GotBowAz 25-Aug-16
Cheesehead Mike 26-Aug-16
Bou'bound 26-Aug-16
Ziek 26-Aug-16
x-man 26-Aug-16
12-Jul-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
If any of you have a Mathews Halon and Pro-Pod bow pod you know that the bow pod will not work on the wider Halon limbs.

The bow pod wasn’t doing me any good as it was so I thought I would try to modify it to work with the Halon.

After giving it some thought I made some measurements and spent a few minutes with my Dremel tool making the opening on the bow pod bigger.

After opening it up with the Dremel tool I used some sandpaper to knock down the rough spots and then I put some strips of moleskin on the jaws.

12-Jul-16
what's a bow pod for

12-Jul-16
"what's a bow pod for"

It's like a kickstand for your bow. You clip it on your bottom limb while pulling arrows etc if you don't have a bow hanger so you don't have to lay your bow in the dirt. Used by a lot of 3D shooters, myself included.

12-Jul-16

The bow pod is too tall and makes the Halon lean backward too much so I experimented with shortening the legs until I found what I think is a good length for the legs.

The end result is that the bow pod is now usable with the Halon and it’s now shorter and lighter than it originally was.

12-Jul-16

12-Jul-16

12-Jul-16
Saw one last weekend. Didn't ask who made it but one is available. Call Lancasters.

12-Jul-16
Mike great job with the tweaking of that bow pod!! Let me ask you about the wood on the walls in the back ground of your pictures. Is that old barn wood? If so did you buy it somewhere or have your own "old barn" to extract it from?

12-Jul-16
Mike, can you shoot with the pod attached to the limb?

12-Jul-16
You hit real low when you do that...............

12-Jul-16
longbeard,

Thanks and yes it's old barn wood, it came from an old barn in the area.

Kevin,

I haven't shot with the pod attached but I plan to experiment with it...

WapitiBob,

I figured somebody would make one eventually but I had this one laying around and a half hour to kill...

I suspect that the pod will effect arrow impact but I'll experiment and see what it does.

12-Jul-16
I think Bow Pods are available in different heights, but not sure about width for apparently wider Halon limbs.

I shoot with mine on for turkeys and doesn't make a bit of difference with Hoyt Matrix. But I guess one needs to try it to be sure.

12-Jul-16
Not a good idea to leave them on Hoyt podiums.

25-Aug-16
Just an update, I shot my Halon the other day with the bow pod on and it had zero affect.

25-Aug-16
Just from an engineering perspective, the modified pod, set up right next to the riser as shown SHOULD have much less of effect on shooting than in the same spot on a Hoyt with their limb attachment system that allows the entire limb to "work".

Nice work Cheesehead.

25-Aug-16
I did a little shooting with mine on my Helium before Africa, and it didn't make any difference. but I was attaching it higher up the limb, right under the riser

25-Aug-16
Great job on the modifications. I have never liked the bow pod because they force the bow to sit on the cam and string. If they were made to keep the cam off the ground I might consider it but id rather my riser which is tougher than the cams and strings to lay on the ground surface. IMO, the cam is just too delicate and small of a surface.

Is there a bow pod out there that supports the bow but doesn't sit on the cams?

26-Aug-16
Thanks guys and I agree with you GotBowAz that sitting on the cam and string makes me nervous but I usually use it while elk hunting and I find a soft spot to set it. That gives me an idea, maybe I'll get a little piece of soft material of some kind to put on the ground for the cam to sit on...

26-Aug-16
Remember that thing on this site a few years ago where you put it on Lower cam and could use your bow as a walking stick or some such none sense

26-Aug-16
"what's a bow pod for"

Except in very limited circumstances (like in the above photos), grinding dirt into your lower cam and string.

26-Aug-16
I don't use mine for hunting, but I do for targets and 3D. I don't set the cam on the ground though, I rest the bow on the pod and stabilizer.

• Sitka Gear