Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Buffalo1 28-Jun-16
WapitiBob 28-Jun-16
Buffalo1 29-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 30-Jun-16
Buffalo1 30-Jun-16
28-Jun-16
Interested in getting some feedback & experience from bowhunters who use rear bow stabilizers.

How long is front and rear stabilizer?

How much weight on front and rear stabilizer?

How many degrees horizontal is your rear stabilizer from your bow riser?

How man degrees vertical is your rear stabilizer from level?

Is your rear stabilizer inside of your shooting arm in the riser or is the rear stabilizer outside of your shooting arm?

28-Jun-16
Depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to balance a bow on a pin like Bernie, any combination will work. If you want to tune for hold, recoil abatement, and better groups, you need to screw stuff on and start moving it around. In that instance it won't be balanced per se; likely a tag front heavy. Changing the downward angle on a back bar can double the size of a group at 60 yards. Moving the back bar away from the riser and adding weight will give you a loaded hand position; i.e. Reo and Perkins. More front bar weight/length will reduce pin movement as well as movement at the shot. If all you want to do is offset the sight and maybe quiver a 12" or so side bar and about 10 oz should do it. Adjust it around and note your groups.

29-Jun-16
Thanks WapitiBob for your input. Info that I found good use for today

I have also talked with B-Stinger and Elite Archery. They too were helpful with giving me some good starting point advice. Hopefully, I am working my way through an experimental, trial & error process that will help improve my stability and shooting skills, especially at longer distances.

30-Jun-16
I use the Bee Stinger 10.8 Sport Hunter Extreme Kit. The front bar is 10" and the rear 8".

I have one on my hunting bow, as well as my 3D bow. As WB points out, there's so many factors that go into balancing the bow, the placement of bars/weights will differ greatly from bow to bow.

My 3D bow has a Black Gold sight with a 6" dovetail, so it adds quite a bit of forward weight. To counteract this, my rear bar has 9oz of weight, while my front bar has none. Since I don't have a quiver on, the back bar is closer to the bow.

OTOH, my hunting bow has 6oz of weight on the back bar, and none on the front. I keep the front bars on simply for vibration dampening. Since I do have a quiver with 4 arrows on it, the back bar sits quite a bit further from the bow, outside of my bow arm. And no, I haven't found this to cause any problems.

My dealer has a piece of equipment that sits on bearings, kinda like a gyro. All we do is move the bars/weights until the bow sits perfectly balanced by its own weight.

My setup definitely helps settle the pin more quickly, and hold steadier, at any distance, but obviously you'll notice the benefits more as the yardage increases.

30-Jun-16
wyobullshooter,

From what I have learned over the last couple of days the 10"F/8"R is the combination of choice. Weight is normally 1:2 ratio (front/rear).

After this it is all personal preference with weights and positioning (vertical and horizontal)of rear stabilizer.

Elite suggest the lowest riser hole for on riser for rear stabilizer placement. Also, rear stabilizer starting point is parallel to lower limb.

• Sitka Gear