hunt'n addict 07-Jul-16
deserve2bworked 07-Jul-16
deserve2bworked 07-Jul-16
Velvet Muley 07-Jul-16
oldgoat 07-Jul-16
cityhunter 08-Jul-16
XbowfromNY 08-Jul-16
05-Jul-16
Just returned from a scout trip in Nevada. No worries on where to hunt or water. But, August 10th will be hot!! The wife and dog will need shade to stay alive because where we plan to hunt, the camp spots don't offer any shade. what do you do to create shade that helps. One year in Unit 15 we put up a tarp. It was hotter under the tarp. Next day the hurricane winds blew it half way up the mt. What works for you? (No generators - air conditioners please!)

05-Jul-16
I always camp by a creek if iam not staying on top of the MTN.I use EZ-ups with some tarps,and 3 ft long rebar drivin into the ground at each leg and tie to upper part of the EZ-up(for the wind).Take along some hand held misters our take a new bug sprayer and attach it to a patio mister set up.just pump the sprayer and you have mist with the shade

05-Jul-16
Have lived in Nevada and hunted archery season for many years. We usually set up an EasyUP shelter (not the cheap ones) and stake it down with rope and big anchors. Most years it works great but once had pretty high wind which destroyed the canopy altho the frame was ok. Got replacement thru Amazon and now going strong. The heat is good for hunting as it makes the bucks predictable- they will be in the shade.

05-Jul-16

IdyllwildArcher's Link
I have one of these. Cheap, easy to deploy and take down. Stakes down in case of wind.

05-Jul-16

IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo

05-Jul-16
My friends are dog handlers and use these over their vehicle when parked with dogs inside. The inside of vehicle is a lot cooler. Huge difference!

http://www.silvershademesh.com/

scroll down to:

http://www.silvershademesh.com/TentPage.html

05-Jul-16

HockeyDad's Link
I run dogs in hunt tests in the summer, and have to agree with raghorn. These types of foil mesh blankets are second to none. It can be 100 degrees outside, but underneath it is bearable, with a little wind its very comfortable.

06-Jul-16
Thanks for the advice. Have contacted silvershade. Pretty easy to see how that fabric will give shade, reflect the sun, and allow air circulation much better than my heavy canvas tarp! Silvershade over an Ez-up might keep us from roasting! Thanks again

06-Jul-16
Might want to keep things you want to stay dry in a tent or truck,thunder storms where daily last year.Not sure I would use it on a MTN with lightning.Maybe you can report back after the hunt and let us know.Good luck on the hunt

06-Jul-16
After years of Lightning storms ,Fires ,Howling Winds, Intense Heat and no shade on antelope bowhunts in Nevada I can give you some sound advise . this advise comes from my wife . Leave the girls and dog at home and make the best of a tough environment. Some years we would lay down under the truck with wet towels over our heads, and sleep on top of our sleeping bags at nite. best of luck

07-Jul-16
And this is the reason I'll probably never go hunt Nevada's archery season:-( It's just too damn hot for me that time of year! Good luck man, I'm envious, even if I don't want to go, really love that country! Maybe some year I'll get a rifle tag and hunt with my bow when it's cooler out!

07-Jul-16

deserve2bworked's embedded Photo
Our archery Nevada camp. And why I'm working on shade!

07-Jul-16

Took this photo from our camp looking up the hill.

07-Jul-16

We had company shortly after taking that fire plane photo.

07-Jul-16

Packed up in a hurry and left. Took this photo driving out. Unit 151 Nevada.

07-Jul-16
By the looks of that you didn't need to worry about shade that day. Were they advising you to leave?

07-Jul-16
They said we must leave in less than 30 minutes. A rancher came in to open gates so his cattle could get away. He and his wife and kids helped us load gear in our trailer and pickup. In a hurry!

07-Jul-16
They said we must leave in less than 30 minutes. A rancher came in to open gates so his cattle could get away. He and his wife and kids helped us load gear in our trailer and pickup. In a hurry!

07-Jul-16
There isn't much you can do except camp by some aspen groves or willows with a creek. It's a little cooler in there.

Been doing archery Nevada deer for a while and the only thing that keeps me going is the big velvet Muley's.

07-Jul-16
Where I hunted South of Austin, there were a lot more trees and was 10k feet, might be a little more cooler

08-Jul-16
i hunted cali in July it was 106 tough going it wrecked havoc on my string and cables sleeping at night was impossible

08-Jul-16
Wet Republic's umbrellas are the best source of shade in Nevada.

• Sitka Gear