smarba 13-Jul-16
Ridge Ghost 13-Jul-16
jst.pursuit 13-Jul-16
Jaquomo 13-Jul-16
Surfbow 14-Jul-16
jst.pursuit 14-Jul-16
Surfbow 15-Jul-16
12-Jul-16
I am planning out a mule deer hunt in the Flattop Wilderness in Colorado this fall and am currently reading Dwight Schuh: Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer. In an attempt to learn everything I can before September, does anyone have any other books that they recommend? Or tips for the trip? I am an avid and overly obsessed whitetail hunter who has hunted elk and antelope in the past but am slightly lost on mule deer currently. A buddy and I are planning on backpacking in a couple miles from the road and hunting from there. Any book suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

12-Jul-16
After you finish Dwights book, read it again! Seriously. Another suggestion is Backcountry Bowhunting by Hanes has some good stuff in it as well but you are holding the best one right now.

You will have a blast spot and stalk hunting especially if you have just stand hunted whitetails. Its tough but fun.

12-Jul-16
Agree that Dwight Schuh's book is the bible for open country spot and stalk mule deer. I have read all the above listed books and many more. There is nothing as good as Schuh.

12-Jul-16
Robby Denning's Hunting Big Mule Deer is another great resource.

12-Jul-16
I have all of those books...but I don't have a nice muley on the wall yet. Maybe I should read them again! The bad luck streak has to end for my sanity.

12-Jul-16
I enjoyed David Long's.

What ever happened to that guy?

13-Jul-16
Dwight's book pertains to nearly every species I hunt.

Read it several times and you can't go wrong.

I've read the others mentioned and while good, rereading Dwight's is more valuable IMO. Maybe it's just that I read Dwight's first, but I love that book!

13-Jul-16
Hunting Big Mule Deer by Robby Denning just came out this year and it's a good read.

13-Jul-16
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. I have a bit of reading ahead of me!

The deer in the flattops won't know what hit 'em!

13-Jul-16
Darner's book didn't tell the "real" story about how and where he found those big bucks.... Came out later in court testimony.

14-Jul-16
jst.pursuit, I don't know where in the Flat Tops you're hunting, but get ready for some tough hiking and get up to/above treeline to find the deer if you're thinking 'open country'...

14-Jul-16
Surebow I sent you a pm!

I have a tag for unit 25 and 26 but plan on hunting 25. I have never been there before so any info would be greatly appreciated!

15-Jul-16
Didn't get a PM yet...

• Sitka Gear