iceman 06-Jul-16
Blue Blood 07-Jul-16
Inshart 07-Jul-16
Zbone 08-Jul-16
Tracker12 08-Jul-16
GF 11-Jul-16
Gun 12-Jul-16
30-Jun-16
This time of year and during the rut I see more road kill than any other time.

Who also gets mad and thinks, "Why didn't you just walk by my stand!?!?! Stupid deer."

I don't know why but it just frustrates me to see all that wasted venison.

30-Jun-16
There is no waste.

30-Jun-16
In Cali, the deer are put in the landfill which is often dozed and buried. That's waste.

No salvage tags in my state.

30-Jun-16
I have a knife and a couple bags under the seat for road kill steaks , I have no shame in scavenging some fine steaks. I eat deer 12 months a yr , and even if I don't shoot any I still get meat. yours truly roadkill randy

30-Jun-16
 photo buckroadkill_zpsdeutnrk4.jpg

One night during the rut a couple years back, this bass-turd came out of nowhere...boom!

Air bag went off. Truck raining coolant out the front. It was nearly totalled.

Drug him off the Hwy immediately to avoid anyone else getting damaged. Called AAA...

It's possible he might be missing a backstrap from the "good" side...

30-Jun-16
Can't pick up road kill in the great state of Texas without GW permission. I know, it sounds like Cali or Conn. or one of those commie states, but I think it's to keep cousin Festus from running over one on purpose. These East Texas poachers get creative !

30-Jun-16
elkmtngear: I had a waitress tell me her husband had just bought a brand new Tahoe and a week later hit a huge 6x6.

He took the elk and got a full mount. Said it cost him thousands already so why not a few more.

Pat: Good idea!

30-Jun-16
Several years ago I was working nights and came across a fresh road kill (mid October) and like r-man, I always carry a sharp knife and couple bags.

Pulled over, took out both straps, went back to the office, cleaned em up, put in frig.

Couple days later the game warden (knew I worked nights in that area) told me to be on the lookout for possible poachers who killed a deer and only took out the straps and left the rest to rot.

I told him what happened - he was fine with that and glad it wasn't poachers. I told him I'd let him know next time.

01-Jul-16
Yikes guys, be VERY CAREFUL salvaging meat from road kills. Exactly as Inshart story, you could very well be charged with poaching.

Here in NM it would be illegal to salvage any meat until cleared with Game & Fish.

How's it going to look when you have bloodied hands pulling out backstraps and an officer pulls up behind your truck?

And as drycreek points out, the whole reason for this is to cut down on guys bolting huge cattle catchers on the front of their trucks and mowing down fresh meat whenever they desire.

01-Jul-16

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Somewhere in Texas...

01-Jul-16

Alpinehunter's embedded Photo
Alpinehunter's embedded Photo
Well, This buck sort of ruined both of our days last year when he ran into the driver's side front fender as I was headed back to Vegas in my rental after a really nice hunt. I didn't see him until a few milliseconds before impact as he emerged from the sage at full tilt. It made for a long tow truck ride and a painful check writing to cover the deductible. It's really a shame for his life to end this way. Not meant to be a trophy pose, just to give some perspective.

01-Jul-16
I need to check up on the rules in NY/NJ.... See a lot of RK commuting 3 states to work ...

I was running late for a family function a week or two back and passed a spot where a County Mountie had JUST put one down in the middle of Highway 9 (W). Not sure if it's the same one The Boss mentions in Born to Run... Literally saw the last flop.

Wanted SO BAD to roll up to the guy directing traffic....

"Uhhhh.... You gonna eat that?"

Mostly I pick things up for fly-tying materials, but have also scored a coupla turkeys for wings and fans....

01-Jul-16

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
You need to fill out a State Trooper possession tag or call the DNR in MN to collect a roadkill. Hit one on the opening day, first time out with my son two years ago.

In North metro there is a wolf center that also has bears, some wild cats. They get a lot of the reported roadkill. No waste.

As I recall we also have a law here the owner of the vehicle who hit the animal gets first dibs on antlers or the animal.

This one was hit close to my home, multiple calls to DNR within a short time.

03-Jul-16
Hey Pat - What picatinny forend do you have on your AR (the light colored one)?

Thanks

05-Jul-16
One of the things about a roadkill in which the animal dies instantly if that there is almost no bloodshot.

I've helped butcher a number of moose, some that were about blown apart, and it's amazing how much burger meat you can recover.

06-Jul-16
In CO you must take the whole deer or elk for it to be legal. Then you call it in and the CPW sends you a "Roadkill possession certificate". I've recovered a couple local Subaru kills and most of the meat was great. The bloodshot meat went away....

06-Jul-16
Pat, your ass is in front of one of the yotes.

06-Jul-16
Cool picture, Pat!

07-Jul-16
In Iowa any law enforcement officer can issue you a tag for road kill deer. I work nights in a larger metropolitan area and probably shoot about a dozen wounded deer myself a year. Its hard to find people to take them in the middle of the night. It breaks my heart leaving a nice deer with only a broken on the side of the road. But we're not allowed to write a tag to ourselves. Otherwise Id have a freezer full of backstraps.

07-Jul-16
In MN I've written out several possession tags. Most of the time when they call in the dispatcher tells them to go ahead and take it and then just call the local PD for a tag.

If the timing is right, (towards the end of my shift) I've taken a few.

08-Jul-16
Thanks Pat...

08-Jul-16
Pat Who makes the barrel on that gun. I love the 204 it's a great varmint gun.

11-Jul-16
I need to check up on the rules in NY/NJ.... See a lot of RK commuting 3 states to work ...

I was running late for a family function a week or two back and passed a spot where a County Mountie had JUST put one down in the middle of Highway 9 (W). Not sure if it's the same one The Boss mentions in Born to Run... Literally saw the last flop.

Wanted SO BAD to roll up to the guy directing traffic....

"Uhhhh.... You gonna eat that?"

Mostly I pick things up for fly-tying materials, but have also scored a coupla turkeys for wings and fans....

12-Jul-16

Gun's embedded Photo
Gun's embedded Photo
Buddy was watching this one. Got hit on the road after the farmer was spraying crop and he ran out in front of a vehicle. Bummer would have been a great one.

• Sitka Gear