redneckjoe83 05-Jul-16
DL 05-Jul-16
redneckjoe83 05-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jul-16
redneckjoe83 05-Jul-16
SDHNTR(home) 06-Jul-16
redneckjoe83 06-Jul-16
05-Jul-16
got a tag for mule deer in the D3-5 zone, I am thinking of checking out caples lake area. can anyone offer up some input on this area? I'm in SO NEV and uncle Sam doesn't give me much time to travel for scouting purposes. I have been doing some research on the net and it looks like a pretty good area. any info would be helpful and appreciated.

thanks in advance

05-Jul-16
Lots of access to public lands off hwy 88. if your hunting during archery season not so many hunters rifle season tends to get crowded with road hunters though (they seem to be down by Bear River Res though) Caples and other surounding lakes tend to get a fair amount of visitors during august-spetmember. The trailheads usaully have hikers horseback riders ect.. I have a cabin at silver lake and spend a lot of time up there during those months (as do others before it is snowed in)As for deer I have seen deer all over up there. If it is your first time in the area just get a good map and dont be afraid to go to a different area. Also consider getting a bear tag too. If have any area specific questions let me know I will do my best to answer them for you.

Adam

05-Jul-16
Adam,

I will be up there for archery season and hopefully all goes well and I wont need to take another trip out for rifle season, I purchased a bear tag also. what is the weather like in that area around the end of august. from what I have read the area can get some good rain around that time (end of august / early September), not sure if that is actually the case but I don't want to get caught without the proper layers. is there a lot of bears in the area? I will be tent camping so I'm sure there will be extra precautions for storing food.

Joe

05-Jul-16
Joe, Weather can be sunny and warm one minute then pouring rain/hail the next.

There are bears up there, they like to rummage through my trash cans!!!! Depending on if you camp in a campground in the area most have bear lockers for storage, If you are camping off of a forrest road then just don't leave food out. I would not be worried about a bear trashing my camp. If you leave out last nights steak dinner or something, might be a different story though...

05-Jul-16
Adam,

so your saying I should put a blind on the porch and watch the garbage cans? hahaha. thanks for the info

05-Jul-16
Adam,

so your saying I should put a blind on the porch and watch the garbage cans? hahaha. thanks for the info

05-Jul-16
You are a NV resident and you are coming to hunt crowded National Forest in an open CA zone? I hope you have realistic expectations. By that I mean lots of crowds and few deer, at least on public. Private, foothill country is another story. Personally, I'd think your efforts would be much better spent in your home state.

05-Jul-16
SDHNTR,

I would hunt my home state but I didn't draw any tags so next best thing was an OTC. yes my expectations are realistic, I know that any OTC TAG isn't going to be in prime deer country. its a chance to hunt and may be a small chance to harvest but that's ok with me.

05-Jul-16
There's a road that goes from caples lake to hwy 50. I went through it several times years ago in a samurai when it was a mess. Seems to be good in the areas to the north near 50. Not for a pickup. Lots of bears around Strawberry creek on the north end and around Cody Meadows. That road gets you pretty high up in elevation. When you find bear sign Id park myself in the late afternoon til dark. I got one there at around 6:00pm. Hunt uphill from your vehicle there. In places it's steep and its a lot easier dragging something downhill at 6-9,000 feet I've seen more on the north end of that road. I drive in with my truck and hike up that OHV road for a mile or so and hunt from there.

05-Jul-16
Thanks DL I appreciate the info.

Joe

05-Jul-16
I sent you a PM. If that link doesn't work, let me know and I'll email it to you.

05-Jul-16
idyllwild,

thank you very much the link did work, that is an impressive link.

06-Jul-16
AZ is also a lot closer to Southern NV, and better hunting than CA. South of the Grand Cyn, tags are OTC.

06-Jul-16
SDHNTR,

thanks for the info, maybe ill give that a shot next year if I don't draw in Nevada again.

Joe

• Sitka Gear