ELKMAN 30-Sep-16
Tatonka 30-Sep-16
Rut Nut 30-Sep-16
Bigdan 03-Oct-16
Bigdan 03-Oct-16
Jodie 03-Oct-16
Bigdan 03-Oct-16
13-Jul-16
For you guys that are headed to the breaks for your hunt this year. Its going to be Loaded of sweet clover. We have got 8 days of rain and over 5 inches total. The horns will be great. Its mid July and its looks like may. everything is green.

13-Jul-16
I like it best when it starts to rain late Saturday night during season and all the guys with gethomeitis leave Sunday p.m. The roads are a marvel to see.

The only bad thing about all the clover is the noise.

Mulies have really started to come back, too. Although there aren't a lot of mature bucks, the numbers are rising.

13-Jul-16
With 5 inches of rain there is no driving around

13-Jul-16
Greta to hear. I'm headed there to hunt with Ernie Joblonsky in late September.

13-Jul-16
Dan,

Funny, we are in a serious drought here in Ohio. As long as we can get around when we are there it's all good.

See you in about 7 weeks!!

14-Jul-16
You may have to chop you way through the grass with one of them big jungle knives

14-Jul-16
Sounds great. Have 3 weeks blocked out for September. Elk and deer tag burning a hole in my pocket. This will be my first time hunting in Montana and hunting 410 to boot.

14-Jul-16
I won't be hunting over there but that's great to hear. Amazing how different things can be a few hours away. We are way short on moisture in Bozeman for the summer and Billings had it lowest rain total in 85 years for June. We did just get over an inch last weekend so that was good. It's getting close!!

14-Jul-16
So if we are not fighting the muck it will be the sweet clover:)

At least they should be fat and lazy!!!!

14-Jul-16
More rain today that makes 8 days of rain out of the 14 days in july

18-Jul-16
We got another 1/2 inch of rain last night So any one that going scouting needs to stayhome for 4 or 5 days mite be good this weekend.

18-Jul-16
My guess is if folks eventually do go scouting, skip your Red Cross blood donation. You will already have donated to eastern MT.

18-Jul-16
Bugs are bad . Flies are worst than Mosquitos . Best of luck guys. Hunt

18-Jul-16
So do elk eat sweet clover?

18-Jul-16
I won't be in the breaks this year. We were there in 2011. The sweet clover was insane. It makes it very difficult to hunt when that stuff dries out. It gets so noisy to try stalking in.

Also, I was there in 2014, when the mosquitos literally would carry you away. The most miserable mosquitos I have ever dealt with... but it is still a great place to hunt. It beats sitting at home on the couch!!! Good luck guys!

18-Jul-16
As long as its green they love it. When the leaves fall off and it drys up no.

18-Jul-16
The bugs are along the river but you will have some near the river about 1/2 mile. Make sure you have a Thermacell with you.

18-Jul-16
Trax,

In 2014 the bugs were horrible everywhere. I literally packed bug spray and reapplied as I sweated it off. The mosquitos in 2014 were caused by the 10" of rain they got in like a day towards the end of August. You didn't have to be anywhere near the river. Filled up every nook and cranny with water and gave the skeeters millions of places to breed.

This year about a 99% chance the bugs will only be around the river.

18-Jul-16
Like Dan said... take a Thermacell. We were well over a mile from the lake, and the mosquitos were horrible that year.

I remember getting out of the truck to scout out a spot for the tent, and my white shirt was covered in mosquitos almost instantly. I knew it was going to be fun dealing with them immediately....

But the first time I was out there, they were not an issue at all.

19-Jul-16
After a 90 for the high today we got another 1/2 inch of rain tonight

19-Jul-16
A couple years back the bugs were everywhere. Crossing some of the coulees south of the Musselshell involved use of deet. This year could be as bad. A lot will depend on how hot and dry it gets the rest of the summer.

There are a ton of mosquito species, your yard probably had a dozen or more, but one of those in the breaks almost looks fuzzy. I'm not particularly sensitive to mosquitoes but those really give me the itches.

19-Jul-16
Stock tanks and the river is were they water most of the springs are Alaki Nothing drinks there. There is two creeks that run from the little Rockeys to the river that are fresh in the western part of 622

26-Jul-16
My experience in the Breaks is that the heat will dictate elk behavior. They will likely not be herded up, yet. There may be some bull running with cows, but not rutting. The Bulls will likely be bugling down along the Missouri River in the Willows, but not likely in the Breaks. If it hot, the elk will bed down early in the morning and will not come out in the evening until late. The other problem will be the other hunters, like you, they are excited about the season to start and may affect any plans you have, so have a plan B and plan C. And if it rains, plan for a little mud.

26-Jul-16
Few years back they broke the dams on 18 or so reservoirs south of the Mqusselshell. They then dug a very deep low volume well, put in miles of black pipe and giant tire tanks. Not sure where they are but likely many don't have a tree near them. All this because the ponds went alkali.

They do some watering in the very bottom, lower end of some coulees. You would be surprised at where water shows up in that country.

28-Jul-16
On another note......we will have a day between finishing up our hunt and having to fly out of Billings. What would be some cool stuff to do or see with my dad (63) and another father/son duo? I am familiar with NW Mt, but not this area.

30-Jul-16
Spent some time talking with a fellow whose family owned a ranch south of the Mqusselshell by Valentine road area. He had just made a tour of the area and said while there is sweet clover, it's not a big clover year.

03-Aug-16
Just joined Bowsite and found this forum. Thanks for all the great information. I’m planning on putting my boat in at Crooked Creek, but I noticed that some years the water level is too low to use the boat ramp. Anyone know what the water level is like this year? Heading in to hunt the last week of September, under the new moon.

04-Aug-16
Be careful with the bug spray boys. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment has been destroyed by that poison in one fashion or another, not to mention what it is doing to you. (Especially optics)

04-Aug-16
Not familiar with a crooked creek boat ramp but I can't imagine it would be high and dry. Lake isn't high but it's not too low either.

04-Aug-16
Great reminder Elkman, if you want to strip an aluminum boat all the way down to the bare metal that bug juice works great. Don't ask how I know.

04-Aug-16
Changing topics on you guys, planning for the breaks and want to know in general how long after a soaking rain (.25") are the the roads impassable assuming dry weather after the rain. Is it a 2 day wait or more like 4? Thanks.

04-Aug-16
Two days of dry days gets you back on track

04-Aug-16
If the wind is high it's even less. I've spent 3 days in a trailer because we thought it would just be a light rain. You can walk in it as long as you don't mind 10 pound feet.

05-Aug-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Took this photo about 6pm Thats what the feed looks like here in Montana today

05-Aug-16
Dan,

Lots of clover!

Getting close now. Give me a call when you get cell service.

05-Aug-16
I have heard of drones flying private land perimeters monitoring water tanks, fences and cattle in the breaks south of the river. Catching on with ranchers I guess. I also was told Montana had a new UAV law where drone pilots can get training and certification on drones for commercial private land applications. Might work good for catching trespassers on private lands and monitoring cattle, water and fences in rough country.

05-Aug-16
i have not tryed to shoot a drone out of the Sky with my Bow&arra set

08-Aug-16
Well git-er-done! LOL!

11-Aug-16
Last night we got another 1.74 inches of rain It filled my 300 gal water tank in 45 min it only had 50gal left in it. I water my tomato plants with it

13-Aug-16
I just got back from spending about 8 hours on the south side of the river I found road after road that was closed do to wash outs One hole road the Mtn slipped away I don't know it it will ever be open again the road is about 200 ft below were the road was some trees are 300 ft from were they were before the slide think you had better make a few calls and find out if the roads you want to use is open or if it will be open by sept 1.

14-Aug-16
Oh shit no you are going to break our tomato market lol Lewis

14-Aug-16
I only have two plants this year one big ones the other cherry only watered with rain water

14-Aug-16
Bigdan - What road on the South side was washed away 200'? Horse Camp Trail or 377 that cross Crooked Creek? Thanks for your update, really appreciate it for planning.

14-Aug-16
Its in unit 417 both Middle Two Calf and Lower Two Calf are closed along with Heller bottom & Sunshine ridge We were scouting for sheep in 482

17-Aug-16
Going be my first time in 410 and wondering about the water situation for camp. Do I need to bring it with me or are there plenty of water sources that I can use the filter pump on?

17-Aug-16
You must bring your water with you There is none around that you can drink you can pick up water in places like Roy or any of the small towns. There are no springs or creeks that you can drink out of in 410

17-Aug-16
Agree with Bigdan.

17-Aug-16
We come over 95 miles to camp in the breaks and often bring a 55 gallon drum. We have it rigged so we can use a garden hose to fill the camper and other items.

Here's a way to extend your water.

Take a 2-3 quart laundry soap bottle, cut the pour spout out, drill eight 1/8" holes in one half the top. You can do a complete bath with this much water.

Helps to rinse the soap out first.

18-Aug-16
Its been raining most of the night. Yesturday it was 90 we put up some tree stands. Today we will just stay in camp. The roads were good with just a few mud holes. But some of the places we went no one has been into all summer. It still looks like May here.

18-Aug-16
In my experience hunting along the Missouri River in 410 it is the hunting pressure more than anything that keeps the elk in the willows in daylight hours.

If you are smart about hunting them they will be out during daylight but when they feel pressured they will get in and stay in those jungles of willows until its dark and return to them before sun up.

18-Aug-16
Thursday, almost 830 pm watching the weather channel. Looks for Roy, MT and select the weather in motion option. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not near Kipp campground, especially north of the river.

18-Aug-16
Another 1/2 of rain started about 6:30 pm still going. I have never seen it this wet here in the summer

19-Aug-16
Hope it stops this nonsense by the 10th!

How are the bugs?

19-Aug-16
Bugs on the river are bad but up in the breaks not bad. When we put out are stands and looked for sheep very few roads have had a traffic on them all summer. And I have never seen it this green here this late in the year. The last two years the ranches around here have not got a hay crop This year there putting up there second cutting

19-Aug-16
We hunted the breaks for 8 years. Wonderful place to hunt! Amazing quality of game there as well. One thing to remember is in the breaks, SOMETHING will always happen you didn't plan for.

in '14 it was the 20 inches of rain 2 weeks prior to the season start. The Mosquitos where so damn bad that they would wind surf on centranilla candles and would smoke 100% pure deet in a glass pipe, then come bite you and suck your bloody like a ravaged vampire.. I still have a scar on my right hand where my gloves didn't cover a little 1/2 piece of flesh. I so many bites in that one 1/2 area that it took 4 months to totally heal.. If you managed to find a bug suit the buzzing/humming noise in your ear was so loud you couldn't hear the elk coming in..

Point of the story is.. expect the unexpected and in the break (which I love hunting) multiply the pain and frustration by at lease 300%..

Good luck all you arrow slingers! Have a safe hunt and good conditions! This year it's the belts for me!!

MrAxten

19-Aug-16
Thanks for the water advice. Going to bring 4 6gallon jugs just hate to haul all that weight from Virginia.

Any suggestion on processors near 410 if we happen to get lucky.

19-Aug-16
I would wait tell you get to Montana to fill them. you will drive through several towns that have good water. There is one of the best meat cutters in Montana in Zortman Monty Smith

19-Aug-16
If you are south of the river, Stahl's meat processing in Grass Range do an excellent job.

19-Aug-16
Bigdan, Do you have any idea if Monty has the means to ship meat. I am trying to figure out the most economical way to get meat back to MS. We might end up just renting a car and driving it home!!

19-Aug-16
I think you would have to pick it up and take it to UPS or fed X your self in Billings it takes a day to get things from here to Billings

19-Aug-16
Ten4

24-Aug-16
What a diffrence today I had to start the fire in the stove today the high today was 55 and no rain

24-Aug-16
Man!!!! 95 and high humidity a with rain here in Ms.

24-Aug-16
Sweet!

25-Aug-16

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Blue Suede shoes are replaced by mudluks when it rains

26-Aug-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Well another day we got another 1/2 inch of rain hail combo today you can see it comming off the deck roof

26-Aug-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

29-Aug-16
I was over for one last glassing session for Saturday night and Sunday morning . The bugs are bad at first and last light of the wind stops blowing. Still very green with water on every low spot. Best of luck guys. Hunt

29-Aug-16
A few bugles before light was it on Sunday. Hunt

29-Aug-16
When your here you need to take a night off and go and watch the elk show at Slippery Ann. you with here bugles about ever 5 sec.

29-Aug-16
Year's back, per your recommendation BIGDAN, my brother and I stopped in at Slippery Ann's. Great experience for sure! We actually pulled in there the night before (after dark) just needing a place to camp. We had huge bulls running all around the vehicle while we were driving on the entrance road. Crazy experience! We saw the show the next evening and it was a great time! TODDY

31-Aug-16
It has not been that hot And nothing is drying out it looks like may here green

31-Aug-16
They were calling for 90s but the high was 82the 90s were in the western part of Montana

31-Aug-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
the elk show in Slippery Ann is a must see if you're in the area. We counted over 400 elk in this meadow by the river that evening.

04-Sep-16
Saturday opening day was a good day heard some bugles. This morning got into some bulls but it started raining about 8am and its still raining and its 9pm. There calling for mid 60s for the next 5 days and i hope the rain stops soon . Our hunt in the morning will be a no go. Just hope the rain stops soon.

05-Sep-16
Labor day rain all night the breaks are not the place to be today. Lots of gumbo just started the fire in the cabin

05-Sep-16
Had to leave Saturday night . Made it out just in time . Good luck to the guys still out there . It's nasty out there. Hunt

06-Sep-16
Anyone have a mosquito/bug report? Thanks

07-Sep-16
Got up this morning its been raining all night. So it looks like watching fox news this morning and staying out of the gumbo.

07-Sep-16
Bigdan have you been down by the river? just wondering on the mosquitos? Last year wasn't bad but 14'was terrible!

07-Sep-16
Bigdan have you been down by the river? just wondering on the mosquitos? Last year wasn't bad but 14'was terrible!

07-Sep-16
No I have not been near the river at all. last night i was on a water hole and I killed a few Mosquitos that were bugging me. The weather has cooled off so I look for it to be better

09-Sep-16
Got up at 5am Its raining .05 so far and its 44 this morning. 4 day of rain so far in sept.

15-Sep-16
Up at 5am this morning its been raining all night we have.08 so far but its picked up in the last few min.

15-Sep-16
A buddy came back said a 400+ bull was killed south of river,and they all taged out!! 2 smaller Bulls, good luck looks like rain now:(

15-Sep-16
0.29 so far and its still raining

18-Sep-16
Interesting weather forecast for the breaks. I would be thinking about possibly getting out of there for next week and weekend.

18-Sep-16
I would be their right now if your planing it!!!

21-Sep-16
I think I know the answer to this one but I'll ask it anyway. I have the 700 tag.I'm off from From Sat till next Sun. The plan is to camp at crooked creek and hunt the south side of the lake with the boat. I fish the area extensively so i know the lake well. What i don't know is Crooked Creek itself. Never been there by vehicle. So the forecast is for 3-4 days of rain. I've experienced the "joys" of Montana gumbo a couple of times before and don't want to take any chances. Anyway, I had someone tell me that the road road from Winnett is all gravel and is and all-weather road. I have a hard time believing this. If I can at least get there then I'll just go fishing till things dry out. I don't want to waste a couple of days of my vacation just sitting around.The Regina road is graveled pretty decent but can a get into Fourchette Bay after 3-4 days of rain? At worst I can go to Rock Creek on the North road and fish for a couple days but I would prefer to stay on the west end where I'll be elk hunting. Any ideas on what the road conditions will be like?

21-Sep-16
if it rains as much as they are predicting the roads will not be passable. there are a few steep spots that I would not want to attempt in a pick-up let alone pulling a boat.

21-Sep-16
1simplemann,

The road from Winnet to the Crooked Creek boat launch is an all weather road.

21-Sep-16
Well i'm warm in my cabin with dry feet went to town saw a guy on the road that was pulling a 4000 lb mud ball on his trailor. There mite have been a 4 wheeler under it.

21-Sep-16
I think I'm just gonna go fishing at Rock Creek for a few days. If the rains stops Sat. night, do you think it will be dried up enough to hunt by Monday?

22-Sep-16
Calling for 2 to 3 inches tomorrow if it happens I would wait till tuesday

22-Sep-16
launching at Rock Creek to hunt area 700 is a long long boat ride bring lots of gas

22-Sep-16
Rain all night and lots of wind this morning. If you headed this way I would think twice and not get off the pavement If you in the breaks I would not try and get out for a few days

22-Sep-16
schindler, I have no plans of hunting Rock Creek. just fishing. Making lemonade out of lemons. When things dry up then I'll pack up and head to to Crooked Creek. Like BigDan said it may not be until Tuesday although Monday would be better but I'mm pretty sure a guy won't be able to walk in that stuff for a few days after the rain stops especially the willows. I have some buddies down in there this week. I feel bad for them. This basically kills their whole week.

22-Sep-16
1 1/2 inches of rain sence last night Hunters will be stuck were there at for a few days and no one will be getting in to were there at

22-Sep-16
Where did the new potential world record come from in Montana? Was that a breaks bull. 429 net I heard

22-Sep-16
One of the 900 units in SW Montana Powder River area

22-Sep-16
The road into Rock Creek is gonna be much worse than the road into the Crooked Creek boat launch.

22-Sep-16
Just went over the 2 inch mark

22-Sep-16

5575's embedded Photo
5575's embedded Photo
This photo was taken a couple days ago of a bull on one of the islands. They saw him while glassing for sheep.

23-Sep-16
Taking the North Rock Creek road. All gravel. Only 9 miles. South road is treacherous when wet.

23-Sep-16
As far as that big bull goes. so far I've heard near slippery Ann, UL Bend, "somewhere in 700" and now 900 tag area . Who knows. he ain't telling!

23-Sep-16
I'm staying in my cabin I can see some blue maybe sunday I can go out and try

24-Sep-16
Bigdan, How long do you think a guy has to wait till he can actually hunt? especially a place like the willows. My partner thinks we'll be hunting by monday, I told him it's be better to wait till Tuesday. He hasn't experienced gumbo yet so he's anxious to get after them. I told "patience, my young patawon, patience" to steal a line from StarWars.

24-Sep-16
Well 12 hours with no rain will help and the wind is blowing a lot. My goal is Monday evening still overcast

26-Sep-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Still a little soft sun all day today and calling for 80s on tuesday. Allthe roads look like that off the all weather roads

26-Sep-16
I think it's awesome that the Breaks is loved so much that it has it's own thread on weather conditions and I think we're extremely fortunate to have a local resident (Big Dan) for the play by play on the conditions. Thank you for the constant help big guy!

26-Sep-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Went out today to put up a tree stand It has not rained in 2 1/2 days roads are still not that good this spot I could see the the local rancher pull several rig out of the mud

26-Sep-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Another part of the road

28-Sep-16
It was in the high 80s today Road has dried out big time but there are some big ruts and you can walk around and not get stickey foot

28-Sep-16
I can see why on public land they are closing more and more remote roads. Look at the damage and erosion caused by vehicles.

30-Sep-16
Looks fun...

30-Sep-16

Tatonka's embedded Photo
Tatonka's embedded Photo
They're all at Slippery Ann in 621...

30-Sep-16

Well i'm warm in my cabin with dry feet went to town saw a guy on the road that was pulling a 4000 lb mud ball on his trailor. There mite have been a 4 wheeler under it.

LMBO! I can picture that! :)

03-Oct-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Well rain all night this is what the dry creeks look like this morning.

03-Oct-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Well rain all night this is what the dry creeks look like this morning.

03-Oct-16
I hear it is very wet south of the river too, with more to come.

03-Oct-16
Its been raining all day when it stops it will take 3 or 4 days of warm windy weather for it to get back to normal

• Sitka Gear