Russell 09-Jul-16
Fulldraw1972 10-Jul-16
Ambush 10-Jul-16
Ambush 10-Jul-16
Bou'bound 30-Aug-16
Florida Mike 30-Aug-16
huntmaster 30-Aug-16
06-Jul-16
Ok, fellas thanks for the information on flights but lets get to the equipment and clothes. I'm from Ohio and deer hunt mainly plus small critters but never been on a mountain hunt. I would like to start off with what clothes I should be taking. I'm not familiar what so ever with mountain/out West clothes. I have clothing for my deer hunting and that's it. I need to start with base layers and work outward. I don't mind spending money but I'm not made out of money either. When suggestions are made please be specific as possible. It would also be helpful to know the weights of the clothing and brand that I should be purchasing. I'm going to REI this week or the beginning of next for boot selection as the Cabela's or Bass Pro don't offer boots that may need and I like to try them on instead of ordering blind. I have a day pack and cold weather Cabela's clothing but it may be to heavy (berber). The KUIU outlet has the Ultra 6000 full kit for $200 and was curious if that's a good pack. Not sure how often or when I next would the pack so I don't want to go out for that. I also will be using Helly Hansen rain gear, Impertech and Impertech. Does bibs in the rain gear work better than the pants? I don't know if it matter but I will be toten a rifle and not a bow, take that one easy on me. I bow hunt deer like a freak but that alot of coin to take a chance on. Anyways, fellas help me spend some money. Thanks

07-Jul-16
I like bibs but a few hunters I have had like pants.

Layering is your Huckleberry !!! lightweight under ...

Don't skimp on boots and break them in ... taking care of your feet is extremely important. Don't need to be heavy insulated type but must have good ankle support. Take enough good smart wool (thinner type) socks to last .. wet socks don't cut it.

A good pack to carry a heavy load will be needed. Even if you have a packer along.

Get a compression stuff sack to reduce the size of your sleeping bag. REI has good ones.

07-Jul-16
Yes the KUIU ultra is a good pack. It is on the website this AM for $369. If you can get it for $200 buy it, use it once and sell it for a profit. That is a flat out steal.

07-Jul-16
Here is a layering example: 1. under armor cold gear base 2. under armor hoodie 3. puffy vest 4. wool jacket/pant 5. rain coat/pant

This is what I bring when I guide goat hunts in Oct. Maybe soft shell instead of wool for Sept.

07-Jul-16
Helly Hansen Impertech is what I used last year on a mountain goat hunt and it kept me dry. You will want bibs over pants.

Since you only have a few months to get your gear together, for clothing I would go to Sitka Gear's website and click on the Big Game tab and go through the System Builder. It will ask you a few questions and give you a list of what you need.

I'm guessing other clothing manufactures might have a similar tool but I have only used the Sitka Gear tool.

If you haven't already done it you should also ask your guide what he recommends. He will have a lot of experience with the terrain and weather in the particular area you are hunting that could affect what clothing you should bring.

07-Jul-16
I got a discount on these from Shoebuy:

http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-bighorn-hunter-g3-gtx/608779

It looks as though they are offering a 20% discount right now. Their return policy is very good. I wear a 10.5 in a dress shoes and cowboy boots and a 11.5 in these. I'd order a couple of sizes to compare and go from there.

I used them on an Alaska Range Sheep hunt and they are a great boot. Order them ASAP so that you can get them broken-in.

And don't forget trekking poles!

07-Jul-16
Bayou, Shoot me a PM with your email and I can send you my packing list for my September goat hunt this year. It will be a good guide for you to follow.

Like all of these guys said, start with base layers and go out from there. I will be wearing mostly KUIU gear this trip, but have used Sitka with great results in the past as well.

You also have to decide if you are going to go on several of these types of trips or just one. It will dictate how much you invest in your gear.

07-Jul-16
You didn't mention where you're hunting goats in Sept.

Guided hunt? If yes, I'd ask the guide for recommendation.

Think light, multi-purpose, and multi-day wear of clothing.

Two pair of Darn Tough socks will last a long time during a hunt.

Merino wool for all base layers including underware.

Don't go cheap on the boots. Spend the extra money and get the good stuff.

Good luck on the hunt. Get them legs in shape backpacking.

07-Jul-16
Me personally I would want lighter rain gear then Helly Hanson. Atleast on a back pack hunt. I use the Cabelas Space rain gear. Very light and packs very small. Some of that would be depending on where your hunting and how much rain.

07-Jul-16
I have all Sitka and first lite for my upcoming goat hunt. Also Sitka cloud burst rain gear. Using kenetrek mountain extreme uninsulated boots and a stone glacier pack. A big thing that I learned here is buy the best you can afford. I skimped on a few things and ended up buying the better product in the end costing me more money.

07-Jul-16
Sitka and First lite clothes Sitka Cloudburst rain gear Kenetrek mtn extreme boots Kifaru EMRII pack Same as g5smoke21, don't skimp on gear. Buy the best you can afford. Good luck

07-Jul-16
I've worn Impertech pants and like them. My first pair finally wore out in the crotch and you could see light thru the pant legs from devil's club.

Prince William sound where I've hunted several times is the wettest place you will likely encounter in your life. Expect rain about 75% of the days and often continuous for many days.

07-Jul-16
Thanks for the suggestions and I called Kuiu today about their ultra 6000 and they are sold out of it and have not taken it down yet. As far as location, the hunt will be in Northern BC. I sent you a private message huntmaster for your list, thank you. I get the laying with starting with merino but there several different weights to base layers. Don't know where to start with the weights in the different base layers. It is a guided hunt but enjoy asking others what has worked on their trip. I will be doing more trips but at the current prices they will be every other year. I have previously been to Africa but that gear is not going to cut it. Also as to fitting of the clothes, I wear XL in the clothes that I have for deer hunting but should that same logic work from base layers to outer shell? Be patient as the questions are going to keep coming, thanks

08-Jul-16
I wear xl in everything as well. When it comes to jackets it's 2xl. Sitka clothing fits me like other brands of clothing I wear.

I agree with others. Buy the best you can. What month is your hunt?

08-Jul-16
The hunt will be starting September 9th and I can't wait to stand on one of those beautiful mountains.

08-Jul-16
As far as boots Lathrope and sons in Robinson IL does a nice job of ensuring you get the exact fit,

i drove out to see them several years back and they were very accommodating they have several different brands to choose from i settled with the Hanwag Alaska GTX and am very pleased. Good luck with your hunt.

08-Jul-16
My goat hunt was in October and didn't use (or want) anything insulated or heavy. They are physical hunts and you will be sweating shortly after leaving camp or the truck. I used a couple different layers of merino wool. One short sleeve shirt, with a long sleeve shirt or two depending on temp. and either a down or merino wool vest. They quickly came off and didn't take up any room in my pack. No insulated boots for me on mountain hunts. I never wear them unless I'm sitting in a tree stand. I also think the Helly Hanson stuff would be too heavy and hot unless pinned down for a while. If I remember right, I believe Blacktail Bob loves it, so that does speak volumes. As far as rain gear, I have Sitka. Good luck! The research and gear buying is part of the fun!

09-Jul-16
I second the call to Lathrope and Sons. Non-insulated boots for sure. If they get wet, insulated boots are doomed on a hunt.

I'm not a fan of Kuiu's backpacks (Icon Pro 5200). They squeaked and the load-lifters were not effective for me.

Sold the pack and bought a Kifaru system. Much better.

Suggest you buy a digital bag hanging scale. Found one on Ebay for less than $20 or so. 110# cap and reads in tenth (oz, lbs, kg, etc).

Weigh all the stuff you are considering carrying. Some items weigh much less than other like items.

A strong leaf bag weighs much less than commercial waterproof bags.

The scale is handy for weighing luggage for airline travel too. I don't leave home without it.

I bought a pair of sandals at Walmart to wear during non-hunting time for my upcoming goat hunt. Selected the pair that weighted the least. Weights varied a lot between the different models.

Good luck on the upcoming hunt.

09-Jul-16
We vacuum seal a lot of clothing items before our hunts. Like a couple pairs of socks or one underwear - undershirt or long-underwear per seal up ...

The plastic you use for sealing weighs nothing and it sucks the items small saving in space and keeping needed items dry, until you open them up.

Been doing it for years on backpack type hunts.

Also vacuum seal up some food items like coffee / tea packets, oatmeal packets, snack packs, salt - pepper - sugar, etc.

09-Jul-16
So how many pants do you pack? Sounds like light bottom and top next to skin base layer with a mid weight base over that as needed for top and bottom, both merino. A vest or light jacket and a puffy if needed. Of course head and gloves, heading to REI to see what they have as far as boot selection.

09-Jul-16
It's only a 8 day hunt and the outfitter said we would only be on the mountain about 4 days. I bought a pair of lowas renegade GTXs. I have a question on proper boot size. I wear a 10 in cowboy boots, 11 in tennis shoes which are a little big but I like them that way, a 11 in brush boots with 400 grams thinsulate and a 12 in my late season with 800 or 1000 grams thinsulate. My boots I bought tonight are 11 uninsulated with a liner and medium merino socks. in my new boots my heel doesn't slip but a little tight across the top of my foot. I tried on a 11 wide which was to sloppy and also 11.5 which felt better on the top of my foot but my heel slip a little bit. I'm thinking the 11's will break in a little or maybe stretch, they fit more like a glove. Does all that make sense? I also tried on some pants at rei and their climbing/rock pants seemed really thin. I did try on some kuhls which were nice but thicker like my carhart pants. It almost seems like my carhart pants/not the jean type, would be ok. I bought 3 pairs of medium weight-merino socks and liners and thanks to the above reply one pair of pants sound like they will work. Also will probably order the kuiu icon pro 5200 next week unless I should get the 7200?

09-Jul-16
No guidance on the boots, but I don't wear liners for hiking. Only a pair of Darn Tough crew socks, boot cushion #1403. Love them. Wear the same pair 3x per week then get washed.

I'm wearing a pair of Kuiu Attack pants on my goat hunt the end of Aug in BC.

Carrying a pair of merino wool bottoms (100 wt), and a pair of super light wt rain pants.

The Icon Pro 5200 would be fine. Used it on two hunts then sold it.

Buy a pair of these too. High Country Synergy Footbeds

09-Jul-16
Don't forget trekking poles! I've been on a bunch of sheep/goat hunts in Alaska/Colo. Treking poles were always a life saver with 80+ lb loads on super steep, rocky slopes. I would also advise against Kuiu packs...read the reviews! Stone Glacier or Kifaru are the way to go especially for 60 to 80+ lb loads! Buy the best breathable raingear you can afford. I wouldn't buy a rain jacket without pitzips.

I know it may be a little late but I would recommend a boot a little stiffer than Lowa Renegades for steep, rocky slopes. I own Lowa Renegades, Tibets and Scarpa Kailach and will be taking my Scarpas on an Alaska goat hunt this fall....used them last year on a dall sheep hunt, and 3 other hunts prior to that. The Scarpas are my go-to sheep, goat, and elk boots. My Lowa Tibets would work but are heavier and stiffer than the Scarpas.

09-Jul-16
I'm wearing the Lowa Cevedale GTX Lathrop & Sons Tech-Light Hunter boots.

10-Jul-16
I wear Kuhl pants a lot. They do make a lighter version. I pretty much only wear them in the summer.

10-Jul-16
Living, working and playing in northern BC for the past 36 years has taught me a couple of things about mountain hunts.

First is that in the northern BC mountains expect everything from sunburn to hypothermia on the same trip. You don't need multiple of changes of clothes, you just need to keep the ones you're wearing dry. You need rain pants that you can easily pull over your boots. If not, you will put off wearing them until it is too late. You need good gaiters and put them on before leaving camp.

STAY DRY!!

I've gone back to wool and down, Some fleece, but not much. Rain gear can also be used as a windbreaker, which you will need when sitting on a ridge for several hours waiting for that billy to make a mistake.

Buy REAL Merino wool. You can raise and shear Merino sheep in Bangladesh. Get the good stuff from a reputable manufacturer. Not WalMart.

On a typical several day mountain hunt, I will have two pair of IceBreaker briefs, a 150 or heavier IB long johns and a 150 plus a 200, long sleeve undershirt. You can layer them. Two pair of IB or similar socks and two light wool liner socks. Wash your socks in creeks and hang them on your pack to dry as you hike around.

A pair of Crocs is great and worth the little weight for the first and last trip out of the tent. And it gives your boots and feet more time to dry out.

I also carry a hooded down jacket and heavier down vest. I buy quality stuff from North Face, etc, when on sale. I've added a pair of the Kiuiu Qwix down pants to. The down clothing can up the rating of your sleeping bag, so you save some weight there. I wear some Sitka stuff, but it is old and bought on huge discounts because it's not the latest patterns. I love Mothwing in the mountains. All these articles of clothing can be used at home on your deer hunts too. I would advise against blowing $1,000 on a Sitka jacket and pants. Separate wool/fleece/rain gear combos will be cheaper and more versatile.

To reiterate Maverick's suggestion. Buy a 40-60 pack of unscented baby wipes and put them in a medium size ZipLock. Same for disinfectant hand wipes. And, no, they are not the same thing!! Also get a roll of the paper towels that come in half sheets. Fold up separately, about four half sheets per day depending on your routine. Put those in a ZipLock. Now put the three small bags into one larger ZipLock. That is your "comfort pack". Don't leave camp without it.

Break in your new boots!! Go to the store, mow the lawn, walk, hike and pack a load in them. Go up and down steep hills, even if it's only a few yards long. If you have a short steep hill, walk slowly up backwards, with a pack on. That will tell you if you're going to have toe problems. Learn to tie your boots for uphill and downhill. Waterproof your new boots with the recommended treatment.

As far as packs go, check for good used packs on the hiking/climbing sites or Ebay. Arcteryx and similar are fantastic packs and cost a third or less in price. Buy a camo rain cover and you're good to go. You need a pack cover anyway.

Welcome to BC! And please kill some wolves and bears while you're here!

10-Jul-16
I forgot one piece of gear that always goes with me.

That's a SD Sil-Poncho. You can quickly throw it over yourself, pack on, during a sudden storm. Also, with one or two trekking poles you can make a very weatherproof, quick shelter.

30-Aug-16

30-Aug-16
You should print what "AMBUSH" wrote and memorize it! Its that valuable! Mike

30-Aug-16
Thanks for the bump Bou, I was finalizing my list last night and this was a good reminder.

• Sitka Gear