SBH 08-Jul-16
BigOzzie 08-Jul-16
GF 08-Jul-16
smokey 08-Jul-16
GF 08-Jul-16
30-Jun-16

wildwilderness's Link
Saw this on the news

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/06/30/search-continues-bear-killed-west-glacier-man/

When will we have a lower 48 season on Grizzly's?

30-Jun-16
It wouldn't have stopped this - he number of tags they will start with will likely be a very low number.

Just a very unfortunate accident - like a shark attack.

30-Jun-16
Hunting will be outlawed before grizzly bear hunting in the lower 48 would be allowed

30-Jun-16
Wow read the end of the article, six deaths in Montana in the last 6 years.

30-Jun-16
Wouldn't hurt if they had a reason to fear humans. We'll have a grizzly hunt soon, its getting to that point.

02-Jul-16
Wonder how many griz are killed without people knowing...maybe none or maybe more than the tags that would be issued....always curious about that

02-Jul-16
Wonder how many griz are killed without people knowing...maybe none or maybe more than the tags that would be issued....always curious about that

02-Jul-16
Theres a few poached every year for sure. Just like the wolves. Some vigilante predator control going on as ranchers try to protect their lively hood.

02-Jul-16
Were it not for the "poaching" we would have a much worse grizzly problem. If I were a rancher I'd protect my livelihood too. Mike

02-Jul-16
Based on the number of cyclists that run up and down my road ignoring all the rules of the road and being generally very LARGE pain-in-the butts for vehicles, I'd like to import and stock some grizzlies in my area!

Our cyclists need thinning here.

03-Jul-16
Since you you know all of the rules of the road that alone entitles you to be a heartless moron. It is pathetic that you use a public form to open your mouth and prove that you are a fool.

03-Jul-16
A local source told me last night that the biker was on a narrow path and literally ran right into the bear. At least that is what the evidence shows. Under those circumstances it is understandable since the bear would naturally take that as an attack.

God bless, Steve

03-Jul-16
I'm afraid that it's always gonna be "understandable" as long as grizzlies are allowed to live without fear under the present Eye for an Eye Management System.

and the grizz get to go first...

03-Jul-16
"Based on the number of cyclists that run up and down my road ignoring all the rules of the road and being generally very LARGE pain-in-the butts for vehicles, I'd like to import and stock some grizzlies in my area! Our cyclists need thinning here."

That ranks right up there with one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on a website!

03-Jul-16
The problem with a hunt is that it won't be in the areas that need it the most. Namely, Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP.

03-Jul-16
"Since you you know all of the rules of the road that alone entitles you to be a heartless moron. It is pathetic that you use a public form to open your mouth and prove that you are a fool."

You know, I have a CDL license. I DO in fact know (and abide by) the rules of the road. What's pathetic is that 90% of the cyclists that use our roads out here either DON'T know the rules of the road (like stopping at stop signs and staying in their own lanes when they make turns), or they just plain ignore them because they are egotistical fools that think they get special privileges.

I was riding my horse one time along our road when a cyclist came whizzing past me with NO warning whatsoever. Fortunately my horse was an old quarter horse who was basically bomb proof, but even he jumped a bit. The guy was close enough that if my horse had kicked out with one foot he's have taken the idiot's head off. He probably wouldn't have missed it anyway as he obviously didn't use it much.

But thanks for showing on a public forum the arrogance and general disregard cyclists have for the rest of us.

03-Jul-16
You're now 0 for 2 WW! Care to make it 3, as with these two posts you've really shown you don't get it and your IQ is lower than that horse you were riding!!

04-Jul-16
Ya, those are as bad as the posts I read from the anti- hunters on the news forums.

Sad that we have that kind of mentality here too.

04-Jul-16
Not really related but I nearly created another similar statistic yesterday. Driving through a small town and some nimrod on a scooter drives right through a stop sign and onto main street RIGHT in front of my truck. Barely dodged him. Glad I didn't have to live with that the rest of my life.

As far as people dying in the wild, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. When you think about all the freak accidents that happen, I am sure you are safer in the wild than you are in the city. The odd guy gets attacked by a bear, the odd guys fall from cliffs, get killed in avalanches, etc, not trying to be heartless as every death is heart-wrenching no doubt, but who would have thought you'd get beheaded on a greyhound bus, or shot randomly in the city.

I'd take my chances outside.

07-Jul-16
If one is a Govt Worker, outside in Grizz habitat. Why not carry pepper spray, a 45 or have a Karelian Bear dog ? It would be like a one in Chicago with no protection or Plan of Reaction ?

07-Jul-16
AXE MAN Date: 07-Jul-16 If one is a Govt Worker, outside in Grizz habitat. Why not carry pepper spray, a 45 or have a Karelian Bear dog ? It would be like a one in Chicago with no protection or Plan of Reaction ?

He wasn't on duty at the time and from what the investigation stated the bear was on him so fast and knocked him from his bike such that a handgun or pepper spray would have probably been useless.

07-Jul-16
"A local source told me last night that the biker was on a narrow path and literally ran right into the bear. "

I damn near plowed into a cow Elk on spring... Could've gotten real messy.

Interesting debate here, though.. I'm sure that this wilderness mountain biker was violating NUMEROUS traffic laws when he got bit.

But I'm sure that a cyclist would have PLENTY of time for a device requiring two hands to operate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdRlWz-1pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc

07-Jul-16

07-Jul-16
GF, that first video has since been proven fake but the second one is real for sure.

As an avid cyclist I follow the rules when road or mountain biking. I admit though there are some cyclists that do not follow the rules but I am sure it is nowhere near 90%. It has been my experience that there are a lot of motorists that either do not know what cycling rules are or they just ignore them.

I have had close calls with both deer and bear here in WI. but the black bears tend to just run away.

07-Jul-16
I just got back from Glacier national park ,had a awesome time hiking the back country. I was there when the biker got killed by the Grizzly and it is a unfortunate event.

The cyclists I saw in Glacier gave no regards to the law whatsoever. The going to the sun road is a narrow two lane at best and is off limits for cyclists, clearly marked with signs. I had a biker try and pass my car going way to fast and nearly caused a head-on collision as he tried to cut in front of me as other traffic was coming up the road. if you ever traveled this road there is no where to go left or right. this was just one of many problems with them as i had to come to a crawl and wait as they hogged up the road with no way to pass.

I really lost my respect for non law abiding cyclists after last week.

07-Jul-16
It's 90% where I live. They almost NEVER obey a stop sign. I've had THREE situations in the past month where I had to lock my brakes up and head off the road to avoid killing them as they came straight at me IN MY LANE from a blind corner (blew through a stop sign...again...) and over a blind hill.

I sure hope they don't drive their cars like that.

08-Jul-16
Woods Walker makes a point. Bikers where I live are insane. Lets forget the rules for one second, EVEN if the cyclist is in the right and has the law on their side, when an accident happens it won't matter. They will be "right" but DEAD. We're talking about thousands of pounds of steel hitting a person at 30mph.....it won't matter what the laws say. The biker is dead and the driver may be facing jail time if they broke a rule. Nobody wins. I'm constantly having to go around bikers on two lane roads with no shoulders where they assume they have a right to be there yet can't do the 45-50 mph speed limit. Dangerous stuff. This thread is getting off track though.

08-Jul-16

08-Jul-16
Smokey - I have no idea how that could've been faked, but will ale your word for it, seeing as it really doesn't 100% add up...

But somebody must've gotten fairly close to a bear to get the video at the end... No desire to get that close to one unless I were holding a bow in one hand and a tag in the other!

08-Jul-16
I am not defending cyclists that break the law, quite the opposite actually.

If I biked in grizzly country two things I would do is make more noise and ride in groups.

Here in WI. cyclist have three feet of pavement. When motor vehicle operators kill a cyclist they usually get off with a slap on the wrist.

08-Jul-16
Yep. I always had a bell tied on to the rails of my saddle in back. Non-stop ding-a-linging was always OK by me, but it didn't bother that cow Elk I almost barreled into..,

Temple bell my grandmother brought home from Thailand before I was born. Cool dragons; nice tone.

• Sitka Gear