Contributors to this thread:
Elkaddict 28-Jun-16
YZF-88 28-Jun-16
Backpack Hunter 28-Jun-16
sitO 28-Jun-16
smarba 28-Jun-16
Darrell 28-Jun-16
28-Jun-16
I'm looking for a good sleeping bag for my 13 year old son. We are going to backpack in about 4 miles for a bivy hunt at 11k' in Colorado this archery season. Any suggestions on a good sleeping bag? I don't want to break the bank for this trip as he has a lot to grow yet. Wondering if any of you have taken your kids and found a good bag. I'm guessing a 10° bag or right there in would be needed.

28-Jun-16
Freaky timing. I was just going to post the same question...but we'll only be at 8,500 feet...in Idaho.

28-Jun-16
I don't believe I have ever purchased a bag solely for one of my children. They normally end up using one of my bags (usually the warmer one).

To date (during archery season) they have used...that I can remember...a Western Mountaineering (15degr), Kifaru (0degr), a Mountain Hardwear (0degr), and a Montbell (0degr). No complaints from them on any.

28-Jun-16
Cabelas Bargain Cave..."Rock Bottom Deals" has several off brands for CHEAP right now.

28-Jun-16
Either of you shoot me PM I have a couple that I'm certain daughter has outgrown. I'll have to double-check the details and ratings: I know one is warmer, one is colder temp.

We can easily work something out as I'd love to help out youth hunters, specifically Bowsiters!

Carl

28-Jun-16
Depending on their sizes, I also have a nice Cabelas camo rain jacket & pant combination I'd love to sell for a price that would likely make us both happy. My son wore the pants maybe a half dozen times and the Jacket maybe a dozen times. PM me as well.

I will vouch that Carl will do you right on any gear he sells/swaps etc. though I'm with Backpack Hunter, my kids have always just used an adult bag and done just fine.

• Sitka Gear