wild1 07-Jul-16
GhostBird 07-Jul-16
safari 07-Jul-16
Bowfreak 08-Jul-16
Ollie 08-Jul-16
Flincher 09-Jul-16
Buffalo1 09-Jul-16
07-Jul-16
Do I need shots for my trip to South Africa???

Outfitter says I don't need any, but doctor is questioning this.

07-Jul-16
My outfitter said I didn't need any for the eastern cape, but my wife insisted. I made sure my tetanus was up to date, and was immunized for yellow fever, typhoid, and seems like something else.

I'm not sure it was necessary for South Africa, but my wife is a nurse practitioner and insisted :)

07-Jul-16
When it comes to health care, I would listen more to a doctor than a PH. Your outfitter may be referring to whether you will be in an area known to have malaria. Your physician can look up CDC recommendations for the specific area that you will be hunting in. Malaria is not the only thing to be concerned with in Africa. You don't want to have to seek health care once in Africa as the quality of care can be very hit or miss.

07-Jul-16
Deerman1,

No shots are REQUIRED for US residents entering RSA. However, Hepatitis A & B vaccines, and a recent Tetanus booster are recommended.... If you are traveling directly to and from your outfitter's camp via Johannesburg with no side excursions to other provinces, and assuming you are not going to be intimate with any of the locals, you should be fine.

Malaria meds are recommended if you will be traveling up in the area of Kruger Park. Still, most of RSA is considered malaria-free and risk of malaria is very low especially during the months of May-September.

However, if you feel more comfortable taking malaria meds, check with your family doctor as to the best meds to take. Some are better tolerated than others as far as side effects.... Have a great trip!

07-Jul-16
Do as your doctor recommends. The shots are minimal. I had and updated tetanus and Hep B and C. I had been previously been immunized for Hep B but I no longer had antibodies for it....so I had to take it again too.

07-Jul-16
That's what it was. Hep A and B shots too

07-Jul-16
we got A and B hep, tetanus and flu

07-Jul-16
we got A and B hep, tetanus and flu

07-Jul-16
thanks men!!

07-Jul-16

wild1's Link
Easy fix (the Doc should know this). Go to www.cdc.gov

Click on "Traveler's Health", then "Destinations"

See link.

07-Jul-16
Up to date Tetanus & Hepatitis A & B at minimum, don't take any chances. I'm not a doctor, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

07-Jul-16
If you go to your local travel health clinic they will contact CDC for their recommendations. I would suggest in addition to what you have done is a Polio shot. CDC recommended to me.

08-Jul-16
Sorry....I know there is no shot for C. I meant to say Hep A and B. My brain is mush as so many people are contracting C in this area due to IV drug use.

08-Jul-16
I think the biggest concern for hunters traveling to Africa is in regards to whether to take anti-malarial medication. Medications can have some pretty serious and bizarre side effects. If you are going to an area where malaria concerns are borderline, you really need to read up on the various medications and side effects before deciding whether to take the medication or risk possible side effects. My physician gave me the option of anti-malarial medication and after doing a lot of reading and consulting with my physician and PH, I declined to take it as the risk where I was going was minimal while the risk of side effects was much greater.

09-Jul-16
It is the winter flu season in southern African and I caught the flu on my last trip to Namibia so I also recommend getting a flu shot before going along with Tetanus and Hepatitis A&B.

09-Jul-16
I would listen to a MD concerning "immunization shots". I would listen to a PH concerning "shot placement"

Africa ain't the US and inspite of Obamacare US medical facilities and services are better than African medical facilities and services.

I would suggest abiding by CDC recommendations. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. " Ben Franklin

• Sitka Gear