TurboT 28-Jun-16
Full_Curl 29-Jun-16
wildwilderness 29-Jun-16
Heat 29-Jun-16
Ermine 29-Jun-16
Ermine 30-Jun-16
Bowkid 30-Jun-16
27-Jun-16
Been researching old posts on the best tripod head for a spotting scope and keep seeing that a Jim White head or The Outdoorsmans head seem to be pretty much the most recommended. I see they don’t give the Outdoorsmans heads away either...

I can’t find much info on the Jim White head, are they a ball or a pan head and are they still available for purchase?

The Outdoorsmans offers both the pan head and their pistol grip head which I assume is a ball. You can also get a pan attachment for the pistol grip head I believe but don't know what that would help with...?

Wondering what head you guys prefer over the other and why? I’ve never had the chance to test either out.

I’ll be using it for both spotter and binoculars. Spotter is a 65mm. Maybe I’ll get a 80mm someday.

Weight is a factor but I’m not trying to shave ounces here and stability and control are more important.

Thanks for any replies.

27-Jun-16
Jim White is a pan head. I don't think they're made anymore. I had one and the Outdoorsman's pan head and ended seeling the Jim White and buying another Outdoorsman's. I liked the Outdoorsman's better because I can easily lock the vertical or horizontal pan and choose which grid pattern to run plus the vertical adjust on the grip of the Jim White wasn't as easy to use. If you glass in grids you'll likely prefer a pan over a ball head. The Outdoorsman's also has a mini-pan head that I haven't tried. Yet!

27-Jun-16
I am a big fan of the Outdoorsman pistol grip. In my opinion, it is the best to cover country the most efficiently. There is no stick to hit you in the face or to reach to find. I use it mainly for 15 and 20 power binos but also for scopes.

28-Jun-16
I have the mini pan head from Outdoorsman and I like it a lot. Likely won't ever need anything else.

28-Jun-16
I'm a pistol grip fan myself... Just easier when working bigger glass seems like.

Good Luck!

28-Jun-16
Second that for the Outdoorsmans micro pan. It's light weight, durable and smooth as butter. I just wouldn't recommend it if you're running some massive binos or spotter though.

28-Jun-16
Jim White passed a year or so ago. I dont' think anyone has taken over making his product. I have only played with the Outdoorsman micro, but I would go that route if buying a lightweight head

28-Jun-16
I have the Outdoorsman Pistol grip and a pan. It is nice to have both.

The pistol is good to get on animals and move your binos anywhere.

When just glassing the pan is needed to stay on grid, and you can set it the right tension to slowly move the binos with slight pressure from your head turning. Very nice.

28-Jun-16
I have the pistol grip from the outdoorsman and it works well. However, if I were to be spending several hours everyday behind binos on the tripod, I would get the mini pan

28-Jun-16
Not to hijack the thread. But how big of a spotter can a mini pan head handle?

I will be getting an 80 mm Swarovski this year. Had planned on an outdoorsman pan head.

28-Jun-16
They are both good. I like the pistol grip in warm weather. The colder it gets the less I use it because my fingers get cold squeezing the lever. More frequently I use the pan head as it is easier to set for gridding big country slowly.

29-Jun-16
Thanks for all the good replies... like most things, lots of pluses and minuses of both. I use my glasses 75% of the time and then my spotter 25% of the time to examine animals that I find with my glasses. I don't grid search too much with my spotter.

I use 10x42 glasses and a 65mm spotter.

Please keep the replies coming.

29-Jun-16
The pan is for your binos on the tripod. Outdoorsman will add the stud into your binos for the quick attachment. Really easy to switch between binos and spotter.

29-Jun-16
Pan for me.

29-Jun-16
Pan head for me

30-Jun-16
I have no idea why my last post has that ad in it? But anyways I really like the pan head

The mini pan head works for 65mm scopes and under. If you go 80 mm then go regular pan head

30-Jun-16
The micro pan head is very nice. Im still running a Jim White which is nice however I don't think they are available anymore and the micro pan has some upgraded features.

Also you can get all of your glass set up for their dovetail which is smaller and lighter than the JW.

Really sad to hear that Jim passed he was a great guy !

• Sitka Gear