 3-pack of a new type COC head 3-blade to try when they first came out about a half dozen years or so ago and think I paid around 30 or 32 bucks for them and thought was overpriced at the time... I think they want around 50 bucks for them now... That about a 60% increase in a half dozen years or so... Ridicules... I can see a little prices increase to stay in business, but the broadhead people have went overboard and the less I have to buy, the less I will... Maybe a time for a little boycott to convey the message...

31-Jul-16
With the other thread of the high price of broadheads, bringing this thread back to the top...

Again, manufactures don't get it, time for a boycott...

31-Jul-16
Ever heard of 'The Prisoners' Dilemma'? I think boycotting broadheads would do just that.

31-Jul-16
My health insurance went up about the same percentage.:) For me health insurance is important but broadhead purchase is still optional!!

31-Jul-16
Ike that is a great example of cutting and bleeding with the different techniques use in the double mastectomy.

• Sitka Gear