sitO 30-Jun-16
Jaquomo 30-Jun-16
sitO 30-Jun-16
Charlie Rehor 01-Jul-16
tobinsghost 01-Jul-16
tobinsghost 08-Jul-16
RD 08-Jul-16
30-Jun-16
Do antelope calls work in the rut what is best buck or doe call?

30-Jun-16
I have a little bite call that sounds just like a buck challenge. I've also done it with my mouth but the bite call has a more buzzy-breathy sound. Made by Eastman's/E.L.K.

I've had it work well when challenging from behind a decoy. Problem is in CO it only seems to work the last few days of the season when the rut is kicking in, and I'm usually deep into elk hunting by then.

30-Jun-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
When Mel Dutton who invented the fold-up pronghorn decoy and Brad Harris of Lohman Calls ( the pronghorn buck Challenge Call) hunted together-- Their success rate doubled and was nearly 75 percent in calling in a buck.

The Key, Visual and Audio

Dutton would not hunt using the decoy and call UNTILL he saw the herd buck chasing away smaller bucks from his doe herd.

As Lou stated, that is usually during the last week of Colorado's season after Sept 15th.

my best, Paul

30-Jun-16
That's is a great photo Paul!!!......and I agree with what you stated.

Buck challenge call is what you want to use trackman.

30-Jun-16
Paul, the first time I tried the call/decoy together I did just that - waited until I saw a buck chase another buck, popped up my Mel Dutton (still have it..) and the buck was on me so fast I didn't have time to get my bow up. Didn't expect that!

30-Jun-16
Funny...Elk calls don't work but Pronghorn calls do? It's a crap shoot really, I'd use the decoy with no sound first, and if no reaction maybe hit the challenge call a time er two.

No offense Paul or Lou, just that the odd's are you won't really need it.

30-Jun-16
I've never had any luck using elk calls for pronghorns. I did shoot one once in the aspens while waiting for elk to come down, though, but I didn't call him in - he just walked down the trail.

30-Jun-16
Nice

01-Jul-16
During the rut consider a water hole. The buck and does will get thirsty from all the chasing and come for a drink! Good luck!

01-Jul-16
First time I ever used a call on one, he came rushing in and I still can't figure out which pin I used or if I even used one!! I was so brand new to the sport but it worked. Just be ready to have some fun!

08-Jul-16
First time I ever used a call on one, he came rushing in and I still can't figure out which pin I used or if I even used one!! I was so brand new to the sport but it worked. Just be ready to have some fun!

08-Jul-16
You can imitate their "chuckle" with your voice if you hear it. It worked well for me in the past.

• Sitka Gear