iceman 06-Jul-16
Rick M 06-Jul-16
sticksender 06-Jul-16
TreeWalker 06-Jul-16
Rick M 06-Jul-16
sisabdulax 14-Jul-16
04-Jul-16
Hey folks,

Buddy of mine drew an S9 archery tag. Due to circumstances beyond his control he doesnt have time to scout so he is planning on winging it. Anyone willing to give him a bread crumb to at least get started? Any help appreciated.

Thanks Mike

04-Jul-16

05-Jul-16
I just did a search....typed in "S9". Got 8 pages on threads with 10 threads per page. That my bread crumb for the day.

05-Jul-16
Get in SHAPE!

05-Jul-16
Hire Sangre De Cristo Outfitters.

05-Jul-16
did the search thanks, no outfitter DIY thanks.

05-Jul-16
Good luck. A sheep tag would seem too valuable to wing.

05-Jul-16
What a waste not to put in time for a once in a lifetime type tag. Your buddy is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he is going to "wing it" and kill a ram in S9

05-Jul-16
Best advice for someone not able to scout was given by njbuck.

Questions-

What is this friends fitness level? Be honest. What is this friends archery skill level and equipment? Effective range? What is this friends archery hunting skill level? How any days can they hunt? If they can't get scouting time in are they really going to hunt? Have they hunted sheep before? Have they hunted in the Sangres for any species before?

There is the option of turning the tag in for a point reinstatement but that time is 30 days before the season which is TOMORROW!

http://cpw.state.co.us/refunds

Sandbrew

06-Jul-16
Maybe the OP could scout for his friend.

06-Jul-16
Once in a lifetime tag..let's wing it. Sheesh.

06-Jul-16
S9 is a tough unit. Sheep are scattered, rugged, high altitude etc. Many walk out of there early with an unpunched tag.

Look at the prior kill info for a start. Hope they have a lot of time to commit to the hunt.

06-Jul-16
If I couldn't scout for an archery sheep hunt, I'd only keep the tag if both my physical condition and my schedule availability were such that I could hunt every day of the season, dawn to dusk. The tag is just too rare and valuable to treat lightly.

That being said, there's no reason to "wing it". Colorado publishes historical kill location data going back as far as 13 years for every sheep unit. For many of the kill sites, exact GPS locations are provided. No doubt the other 10 guys with tags for S9 will be targeting the same areas, but proper use of this data should prevent going in totally blind.

Problem with not scouting though, is that he won't have located good glassing spots, or the access routes to those spots, or have a sense of where rams are hanging out in current times, or have created multiple back-up plans, and etc. Either way though it's a bighorn sheep hunt, and I wish the best of luck to your friend!

06-Jul-16
What is the success rate for archery on that hunt the past decade? Trending up? Down? I assume if no prior scouting for how to get to sheep, where to glass, camp, etc then cut the success rate in half. If not in good shape for latitude and weather than cut the revised odds in half one more time. If have not hunted sheep, knock off a bit more.

I looked and the archery season in S9 accounted for 1 ram 4 seasons ago, 1 ram 3 seasons ago, then 2 then 5 last season. So with 30 hunters stepping into S9 to use archery-only tags there were 9 rams harvested over the past 4 years. The harvest trend is rising so let's say 40% odds if an average hunter shows up to hunt that the tag is filled.

I would estimate a 1 in 5 chance your friend harvests. That may be generous if there are issues with hiking up steep stuff while at altitude due to weather or conditioning or tolerance of altitude.

Those are decent odds and if your friend is more about the adventure than filling the tag then more than likely he will leave the mountain happy. If he really wants to havest a sheep then I would suggest at a minimum speaking with successful archery hunters that hunted S9 the past few years. Hiring a guide is the next step but that will most likely diminish the level of the adventure.

06-Jul-16
Sangre de Cristo outfitters accounted for the vast majority of those sheep.

14-Jul-16
He has killed sheep and goats before. Was just looking for a starting point... All traditional too. Thanks all for the positive feedback. Sometimes life happens and ya deal with what ya can do.

• Sitka Gear