Z Barebow 01-Jul-16
Jaquomo 01-Jul-16
tkjwonta 01-Jul-16
pav 01-Jul-16
W 01-Jul-16
TD 02-Jul-16
xbowWI 02-Jul-16
01-Jul-16
I'd like to get opinions from the bowsite elk hunting experts about how to "plan" for when/how best to schedule LE elk hunts.

I have built up several points in both AZ and UT and should be able to draw a tag in the lesser/midtier units in the next couple years. My question is, what is the optimal timing (in terms of years) to do these hunts? Do you apply consistently each year until you draw and run the risk of drawing both tags in the same year? Or focus on one state and then the other? If so, which one first? Try to go guided on the first hunt then DIY the second?

Some background that might be useful in forming your opinion. My goal is to have multiple encounters with 300" elk near or in the rut. I don't need to shoot a giant, I just want to get up close and personal with a rutting bull or two. I have never really elk hunted previously, but did run into a few while in grad school in Utah and on previous mule deer hunts in CO and NV.

As a teacher from Iowa, with two small children, I can't really do 10-14 days away from home and two tags in the same year would be nearly impossible.

I'd love to hear any opinions that you guys have. Thanks!

01-Jul-16
Need to get out on a hunt or two before you draw a good tag. Maybe otc just for some experience. You can get otc tags in several states like Colorado or Oregon. it's all about time in the woods.

01-Jul-16
+1 Royboy

On the Utah LE points you can certainly purchase the Archery Spike/cow tag for like $388.00 and be able to hunt them with in many of the LE Bow Bull LE units.

Not only do you get actual Elk hunting experience but knowledge of the LE unit (s) you may be interested in some day drawing in Utah.

Good luck, Robb

01-Jul-16
+2- I would look into buying a cow tag and hunting the same time period you "think" would work. You will have best intel available, (Your own) and you will also corroborate that it is worth cashing in points when it is time to draw.

01-Jul-16
Agree with all. I know guys who waited 20 years to hunt CO premium units and have never bowhunted elk, or maybe once or twice. They struggled. Even in the very best units, it's not easy hunting. Just bigger bulls and fewer hunters. But the principles of hunting and killing elk are the same.

Learn to hunt elk first, then worry about what happens if you draw the tag(s). As far as guided vs. unguided, depends upon your budget and how you want the hunt to go down. With little or no experience and a very short timeframe, a guided hunt might be your best bet.

01-Jul-16
Thanks guys for all the input! My hesitation with doing an OTC hunt or two first was potentially getting turned off of elk hunting with the crowds and relative lack of opportunities in general units.

I really enjoy my annual high country mule deer hunts, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to skip a year for a sub-par elk experience. But it's probably worthwhile if it leads to a better hunt later on.

Hopefully I'll have a successful hunt or two to share with you over the next few years.

01-Jul-16
I was 40 years old when I first set foot in the Rockies.

Started buying LE points a few years before that. Based on the exact same advice...from the exact same website...I cut my elk hunting teeth in Colorado.

Killed three raghorn bulls on my first three trips to Colorado...and felt much better prepared when I finally started drawing LE elk tags.

01-Jul-16
If you have any access to great Iowa whitetail land, you may be able to work out a trade with someone in elk country. Archery elk hunting usually requires time. If you only have a week, which is including travel time, that may be too tight. Especially DIY. Also, just go hunt if you want to hunt elk. Point creep makes it hard to get ahead when building points.

02-Jul-16
"I can't really do 10-14 days away from home and two tags in the same year would be nearly impossible."

10 to 14 days IMO is ONE tag... not two. I'd have a hard time gearing up and making the effort for less. There are some elk hunting legends here.... monsters in the elk hunting world... they aren't planning many 5 day season hunts, even if the planets happen to align and they kill something the first day or three.... it wasn't the plan... time in the field is huge.

To draw a great tag and only have 5 days in the field... you maybe should be looking at a good guide/outfitter service as well.... especially if not putting in some OTC DIY foundation time in first....

just sayin...

02-Jul-16
Short or long term strategy...accumulation of knowledge is absolutely number one! If you're short on experience, learning everything you can is critical! Study the elk101university course intently and keep going over all it offers, following scouting and planning advice! You'll be way ahead! Good hunting!

• Sitka Gear