Bear Track 30-Jun-16
ohiohunter 30-Jun-16
Bear Track 30-Jun-16
ohiohunter 30-Jun-16
Bigpizzaman 30-Jun-16
master guide 03-Jul-16
APauls 04-Jul-16
29-Jun-16
Not being a mechanical fan, sometimes one steps up and tries to make a believer out of me! I'm an old school bowhunter from the 70's and never used or tried a mechanical broadhead. This is definitely the toughest broadhead, mechanical or fixed, I've ever seen. That's a heavy and thick walled barrel and the physics of hitting that rolled edge on that angle, say this can't happen. It did and the broadhead is still wedged in that barrel. I'm impressed.

29-Jun-16

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Guess I can make my point if I post a couple pictures...

29-Jun-16

29-Jun-16
More than 1 barrel shooter this year!!! lol

Impressive!

29-Jun-16
What broadhead are we talking about here?

29-Jun-16
Those barrels don't leave a good blood trail....

.....the saving grace is they usually don't go far.

29-Jun-16
Yes Bigpizzaman, I did have to retrieve Greg's arrow and intact broadhead from inside one of my barrels also.

I'm pretty sure the pictures I have here are of a Grim Reaper.

29-Jun-16
Broadhead name?

29-Jun-16
Yep, it's a Reaper.

29-Jun-16
I know there a lot of guys on here who hate mechanicals, but I have witnessed about a dozen elk shot with Grim Reapers with no lost animals. I realize that's a small sample size from a statistical standpoint, but it's a good head. I have been impressed.

30-Jun-16
A Steelhead would have blown through both sides. ;^D And I'm one of those old timers that started in the 70s too.

30-Jun-16
As a Bear Outfitter in Manitoba Bear Track sees all kinds of broadheads so he's a credible judge. I have hunted with fixed blade broad heads for 35 years but pretty sure I'll be shooting a mechanical this year. Reapers are very well made and certainly effective and reliable.

30-Jun-16
Silly, Don't you know you can't kill a barrel with a mechanical.

30-Jun-16
" I opened the package, the black rubber came off, and the whole head, spring and all, fell apart..... so you have to be careful when you open one..."

I'm shocked!

30-Jun-16
I'm with the previous poster on the Rocket Steelhead. Strong and simple head that will easily penetrate the barrel if they are in season.

30-Jun-16
To be honest, I'm not sure one shot into the drum edge proves much about those heads. And just so you know, I've been shooting those particular heads exclusively for the last couple years, & killed many different animals with them, all the way up to Canada Moose. But I think anyone who has shot these heads much, knows that the blades would be just as likely to shear off during the next shot into the rolled edge of a steel drum. Fairly impressive for a single shot, but really their performance on steel is not that relevant WRT to their performance on hide & hair & flesh & bone.

30-Jun-16
Really not that big of a deal considering it is only the ferrule that barely penetrated the steel. Probably get similar results from a FP or any decent Bhead w/ the blades removed.

If it had gone all the way through and was dangling by the fletchings with all the blades intact that would be impressive, but I've yet to see a mechanical pull that off.

30-Jun-16
If anything, I think it shows how poorly they penetrate. The blades stopped it from going further, just as they would with heavy bone. Only the tip and ferrule penetrated. I think a COC head would have gone much further into (or through) the metal.

30-Jun-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I just remember how much fun it was playing in the snow that day!

Not my Grim Reaper BTW, but it is impressive that it penetrated the ring on that barrel. That is some hard steel. Just the physics of how perfectly it had to hit the ring to not glance off are pretty incredible. You could shoot a 1,000 arrows and I would not bet you could duplicate that exact hit with any head.

30-Jun-16
My point exactly. The angle the barrel was on, the curvature of the rim and 2 layers of curved steel. Near impossible to duplicate.

30-Jun-16
How did it end up there? If it had already gone through a bear I would be impressed. The blades probably deployed upon release slicing the archers bow hand resulting in an errant shot that luckily hit a barrel before it sizzled through the neighbors occupied screened in back porch. :D

If I had a barrel I'd kill it too

30-Jun-16
My hunter tried to shoot over the barrel into the bear but shot low. Next shot bear was not so lucky.

30-Jun-16
Must have some good stink bait laced with crack b/c that had to make a hell of thwack.

30-Jun-16
At the Bowshop today shot the new Grimm Reaper prototype 4-blade. Tough head but even opened on cardboard.

03-Jul-16
Years ago I was involved in several broad head test for a major bow company and one head maker,shooting various materials. One day someone came up with shooting a 55 gallon drum at several distances with mechanical heads , trad heads, some worked some failed. But the winner of the drum shoot was the old time steel blunt! LOL so much for testing.

04-Jul-16
I've got to x3 the Rocket Steelheads. They kill more barrels than cancer.

I've tested steelheads in everything from water, through light materials etc to look for opening issues. Everyone knows they penetrate, but I've even taken the "newer gold ones" to an angled piece of plywood, as the angled shots were my greatest concern. Nope, they worked just as efficiently as COC fixed heads I had like Magnus Stingers and VPA's. Even in that "marginal situation." They're simple and downright work. They are my go-to head for anything less than elk. Come this fall for elk, I'll still prob shoot a fixed head though.

• Sitka Gear